for A Storm of Swords

7/31 c32 Raj8
I just finished reading this entire story, overall it was quite interesting and I enjoyed reading it.

I look forward to seeing where exactly you plan on taking this story in the future.
7/29 c32 Anon564
If I remember correctly, the "Will of Gaia" bit was used to describe the fact that "The World" "hates" phantasmal phenomena and that it has ever since the decline of "mysticism" at the end of The Age of Gods and the advent of The Age of Man, when Alaya split from Gaia.
"Gaia" moves to erode "phantasms" because they're basically "glitches" in the system of the World which is why Marble Phantasms, which are the application of a Natural Phenomena in a controlled manner, are thought to be so overpowered and Reality Marbles, which temporarily overwrite the system of the World in a given area and establish a new system with new rules and logic, are considered to be the pinnacle of Thaumaturgy and a forbbiden magecraft, because all magecraft is just hijacking the system for a moment to enact a mystery so magecraft would be, at the least, less useful inside a RM than outside it...but I digress.

So it would be less about the abundance of Mana in the air and it would be more closely tied to how prevalent "mysticism" is in that World.
But you're right, Shirou uses Od, not Mana, to actualize his mysteries so an abudance of Mana is not as empowering to him as it would be to, say, Rin. Though I don't really remember if Shirou knows how to convert Mana to Od.
7/28 c32 Steve
Gaia is not a mana, Gaia is a will of planet. Literally "Earth-Chan", just not remotely as nice. And strength of magecraft (mystery) comes from how many people know it. It's like a finite amount of energy shared between everyone who knows how to use it. The more people know it, the weaker it become. In this case, because only Shirou use it, it would be at it prime. And the "flaws of tracing" are literally Gaia breaking it because she doesn't consider it natural. Without her, without that will, Traced objects don't break on their own.
7/29 c32 10Primordial Inscriptor Z-09
Shirou had Horribly underdeveloped circuits, not sure how much better they are in this life. I hope Natsumi can Confrint her trauma, and even if she is unable to defeat it, show her father his mistake.
7/29 c32 1amerdism
Gotta say was a bit apprehensive of this story, male main characters aren’t my thing I prefer female main characters, they’re less restrictive and more free in their interactions I find, but swallowed my doubts gave the story a shot and haven’t been disappointed, then again, I figured I’d like the story at least somewhat since you wrote it and I’ve read a good chunk of your works to know how good a writer, author and overall storyteller you are so I’m not so surprised. Still, props where they are due and all that, like I said, I dislike male lead stories and avoid them like the plague which I feel is statement enough on its own about how good you are.

Kinda expecting Shirley to find and help Xana considering she’s in weed in ice made of flames so I figure shirou will notice, maybe we’ll see another crush, wouldn’t surprise me, in fact I’m half expecting it. One thing I never understood in canon is why a aria never broke off from the Vongola to form their own familia. They’re lauded to have extremely strong members so strength isn’t the issue, and it’s not like Xanxus was particularly loyal after the whole cradle affair, I get he was loyal to the familia and not the head but given how he was betrayed by one family head and then later learns the next head is a child who knows absolutely nothing about the mafia and adding onto that the fact that he knows he himself can’t inherit as he isn’t of vongola blood, it all just seems far fetched. Xanxus isn’t stupid, he runs a what’s basically a crime syndicate inside a bigger crime syndicate and is loved by his underlings which says a lot about him, he knew the rings wouldn’t accept him but still went though the whole tournament thing and just accepts the next head despite knowing tsuna wasn’t fit for the role, it just seems out of character in my opinion.
7/27 c32 Anon
I think it is a bit different rhe thing about gaia.
When there is more mana in the world, gaia's will and influence is weakened due to all the mysteries around. Duting the age of god gaia and alaya were reduce to powerless spectator in the face of gods and magic. True magic changing the laws if nature.

