for Light in the Dark

9/3/2020 c25 PearnTree
I'm old enough to have read The Crystal Shard when it first came out. I've always loved the characters, hated the writing. So grateful to have found this. Thank you.
5/4/2020 c25 Guest
Awesome job. Enjoyed it more than some of the full novels.
1/30/2020 c25 32penny4him
Oh, this was a delightful ending! And amusing. I like your sense of humor. Seriously though, the ending was sweet.
"Ready?" he asked.
She gave a small smile, only a little nervous. "Ready."
The final words seem to imply that they are ready for so much more than just a sparring lesson. They're ready for the future. They're ready to take on the world.
Thank you for sharing your writing.
1/30/2020 c24 penny4him
This chapter was the just the most adorable thing! First we have this lovely bit:
"I—that is—" he fumbled, searching for a word. Ash guessed, based on his expression, that he found the admission ridiculous. But she also noticed that he didn't seem that upset by it.
"Foolish? Selfish?" Ash supplied.
Instead of answering, he kissed her.
Can I just saw Aww? And when they talk about being in issinssraka/i:
"At least we will have each other for support while we search for a cure," she said.
"I do not think there is a cure."
She kissed him again.
LOL! Loved it.
Plus, there's more. Kala playing her imaginary sword game with TWO sticks now instead of one. And that adorable part at the end where little Anna tugs on Drizzt's hair. LOL. "I do not want her to think that she should not run if she sees another drow." - He *would* think of that. Totally sweet.
Looking forward to the next chapter.
1/25/2020 c1 1aaronmag
This is a review after the first Chapter. I thought this was a good set up. The questions I had after this chapter are as follows:
1) She and Rainer have never liked each other even though they grew up together. Is her gift with magic the source of it (I know he fears that part of her now, but I just wondered if that was the original source as well).
2) Her aunt and uncle died in a hunting accident...and I'm wondering if there was any foul play by Rainer and his family. It says his aunt and uncle were the 'Kendricks', but I don't know if the Kendricks are related to Rainer. Did the Kendricks die as well? Did Rainer also become the sole surviving member of his family after this accident?
3) I'm wondering why she is such a recluse? Does it relate to her magic ability, or something more? It seems this village uses magic when it is convenient, but shuns magic when it is not convenient.

At any rate I plan on reading more to find out the answers to some of these questions and, of course, see how Drizzt becomes a part of it.
1/21/2020 c25 7Daxxers
Excellent story, Dreth! Ash is a very believable and sympathetic character. Looking forward to more of your stories.
1/19/2020 c23 32penny4him
The whole chapter was a good battle scene. The tension and suspense really came across. Nice job giving the minor characters parts too. And, yay, Drizzt isn't gonna die! :) I like how "Quiet" (was that Zelda?) smiles at him at the end of the chapter.
1/13/2020 c22 penny4him
Lots of interesting uses of magic in this chapter. I liked how Ash and Kelle used their magic together. And Drizzt showed up, only to have Ash accidentally hit him in the face. Oops! LOL. I liked this line: "She was relieved when he looked up at her and looked torn between pain and laughter." Plus, the villagers showed up to help! Yay! The globe of darkness toward the end was a nice tough. Perhaps Drizzt should kind of be used to knowing how to fight without seeing (from using globes of darkness), but he probably mostly places them over enemies. And now he's maybe mortally wounded? Aahh! "Don't die," Ash said. "I will try [not to]." Aww. Looking forward to seeing what Ash does in the next chapter.
1/12/2020 c22 7Daxxers
I like your descriptions of magic use. I can feel Ash's exhaustion.
1/6/2020 c21 32penny4him
Ooh, very cool use of Ash's mind-control-type spell! And it was Drizzt's idea! That's pretty awesome. Maybe he has more idea of the uses of spells than Ash even does at this point due to what he's seen and experienced in Menzoberranzen and other parts of Faerûn.

Rainer is an easy character to hate. ;) Poor Ash. One can hope some of the villagers will have a change of heart and help her. Looking forward to the rest of the story!
1/6/2020 c21 7Daxxers
another good chapter. clear, succinct descriptions and, as always good pacing and action sequences!
12/30/2019 c20 32penny4him
Ah, at last Ash's former neighbors and fellow villagers can see her use her magic to help them in their time of need. Not to mention Drizzt-it must shock them that he defends them after how they treated him.

On a lighter note, I like Drizzt's repeated references to his fight with a basilisk throughout this story. Ash has apparently heard it told too many times, LOL. Then we have this great bit: "He gave a small smile. 'You are a great spellcaster, but your feet are...a little loud.' "

And this was so well written: "He whirled around them, raining innumerable quick blows on both of them while taking none of his own, and she realized that, after a while, she was watching more with admiration than distaste. He made it beautiful to watch."

Looking forward to the rest of the story!
12/21/2019 c19 7Daxxers
Poor girl just cannot get a break.
12/21/2019 c19 32penny4him
Yay, a new chapter! I almost forgot about what had happened in this story since it had been a while. Nice to see Drizzt and Ash's relationship reach a closer stage. Poor Drizzt will probably never allow himself to kiss Ash again (without doing a ton of recon first) since it distracted him from being watchful. Ash is caring more about her former village, whether she admits it to herself or not. You show this nicely. I like how you end your chapters on cliffhangers! Hope the next chapter is ready soon!
12/7/2019 c18 1Shigeki-Hizashi