for Heart and Soul

8/7/2020 c1 19tallsunshine12
I like this private little war between the two. LeBeau wields a mean soup spoon. I bet Newkirk misses his pub food. I know I would. I've had some once.
1/11/2020 c1 25L. E. Wigman
I really enjoyed this piece. Poetry is such a fascinating piece of lyrical art, one you create very well. I wasn't sure of the cadence at first, but then the scene played out and I could see it so clearly. Newkirk is such a rascal! He, I suspect, knows little about the English vs French cuisine, but knowing that it gets LeBeau going, he suddenly becomes an expert!

I love their dynamic(probably the best of them all) and you were able to translate that masterfully into poetic verse. Wonderful read.
1/10/2020 c1 32GrrraceUnderfire
The squabbling between these two is always entertaining to read about, but not every story about them explores what is really going on under the surface. You had me from the beginning with the description of LeBeau as "six feet tall." Yes, he sure manages to pack a lot of power into that small frame of his, and you do a great job of showing how Newkirk actually savors the conflict with LeBeau. It's also very satisfying when Newkirk pipes up that it's the food is "not half bad." It's like he knows exactly how far he can push LeBeau and he goes to the limit, but not past it.

The tempo (is that the right word?) of this poem was enjoyable to read though I'm terrible at explaining why! The repetition of Patriotic Frenchman and Irritating Cockney definitely kept it moving along!
12/28/2019 c1 29Abracadebra
Greetings from the 2019 Reviewathon. I'm reading stories of 1,000 words or less, and I can't BELIEVE I found a story of yours I hadn't reviewed! Hurrah for wonderful discoveries!

This is an absolute delight. We've seen Newkirk and LeBeau square off many times, both in episodes and in fanfiction, but seldom is the conflict resolved in such a satisfying way. I read this aloud, testing and really enjoying the rhythm. (I know, I'm such a nerd, but really, poetry benefits so much from being read out loud.) I felt the reading was best with an accelerated pace starting in the middle when LeBeau is charging that bunk. Leave it to Newkirk to take the bait by dropping to the floor! There was a nice staccato in the line in which he landed.

Some of the descriptions I found particularly apt were LeBeau's "face like thunder" - because he does that "gathering storm clouds" look better than anyone - and Newkirk's conviction that "time insulting recipes is time well spent." Yes, if one's going to have a razor wit, one must keep it sharpened.

"Patriotic Frenchman" and "irritating Cockney" also summed up the two individuals quite nicely. Brava!
11/17/2019 c1 18Ennui Enigma
Awww!
Great build up as soup marinated to perfect flavor!
A soup shared and friendship formed. Perfect.
11/16/2019 c1 Linda
I enjoyed this.
11/16/2019 c1 71snooky-9093
Brilliant!

My paternal grandmother was not the best cook. We had the proverbial worst of British cooking...but her Yorkshire pudding and desserts! Awesome. My dad was a fantastic cook. And right now, in a few weeks, I have a plan to make a roast with Yorkshire pudding.
11/16/2019 c1 DixieDale
Loved this one! You captured the two men beautifully, their odd, but oddly-satisfying, relationship.
11/16/2019 c1 32Wynsom
Characterizations spot on! National pride is one of the main ingredients in this soup argument. How lovely is the line “Time insulting recipes is time well spent.”

Wonderful insights!