FanFiction.Net
for Out of Office

9/12/2021 c1 33piccolabimba
I just reread Anne of Ingleside and wondered if anyone had written about that trip to Europe. Wasn't I glad to find your story! The focus shifts in the books to the kids (LMM explains why, times and all), but it's nice to see grown up Anne and Gil and their adventure in Europe. Thanks for writing!
7/29/2021 c13 1Andrea1984
Joseph Mohr was born in Salzburg, Steingasse 31, not Steingasse 9.

Salzburg is a wounderful city, I live there.
You write the details about the Festung Hohnensalzburg allright.

Cu

Andraa
7/29/2021 c11 Andrea1984
Anne was born in March 1865, but an excacte date was never known.

I like this story so much.

Cu

Andrea
7/10/2021 c13 Thephonyqueen
Happy 2 year anniversary! Just want to let you know how much I have enjoyed this story:-)
2/14/2021 c1 Guest
Drink,
I saw your comment defending another author and really, you are way too hard on yourself.
Some readers just want stuff about sex but that’s what the M section is for.
It’s very brave to put yourself out there for comments but please don’t take it personally.
You have an international audience and there’s just no way you can make everyone happy.
Keep at it when you have the time, you are very talented, and remember, don’t take it too seriously, just have fun with it!
2/13/2021 c13 Alinya
I do love a good window seat view. A former boyfriend felt this was odd and always felt a compulsion go talk to me if I just tried looking out the window, because clearly that was dull. Where’s a Gilbert when you need one, I ask?

Anne is much more herself here, and indulging all kinds of fantasies. Even the glimpse into her past, as upsetting as it is, can’t spoil her day. Though fish on a stick...you know what guides never made me do? Fish on a stick. Banana boats, marshmallows, a disastrous affair involving macaroni, a Coleman stove and three hours of my life, but not once did we do fish on a stick. Not even on wilderness canoe trips. Gilbert is welcome to it ;) And I quite like fish. But the mess!

Some lovely little romantic interludes, I see, and news from the children! No wonder Anne is delighted. The brush with sort of Julie Andrews is the icing on the cake, though.
2/6/2021 c13 Kerstin
Thank you so much for these chapters!
I hope you will write more about Anne and Gilbert being "Out of office " soon!
1/17/2021 c13 Guest
I’m impressed with the length of the chapter and how much detail you put into it.

I feel as if Gilbert is so, I don’t know, nonchalant about the children being absent, and he patronises Anne sometimes. They have a robust sex life for sure, but I’d like to see them have more of an emotional connection as well. The travel details are beautifully done but try to explore more of their personalities in this story.
It doesn’t have to be angsty but this trip should be more than about re-igniting their sex lives. (Which is very important-don’t get me wrong!)

Your writing is getting stronger with each chapter- you must keep it up when you have the time.
I like your writing style because you don’t overdo it and the language fits for the age period. It is not an easy task but you definitely do your homework.

Stay safe.
1/13/2021 c13 Guest
Am I crazy or was this chapter already posted?
11/17/2020 c4 Denie1943
A lovely travel log, but the second honeymoon is lacking on all fronts. Think I will have to skip the rest.
11/17/2020 c2 Denie1943
Now surely your imagination is better than that brush off of their romantic interlude. I will hope you will warm to the task.
10/17/2020 c15 Kerstin
Congratulations on your baby!

Great You go one Wirtin!
10/12/2020 c15 42oz diva
Welcome back and no apologies necessary (ever really, but particularly not after the year you have had).
I'm a bit like Anne, Vienna was grand but lacked soul, but then I'd just come up from Italy and was rather dismayed by the cultural differences. I far preferred Salzburg where I met a nice boy who showed me around...

It's lovely to see these two still enjoying each other, or perhaps reconnecting after all this time. One of the benefits of a late honeymoon, I guess. Considering Marilla is looking after five energetic children, I'm not surprised Rachel's advising that she takes a rest now and again. Gilbert's reaction to Anne's lack of argument was wonderful, he's not the type to want a submissive wife. I hope this isn't anything serious.

Anne's reaction to the dungeons was quite visceral and I'm not surprised Gilbert found that unsettling. All too often writers (LMM included) brushed over that part of her life, but it's obvious reading between the lines that it was quite awful and it's interesting to see how little things can still trigger her all these years later.

Schnapps! What would Mrs Rachel say? I think Marilla (redcurrant wine) would approve though. Our next door neighbour makes quince schnapps from his own fruit, and I have to say that is hard to beat, but it's no surprise that Gil goes for the apple.

I do like the idea of Anne meeting Maria, as impossible as it might be. Surely that's the best thing about FF, we can engineer these impossible meetings and almost get away with it.

I'm assuming this story is loads of fun for you to research and hopefully write. Hard to know what was around or not back then, and its fun for us travellers to revisit a version of the cities we loved so much. A kind of vicarious historical trip. Who knew when you started thinking of this story that this would be the best way we could visit Europe in 2020!
10/12/2020 c15 62TinaLouise88
This was such a sweet chapter, It seems like Salzburg suits Anne and Gilbert very much does it not?

Anne going on about dungeons and comparing it to her early life was quite sad, and shocking to me, not just Gilbert. But I understand it in a way, sometimes you just say and remember things that are shocking to other, but it was just your life.

Aww Shirley found a kitten to rescue lol. Good thing Ingleside has room to spare for cats!
10/12/2020 c15 77kslchen
I apologise for being late to the party! I meant to review this on the weekend, but then life happend, so I didn't. But I'm having a little break between clients at work now, so I shall do this before the opportunity slips away again and who knows when another one will present itself.

But enough about me ;).

Let me begin by saying I was supremely excited to see this story pop up at the top of the page! I knew you were working on something, but I didn't know you'd progressed so far, so what a lovely surprise this was. And how much appreciated the look back at the previous chapter was, too, because my sieve of a brain couldn't really recall much about how we left Anne and Gilbert. That was very helpful!

Also (and I know I said I wouldn't talk about myself anymore, but do bear with me), I was ment to go on a work thingy to Salzburg this September, which of course fell through for virus-related reasons. I was understanding but a little disappointed because I would have loved to have seen it. It's said to be a beautiful place and I've never been, so in the absence of convenient work trips, one of your chapters is really the next best thing! I enjoy your portrayal of Anne and Gilbert, but you know me - I enjoy your depiction of all these cities and places even more ;).

I do like how despite their adventurous travels, Anne and Gilbert always think of their brood and are never happier than when they hear from them. (And I thoroughly approve of Shirley and his choice of pet. You can never got wrong with a kitten!) At the same time though, they're so willing to submerge themselves into these new places they're visiting and make as many memories as possible. I can't say I *approve* of fish on a stick or schnapps, but that might be personal preferences ;).

We can certainly all agree that Anne and Gilbert are experiences Europe to the fullest and I was almost a little sad to hear that they're expected back home in a week. There's so much still to see!
182 Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »