for Eat, Drink and be Merry

11/14/2019 c1 6arianedartagnan
I loved this story! Perhaps because I've lost my grandmothers and a great-uncle this year, it struck a chord with me. Laura's attitude towards her impending death feels so natural - resigned, accepting, slightly frustrated that it's so hard to make her last day as meaningful as possible. I particularly liked her having to refrain from making a copy of her note out of habit. I also liked how you described her sense that all the events she cared about are in the past, and most of the people she cared about are dead, so her time on earth is done. The ending and its ambiguity over what happens to her - does Honoratus' plan work? Does Laura become a vampire? What does she think about it? - was perfect.
11/12/2019 c1 Sledge
This was actually really good.
10/25/2019 c1 10Anla'shok
I played Vampire: the Masquerade back in the day, and I find some of the atmosphere back in this.

Laura's detachment (for lack of a better word) feels appropriate and often very amusing.
Sentences such as "friendship is of the highest value" show she thinks her life more than she feels it, trying to make it fit her philosophy rather than facing the truth. Her intellect, the fact she's well read, her high-society considerations for class (she's very condescending with the servants, although I'm sure she'd say she was benevolent) make her a believable mage, and the part about writing her memoirs was funny (but again, she figures she should write something because it'd be fitting, there's no real clue if it's something she'd enjoy.)

It's clear from the beginning of their exchange that something is off in her relationship to Honoratus, although the end was a shock (in a good way).
"Then you'll understand why I do not want death to claim you..." And *that* made it particularly obvious that Laura has no clue as to who her apprentice really is.
10/8/2019 c1 23Danny Barefoot
Excellent slow burn dramatic irony, with tension building from 'Hello, this Tremere woman isn't a vampire' to 'Oh dear, she's about to get bitten!'. Laura's philosophical attitude to death, as well as her actual classical philosophy background appropriate for a wizard, comes through very well in many points. Her thoughts about her memoirs were very expressive. Though her appreciation of sunlight was particularly striking in this context, even before it became clear that she was going to be turned. Honoratius' line about not wanting death to claim Laura reveals a personal malice that had been completely hidden in his earlier statements. So suggestively that it's both shocking and convincing. That's really good, and the final lines are grimly appropriate too. I think Laura's lines about lichedom should be a question? The sentence could possibly be split as well. Honoratus' line about blood being 'a rush!' sounds a bit too casual and modern, possibly? It's a significant line, linking human feeding to vampire feeding with the insight that both are very fleeting joys, as suggested by the title. Honoratus might last some time before getting staked, but he will be 'dead' tomorrow, and perhaps has nothing in his unlife so meaningful as the brief animal pleasure of blood-drinking. Definitely a striking and thought-provoking story, as well as being great horror.