for Like Father, Like Son

10/22 c22 11emeraldphan
This was a lovely, happy chapter after all the sadness of the war years. I'm glad Nadir has found someone as he often gets left out of these kinds of storylines! He's got a lot more teasing ahead of him though, thanks to Erik and Gustave, and of course, it raises many difficult questions for Erik considering their past. Madame Giry is coming back into his life, in a way, and it brings the LND world back into the story nicely.
10/20 c21 emeraldphan
It's a huge relief that Gustave is home safely but now he will have to live with the guilt of killing someone (and not through an act of war either). Both he and Erik have difficult pasts but I think Erik has a lot more experience in that kind of thing..
And the funeral service was so sad, with Lizzie unable to understand why she will never meet her big brother and Gustave haunted by his friend's death while he gets to come home. I hope they can come to terms with what's happened, even if they never get over it completely.
10/17 c20 emeraldphan
Poor William. And poor Lizzie, who will never know her big brother. It will be hard for Madeleine, watching Erik being re-united with Gustave. But I like how you've done your research for this story and included historical facts, with Erik having connections to the Romanovs.
10/17 c19 emeraldphan
I hadn't considered the irony of Charles and Madeleine's names before but it must be sad for Erik to watch a happy couple together, seeing as he lost Christine so tragically. It's good that he's developed a nice, normal friendship with them though, and now he will be a godfather to a child he's known since birth, which is lovely.
10/13 c16 emeraldphan
This is lovely. I really enjoyed the letters between various characters, which was a great way to tell the story and show character development. I also love this growing friendship between Erik and Lara as they wait for Gustave to come home. It's lovely that they now have different perspectives on him and Lara knows a little more about Erik's past (and it hasn't put her off him either...).
10/11 c32 12Starwatcher2018
Well, you got me in tears - I hope you're happy.

The description of Lara's labor was quite intense - lots of great information. Adding Nadir's POV and his recollections were a nice touch.
10/5 c13 11emeraldphan
This was such a sad, moving chapter with the little "family" getting split up, just as Gustave has shown that he takes after his mother in so many ways. Erik's reaction was just as emotional as you would expect, as he says goodbye to his only legacy from Christine. At least he has friends to support him but his routine and life will be very different from now on. He really is lucky to have Nadir to talk sense into him!
10/2 c12 emeraldphan
Poor Erik. This is going to be his first parting with Gustave since they started living together as father and son and it's going to be incredibly difficult for him. But well done for including the Great War and the many separations and difficulties it imposed on people. At least he now has friends who will look after him and Madeleine has a new baby to look forward to.
9/28 c11 emeraldphan
Good to see Erik entertaining guests and doing normal things with his new "family". I also like the idea of Gustave meeting his uncle for the first time and being wise enough to set his mind at rest about the past. I think it did Erik good to meet Philippe although it has also made him realise that there were so many things he didn't know about Christine's marriage.
9/24 c10 emeraldphan
Having Lara being related to Raoul was an interesting twist but I'm surprised she has never met Gustave up until now. After all, they were cousins, or more correctly, step cousins. But the idea of Erik socialising with members of that family, or indeed with anyone, is unusual and brings out new aspects of his personality. He really has a lot to explain, doesn't he? His past exploits sound OTT when you're hearing them all at once like that. But I'm glad Gustave knows a little more about him and can see his parents relationship in a more realistic way.
9/22 c7 emeraldphan
Good old Nadir, acting as Erik's advisor yet again. And Gustave is growing up so quickly.
Erik really has worn some "interesting" clothes over the years, hasn't he?
9/21 c6 emeraldphan
Not an easy conversation for Erik to have with the mother of his son's friend but it's best to be open about these things. It would have been hard to admit that you had a child with someone else's wife back then but I think she will be accepting of it.
And I love the conversations between Erik and Nadir! It's good for Erik to have someone to help out with Gustave and to offer advice now and again.
9/21 c5 emeraldphan
Erik is a difficult subject to write about for a family tree project but I'm glad he was able to share the little knowledge that he has with Gustave. The note was beautiful and I just wish his mother had been able to tell him that to his face or, at least, that he had read it earlier.
I also loved the idea of Erik rushing to his son's friend's house to collect him - it's normal things like this that will help him adapt to being a father.
9/19 c4 emeraldphan
It's great that both of them have friends in their lives now - Erik has Nadir again and Gustave is getting to know William and settling into his new life. He's certainly learning a lot about his father and it's so sweet that he fell asleep in the middle of it all and Erik had to carry him to bed, with a bit of encouragement and teasing from Nadir, of course. I love their unconventional friendship.
9/17 c3 emeraldphan
I have to admit, I'm way behind with this story but I promise I will catch up soon! I love how you've incorporated the Susan Kay elements, such as Erik bringing Gustave to the village he was born in, although unfortunately he will never be able to reconcile with Madeleine. I'm really enjoying their lovely relationship and the way Erik is willing to read a story he can't quite get his head around...
Moving them to London is an interesting idea, as it will allow them to explore a new country and culture together, away from the place where Christine died.
45 Page 1 .. Last Next »