for In Hope I Live

6/18/2020 c1 69BrokenKestral
Darkness unescapable may indeed be rising up to drown all life; but hopeless striving has always been his lot. - I have found no better expression of what the darkness of these two months feels like, but you, through Faramir, reminded me to keep on. And listen; listen for “ The next call [...], piercing his breast with a note of joy not yet sung.”
8/24/2019 c1 8Fastred of the North
This is great; love the way you integrated Faramir's recurring dream into his recovery at the hands of the Healer.
8/23/2019 c1 earthdragon
Beautiful version of Faramir's recovery from near death. Interesting that he dreamt of the drowning of Númenor, both before his injury and during his illness.
8/23/2019 c1 5SouthwestExpat
Faramir mentions his dream about Numenor foundering to Eowyn, but for some reason I never connected it to the nightmares he had after being wounded during the retreat from Osgiliath - I thought of it as a dream that had happened long before. But it does make sense he would have been remembering a recent dream, especially a recurring one from even before his stay in the Houses of Healing.

The comparison between Faramir and Tar-Miriel is very interesting. The only difference I see is the Akallabeth specifically states Miriel sought the mountain too late, whereas I do not recall Faramir ever being accused of faithlessness or apathy. But Miriel arguably had the worse situation - Denethor presumed too much on his own strength and scorned where hope lay in weakness, but he would have broken before he submitted to Sauron - Faramir never faced the same open persecution of the Faithful that Tar-Miriel constantly witnessed.

The ending, where Aragorn saves Faramir from the darkness and despair reminds me of the end of Psalm 119 - "I have gone astray like a lost sheep; Seek Your servant, For I do not forget Your commandments." Faramir never forgot hope, but his strength was not enough, and he needed to be saved - by his King...