for While We're Waiting

7/12/2020 c1 21Toaofwriting
I'm loving this story even more since you started doing your comic. My headcanon is that Fflewddur, Doli, Gwydion, and Coll had a betting pool on these two. Hope all is well!
5/6/2020 c1 2Skyboy91
Sorry it has taken a little longer to get to this review, actual work has been getting in the way!

Again, given my long absence from the chronicles, I thought it would be good to re-read the beginning of THK, and it was a good thing I did, I had forgotten some of those details. So I appreciate more now some of Zosia’s writing, and her thoughts on a possible relationship between Gwydion and Achren – it does seem like LA hints at some affection there. I like the line here that Achren won’t leave his bedside.

I also like how you folded this story right into that chapter. THK describes that Eilonwy went to help Dallben and Achren with Gwydion… and you came up with a perfect explanation on why she stepped out for a while. It’s interesting that you chose the present tense, it gives the prose a different feel and I suppose, a sense of urgency for the short time they have together here. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on why you did that. You can sense their deep frustration, that they have had no time together before pressing events prevented a more joyful (and possibly much more momentous) reunion from happening.

I love the “sheep shorn by a blind man” line, that is so LA, and so Eilonwy. And their bit of banter after that, and her wide-eyed look – and the brightness of the bauble - giving away her heightened emotions, when he comes back in shirtless after his “bath.” Maybe a nice confirmation for the young man, that his feelings are not necessarily a one way street. Her pressing close to him, and his being forced to look at her lovely throat…well, Taran shows admirable restraint. It is such a rich and deep feeling to have a woman run her fingers through your hair, and vice versa, when opportunity permits. Not just any barber visit, this, and probably the most memorable in a lifetime.

Interesting the discussion on shaving without a mirror, not sure I have tried that before! I can see where if you had learned to do it that way, using a mirror would be awkward later on. In my case, it’s exactly that way tying a tie, it’s actually easier without a mirror, so I’m sure the concept makes perfect sense.

It’s a shame they couldn’t at least get a quick smooch in here, but her touch of his cheek at the end, and her whispered words, were for him probably even better, and maybe brought his soul back to feeling a little more whole and at ease after their long separation.

What a well written and emotionally charged story…and a provocative addition to my own old internal memories of the THK! It will always be changed for me now…you just excel at this kind of story augmentation and emotional tension building - I can see why you love this one so much.

As always, thank you for sharing your beautiful writing.
2/9/2020 c1 4IJustLikeStores
I really love this! It feels very true to the original stories, especially in the writing style. I can't get enough of your Taran/Eilonwy stories!
6/8/2019 c1 67everlovin
Loved this
5/29/2019 c1 1Darkwood Princess
This is awesome, as usual. I love how you build the tension between Taran and Eilonwy and just how organic your work feels. It always sounds believable, especially the references to other characters like Teleria that pull everything together, and all your writing is great! Cutting one's hair with a sword is never a great choice, but at least Taran has Eilonwy to fix it. Thanks for posting this fun piece. 3
5/10/2019 c1 68NullNoMore
All hail the slooooooow burn, and this is exactly right and therefore appreciated because it is a fire that has to be carefully banked for really good reasons, both personal and world-saving ones. I like that it feels like they are learning about their own selves as they are noticing things about the other.

Oh, this was delicious.
4/21/2019 c1 3The Wind in May
Oh lol the "guest" who wrote the previous comment was me... guess I didn't log in...
4/20/2019 c1 Guest
Not only is this fluff adorable and well written, but it also is weirdly like ASMR? Who knew that reading about a haircut is as relaxing as having someone actually cut your hair? Maybe it's just synesthesia but dang... I feel so calm now!
4/16/2019 c1 WalkingOnTheStars
Guh, this was exactly what I needed today — the perfect amount of fluff and intensity. ️
4/15/2019 c1 Guest
Love love love love love this! 3
4/14/2019 c1 72Belfast Docks
I always love T/E fluff, so I was happy to see another story from you set at the start of THK! I particularly liked the way you had Eilonwy's bauble channeling her emotions, that was a lovely touch. I hope you are doing well, it's always good to see your writing!
4/12/2019 c1 25adaon45
How do I love this story? Let me count the ways . . .
Alas, that's the problem: I never have time to list them all. If I don't review one of your stories, it's not because I haven't read it, but rather because I never have enough time these days to list all the felicitous turns of phrase in your writing, and to note all the uncannily perceptive ways you get inside these characters' heads. Here, let me say at least that you succeed marvelously in capturing Eilonwy's creative similes; the one where she says he looks like a "sheep shorn by a blind man" is a particular favorite. Again, I wish I had time to say more! I am so hoping, by the way, you get back to your version of The Black Cauldron.
4/12/2019 c1 Guest
Omg this was adorable! I love them.