FanFiction.Net
for Home Now

7/29/2021 c1 1Andrea1984
I like this story so much. Please write some more about Anne, Gilbert and their family.

Andrea
9/16/2020 c1 frostedchinadoll
Yes! I loved the movie as well, and there simply aren’t enough fics in that movie-verse! ️
9/11/2019 c1 DelennTriesTalkingLikeAHuman
Very well written.
9/1/2019 c1 10Excel Aunt
Why is this a one-shot? I would have loved to see you take it from this reunion to Ingleside!

What's to love, your slow build to that final moment. The anticipation was killing me, I got distracted listening to this in the car and started just driving randomly around the neighborhood, forgetful of my chore. Gil in the bathtub was good too, I bet that was heaven for him, and yes, I am sure Anne would have slipped off her clothes and got in too.

And yes, Diana would be the one that would be checking in on Anne. Did she and Fred still have a hard time after losing their wealth?

How proud I was that Anne continued writing. I was fearful that she might have a dog for protection, living alone like that isn't necessarily a good thing.
8/27/2019 c1 3Lavinia Maxwell
I love your ending ;)
8/17/2019 c1 AnneNGil
I loved this this! This was fun. Poor Gilbert!
8/14/2019 c1 77kslchen
For reasons we talked about, I was very glad to see this story pop up :). I've also been meaning to review it since the weekend, but then life happened. Repeatedly. I apologise for my tardiness.

I'm one of those rare creatures that read the books all the way back as a child but didn't see the movies until earlier this year. I was... not *exactly* enamoured with the third one. In fact, I did a play-by-play while watching it and there was a lot of ranting and wailing at the blatant disregard of all historical facts happening ;). That's also why I'm always interested in any story that might make it better.

I found your approach to this story incredibly interesting. The more obvious choice would have been to put the focus on the actual reunion between Anne and Gilbert, but you leave that almost entirely up to the reader's imagination. Instead, this is Gilbert's homecoming more than anything, how he rediscovers the home he shared with Anne and how he retakes possession of it. (Which is not meant to be sound creepy.) He really sheds his past and the experience while he washes and shaves and dresses. He came home a soldier, a prisoner even, but by the time Anne arrives, he's truly back to being Gilbert. He's not just a nameless profession anymore but back to being a person and that is never more apparent than when Anne finally uses his given name after what must have been years. That's a lovely sentiment and a very powerful image.

It's not actually part of the story, but I found your A/N especially interesting. I also have a little story in my head that's been floating around in there for the better part of a decade, but I never came around to writing it. (Maybe someday?) Your description about feeling a bit empty now that you've let this story go after so long really resonated with me. When writing a story and publishing it, you're releasing it from your private space, out into the world. It's definitely not a bad feeling, but it means creating a definite version of a story that has been ever-changing for so long. All I can do is assure you that there will be other stories to fill that little bit of emptiness :).

By the way, you marked this as complete, but just for the record - I'd *totally* read a version of RoI set during WWII!
8/13/2019 c1 4CahillA
I love the concept and where you are going. I'll be honest - I have never been a fan of The Continuing Story but like you, I am a huge fan of the main actors. And I am interested to see where you go without Jack Garrison to distract us from the beloved characters. One of the things I love most about RoI is the emotional depth in the characters during WWI; so I'm interested to see how you incorporate this into your story. So far, I love the 'earthing' of Gil in his home. Many PTSD sufferers value the moments to 'earth' themselves in the familiar and reassure themselves of their own reality. You touched on this nicely.
8/11/2019 c1 xevara
I haven't been reading tv/movie based annefics because I only know the books, but I decided to try this and it reads a lot like book Gilbert. It seems the movies had young Gilbert fighting in the war so I guess they were set in the 1890s or early 1900s-only fair, since the books were set in that period till L.M.M. did her time warp with Rainbow Valley. Anyway, it was still fun to feel Gilbert's excitement here, good job!
8/11/2019 c1 6TLWtlw
I like your version better than the official one.