So Gaia and Alaya truly gained power after the end if abundance of mana (I think I read that in a type moon answer but I could be confused and it could be a fan theorie so take it with a punch of salt)

If we go by that. Then an abundance of mana means a weakened will if gaia. Which mean that the natural degradation of Shirou's projection may nit occur or will be lessened. It means the quality of his projection would steps up and can be on par with the real noble phantasm and may also be more powerful on overdrive (but I dont think Shirou can iverdrive the real deal). He doesnt have more projection or od abd he cannot adapt to surrounding od better. But without Gaia, or with a weakened gaia. He's weapon DO get stronger
7/28 c32 uaeoaeoeoi
On Shirou being stronger in a world with more mana, that mostly depends on how he gets there, in this if he just drops in from canon/near canon timeline than no he wouldn't be, if he gets reincarnated or his age is reversed like in this story then at least in some ways at least due to his canon self having atrophied magic circuits due to never learning to activate them properly from Kiritsugu so he would likely have a lot more Od to work with than he would normally just by virtue of not being the magical equivalent of a paraplegic.
7/27 c32 ID10T-Error
The idea with Gaia is that it is not as much or not at all a presence in other fictional universes. Take Highschool DxD as an example. In this world, the Age of Gods never ended an age brought to an end by two main things, waning belief and Gaia.

The idea that Nasuverse Magecraft gets stronger in other universes comes from two main things confirmed for the Nasuverse. The first is that the strength of a mystery scales inversely with the number of people who know the mystery. This is because the mystery is doing something that is achievable through mundane means, but the method to how is the “mystery” per se. The strength of a mystery is much like a secret in this way, the more people know it, the less it’s a secret. This is one of the reasons Magi families are so secretive in the Nasuverse, and one of the reasons why the Tohsakas and Edefelts hate one another (jewel magecraft). Shirou is the only person who knows Tracing, but the base mystery is Gradiation Air, so his Tracing is somewhat weakened by proxy (though not a massive amount as only he still knows Tracing). Therefore, it stands the reason that Tracing would get strengthened in a universe where knows one knows Gradiation Air. The second aspect is tied to what I mentioned earlier with Gaia. Other universes will have a different and/or no Gaia present within them, and the presence that Gaia has doesn’t necessarily correlate with the amount of mana present. Gaia is not actually the personification of mana as you state. It is the consciousness of the planet. The important thing to note is that Gaia knows that magecraft is an impossibility hence why magecraft has weakened over time and various ages (ex: Age of Gods) have been brought to a close over the course of history. In other universes, Gaia might be weaker or even in a dormant state which would effect the strength of magecraft immensely. The less of a presence Gaia has then the less magecraft costs for more effect because Gaia isn’t trying to correct the impossibility it detects as much. This is why in crossover fanfics where Shirou is in a place where Gaia has less of an influence his projections are less fragile, closer to the original, and have longer time limits before they dissipate. Another thing to mention is that more mana being present in the environment along with the lack of people knowing certain mysteries would allow Shirou to actually draw mana from the environment despite his flaws as a Third Rate Magus.

TL;DR: Nasuverse characters tend to scale up in crossovers due to how restrictive their universe is to magecraft in general. Gaia is not mana made into a personality, but more of the planet made into a personality. Gaia sees magecraft as impossible and tries to correct it, so depending on the state Gaia is in (which does not correlate with amount of mana present), magecraft will become easier or harder to preform.
7/27 c32 14RedBurningDragon
So what your saying is that mana in this world might have started to decline at a later point in history then in Shirou’s world
7/25 c32 Guest
For the thought experiment about Gaia and mana, perhaps. I think the idea is that the more supernatural a setting is the less he has to recreate his traced NPs from the ground up. Noble Phantasms are essentially crystallised legends after all and fame/belief is an influence in their strength, why wouldn't they be just a little big stronger and easier to use in settings where the supernatural is still going strong compared to the essentially dead modern age? Especially in settings where the cultures he traces his NPs from are still going strong (Greek gods and grecian NPs for example). UBW presumably does the heavy lifting and it's a part about recreating an objects experienced history, so I could see an argument about it being easier in certain settings.

Sure one still probably needs to consider things on a case by case basis per setting (especially for non Earth adjacent settings with no Earth mythological influences), which most people don't think of that deeply, but I could see it having some truth generally speaking.

As a second consideration, even if Shirou himself uses Od instead of mana that's not true of all his NPs. Take Gae Bolg for example, a reason it's so cheap for Lancer to use it because it gathers mana from the surroundings to fuel its attack. Or Balmung that stores energy in the jewel in its hilt. There's an argument for them being easier to use when the fuel they run on is more available, even if Shirou himself doesn't directly use mana.

