for That's The Way It Is!

7/6/2020 c1 Hi
I enjoyed this. I love to read, but I have a particularly difficult time reading long ebook chapters. Not this time! Slight humor, and background. Ohh, yeah. That hits the spot!
4/21/2020 c1 49ArtisteFish
! Omigosh this was *sooooo goood*. The amount of detail was amazing, but even more so the depth of character not only in Jessie and James but in each of the Pokemon! Lovely story!
12/11/2019 c1 14Pidgeapodge
This was so cute! I love Jessie and James so much, they are the most fun characters in the anime! The flashback scene was a little confusing, but overall this was well-written and fun to read! Good job, author!
12/7/2019 c1 OneTruthCup
Normally I don’t get many cravings for Pokémon fanfic, but since it was you I knew I had to make an exception.

First off, I like the way you expressed the “growing pains” of having a new, unfamiliar Pokémon on the team. New habits, new idiosyncrasies, new relationship kinks to iron out.

I also greatly appreciate the way you emphasize the differences between Jessie and James’ training styles; Jessie is stern and methodical, but not without affection, and James is somewhat softer and less organized, giving out rewards based on FEELINGS more than what would get better results or more discipline. It’s been awhile since I last saw the show, but from what I remember that matches up with both of their characterizations. It’s cute in way, too, how you captured that specific rhythm of their dialogue. Some verbal jabs, some back and forth, but overall a lot of underlying platonic affection, which I think suits them. I’ve always interpreted them as very close friends rather than romantic partners (almost like siblings even?) so this felt very right to me, speaking as someone with that viewpoint. Additionally, I’m glad you mentioned both things like fake identities and actual criminal behavior/competence, as well as talk about “nabbing” a kid’s mouse Pokémon. It reminds a reader that Jessie and James are actually skillful in their own way, while also including the absurdity of their goals and behavior without being belittling.

Honestly, it’s very close between all the interactions and characters here(Jessie and James; James and Wobbuffet; Meowth and Wobbuffet; everyone as a group, etc) but I think my favorite would have to be Wobbuffet and Meowth. The latter because he’s just always been my favorite for a number of reasons (especially since that backstory episode which I remember fondly) and the former because you’ve really endeared him to me. Before I was mostly indifferent, and when I was younger (and less emphatic) there was always this question in the back of my head asking why they kept Wabbuffet around when he always seemed to be causing problems, but now I can see the appeal. And, it was actually quite amusing to see Moewth have his back and forth conversation with Wobbuffet. They work off of each other well.

Of course, I also have to mention all the world building and such. The love hotel details were informative, if not particularly dazzling, but the talk about Wobbuffet’s instincts and captive born behavior, in addition to other similar talk about Pokémon, were quite memorable. It was also an interesting image in my head, to think of Wobbuffet with bloody lips or Meowth and other Pokémon going hunting in specific ways. It gives the sense that these aren’t just a bunch of cutesy mascots, but animal-like creature apart of a fully functioning ecosystem. More cohesiveness, I suppose. A grounded element that I can enjoy.

Relatedly, Pokémon is one of those fan bases, I’ve noticed, where it’s not entirely unusual to see someone headcanon/speculate/write/draw about specific Pokémon traits/physiology. Which makes sense to me, because a franchise that focuses so heavily on animal creatures should at least, you know, not be afraid to discuss animal attributes. Just an observation.

Anyway, nice to see you enjoying yourself with a multitude of “fandoms” and such.
11/21/2019 c1 71Ri2
That was very cute.

But Hoothoot are Normal/Flying, not Dark.