Lastly would depend on Shirou himself and whether he gets a new body in these settings or if it's equivalent to his old one. Shirou has ridiculous efficiency when it comes to swords, but that's pretty much all he has going for him. Otherwise his circuits are absolute crap and he's only redeemed by having an above average number though he honestly doesn't have enough to offset how crappy his actual circuits are. Like, most people really seem to ignore or be ignorant of this fact (which I suppose isn't really relevant if he sticks to swords). If he gets a new body or is put in a setting where humanity has a higher baseline/potential as well as a different method for using magic then Shirou could become significantly better simply due to his ridiculous efficiency being combined with even just average magical prowess in a world where average is higher than his old definition.
7/25 c32 Guest
If I remember right(and it has been a while)the original argument for Shirou being stronger in an environment with higher mana than the ‘vanilla’ Fate-verse is because his body/circuits would have a much easier time processing mana into Od, similar to how a car engine would get more power/run more smoothly using higher grade fuel. Sorry if that was too wordy.
7/27 c32 DoctorHayden
... I can't help but wonder what sources you're reading about Gaia and Alaya and Shirou. Because that sounds absolutely nothing like canon- having seen translations of official material, Shirou's Tracing (for example) doesn't work at all like you say it does, and as far as I know Gaia only actively interferes when Reality Marbles and literal cataclysms are an immediate concern. Unless you're talking about *fanon*, in which case you can toss all that out the window, but I don't like a lot of the usual Nasuverse fanon.

Like, all Type-Moon protagonists break the established rules. That's Nasu's calling card. No need to nerf him in ways that don't make any sense with how the guy originally built his character sheet.
7/25 c32 Kuro
I think with shirous magecraft his interaction with the will of gaia is effected more by wither or not what he is traceing already exist or not. i think with shirou its more of 'hey this weapon already exist and this isn't a replica its an attempt to recreate it out of nothing get that shit outta here' a simply rejection of what the world sees as a fake attempting to be the original
7/25 c32 Sapphireweapon12
Yeah, that is true about the Will of Gaia and how it would work. But there actually is a slight correlation between mana levels and ease of use, though. The more mana that's around, the healthier Gaia would be. The healthier Gaia is, the less potent her hatred in general, given said hatred is due to humanity slowly killing her. Obviously though this is nowhere near absolute, and there will definitely be verses where Gaia just wants humans dead for no real reason, but that would be the general link. With that in mind though, this still only can go so far. Even on a world filled with mana that never developed a Will, there would still be limitations simply because of how Magecraft works- even if his Tracing becomes permanent, it doesn't mean anything if he kills himself from Mana Poisoning each time he even tries using it. After all, even if it isn't filled with malice, too much mana would still be lethal in the same way that water acts as a poison after drinking way too much. A good example I read in one of the Fate crossovers was where Shirou tried opening one Circuit in an Age of the Gods world, and had to immediately project a dozen blades to avoid instantly killing himself, and still wound up with swords out of his body and serious circuit damage, entirely because his circuit acted as a suction in a minimal air environment suddenly exposed to an overpressurized area.
7/25 c32 Greymane
About your thoughts on Mana being in higher abundance- in the world of Fate Stay Night, it is repeatedly stated that Gaia hates humanity, and if humanity uses Gaia itself, the mana, interacts with it, it should only be natural that Gaia would make its essence poisonous to humans.
But in a different world? Say for instance that of Fairy Tail, where Mages are abundant? Even if there is a greater consciousness, the fact that there are near zero people put at a disadvantage means that Gaia is either neutral, or directly supportive of Humans, like for instance in Harry Potter where Magic itself makes prophecies and helps the magically inclined directly survive.
The result of being in a different world, where the Vongola rings are part of the system that allows Gaia to survive- would it not make sense then that Gaia would personally empower all that help it?
It makes sense for Shirou then to be at worst neutral to the world, able to harness mana without experiencing mana poisoning, but in interacting with a Vongola ring, perhaps even capable of further filtering mana in greater speed in addition to the power of the dying will flames due to Gaia helping one who seeks to help it.
At least, such is my take on it- observe how the society, humanity interacts with the element in question in said universe. I'm sure Harry Potter trying to use magic in the Nasuverse for instance would very quickly find himself poisoned to a grisly fate, as the world doesn't care to make special exceptions to its rules to an outsider without something affecting the situation- heroic spirit summoning for his case, and for Shirou, a neutral to advantage when inheriting a Ring.

Nasuverse is just harsh on regular humans in its world, my dude.
2,748 « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »