for We All Have Dreams

12/22/2019 c1 20The Rhombus
This was quite a lovely little story that expanded upon the potential of the mirror, and which did a good job in showing both the positive and negative points of unfulfilled desires. For those which can still be realized such visions can be a welcome motivation to achieve that reality, but for the impossible desires they can bring the pain of what must remain unrealized.

I must also second what others have said with regard to your depiction of the gang in this story. Here, to a much greater degree than in your previous stories, the characters feel much more fleshed out and developed, each with their own motivations and (as expected with this plot point) desires. As such this made the story feel much more organic and it gave the narrative much more depth. Even though Petrie and his family was the main focus here, it is nice to see that you are continuing to branch out and expand your depictions of the other characters. I think that you have struck an excellent balance here between re-exploring familiar ground and adventuring into new territory.

Overall I quite liked this story. :) You have successfully explored an existing plot point (the mirror) in additional detail while also showcasing a deeper focus on the gang as a whole and their interactions. I look forward to seeing what else you come up with in the year to come!
12/20/2019 c1 5Captain Bones
It was a nice story. Ducky is my favorite character. I believe that Ducky and Petrie would make a cute couple. I wonder what Ducky's parents would say, if told them that she saw July in the frozen water.
12/20/2019 c1 26Keijo6
This fic had many good parts and the premise was quite nice. There certainly was more potential in this “mirror” than you utilized in your previous story and you did justice to all of the Gang members by showing us what they truly wanted inside. You certainly used your stronger points as an author here and it worked rather well after the last two stories. There were some minor issues with the pacing here but I’ll get to them later.

The start of this story certainly felt like a familiar one with the previously introduced characters and the overall lingering discontent inside the flyer family. You still excel in portraying all of that while also showing that things have improved slightly for Petrie during the year that has passed since Hurting of Desire. While that scene didn’t exactly advance the plot, it created a nice atmosphere and foundation for what was to come.

As for the main part of this fic, it was really well done. You really portrayed their deepest desires believably here and their reactions were very clearly and believably portrayed. Considering you are probably the strongest LBT author in terms of emotions, it was very clear that this kind of story would fit you rather perfectly and that was true. That scene could have been a bit less formulaic but it was very enjoyable nonetheless.

About the problems I mentioned, the pacing seemed a bit problematic at times. Most notably, the latter part of the story seemed to be a bit slow with the parents gathering on the spot as the following brief discussion felt… a bit dry. It wasn’t that long but it felt unnecessary. Also, as I pointed out on Discord, it’s just a fact that animals don't use fire and that section was a bit awkward.

But overall, nice job. This was a stronger fic than your previous two and while it still didn’t catch the majesty of your best stories, you are on the right track. I’m sure you’ll continue to improve in the months to come but for now, good job with this one.
12/19/2019 c1 39OwlsCantRead
When I first read that this was going to be a sequel to The Hurting of Desire, I wasn't sure what I expected. For some reason, I was expecting more angst. :P

In some sense, this story is the opposite of The Hurting of Desire despite its very similiar premise and even plot device. In the prior story, things felt more melodramatic and poignant as Petrie is lamenting about a future scenario he can never have, and while the memory of Judy and Chomper's own personal wish of a flattooth & sharptooth future do bring those moments back, it is balanced by the very plausible goals and dreams that the other members of the Gang have. The fact that Petrie can also secure himself a happy family now that he is together with Ducky, something he didn't have last Cold Time, also brings forth some closure on his wish especially with two of his siblings going "turncoat", so overall this fic feels more like a fluffy tale of friendship and healthy yearning, which I enjoy reading.

The banter between the gang in this story is top-notch, even more so than any story I've read from you in the past year, and I think it might have to do with the fact that they and the rest of their peers react in a very appropriate manner to the other's deepest hopes and dreams. I take no issues with pretty much all of these portrayals: they are all very realistic goals and aspirations, even if some of them aren't as hidden deep down in their hearts as they thought. Things like Cera laughing at her father's possible reaction to Littlefoot being leader or jeering at Chomper in jest are very "her", and not too overboard.

And maybe this is personal, but I feel like Ducky should have pressed Spike more for what he saw in the wall, maybe through asking him yes/no questions. While it is very in-character for the Gang to surmise it to be just him contentedly munching on food, "Through the Eyes of a Spiketail" does show that he has other desires and thoughts as well, even if they correlate to food and his mellow nature in the end. If anything, I personally see Tippy in his vision, since he had expressed some desire to be with his own kind even though he's happy in Ducky's family, so this is something I felt could have been fleshed out more, but it's no biggie, really… the rest of the gang got amazing characterization at their reactions to their own dreams.

I would say you succeeded in this as a gang-centric story, even if Petrie (and his family) was the focus at the start. I agree with Anagnos that the generally cohesive continuity you've built up has some great potential for unexplored stories that just wouldn't be possible without the Ducky/Petrie pairing or a few other aspects, so keep it up! I really enjoyed this story overall, very heartwarming.
12/19/2019 c1 1Vallalkozo
A return to the LBT version of the mirror of Erised. I still don't think it fits with the overall tone of the series, but it allowed a nice view into the entire gang's desires. Too bad you decided not to do Spike. I can imagine him secretly being the only one who truly sees just himself, since he is so easy going he is probably perfectly happy with things the way they are. Or he could see something nobody would expect, and being unable to tell his friend since he is mute.
12/19/2019 c1 8Anagnos
This was a rather nice short story that presented the idea of everyone has dreams of their own reasonably well, but not all of them can accomplish this feat as often our dreams are either far-fetched or outright difficult to achieve. But as the saying goes, do not let your dreams be dreams. Determination and patience is a key factor in this regard, which was another factor that I paid extra close attention to in this story. Still, there were some things that left me rather puzzled.

I really liked the nice little tie-in to the Hurting of Desire when Petrie’s thoughts revert back to his deceased father and the happy family they may have had if not for the tragic accident that took his father’s life. Moreover about his family life, it is comforting to see that Skybeak and Pearlwing are trying to behave as good siblings to Petrie, while the rest act as one might guess. This was a nice scene due to the fact that Petrie actually received protection from his other siblings, hinting that their relationship probably has gotten a lot better over time. Still, the main thing that bothered me in this scene was that I don’t quite see dinosaurs building a fire to keep themselves warm from the cold. The entire idea sounds really far-fetched and frankly speaking hard to believe.

Now I must say that the scene where the entire gang see what each most desperately desires was very well written and it left me feeling that this is exactly how such a scenario would play out. All of their dreams are rather plausible and your ability to flesh out the little details about their inner characterization was on point. Now on the contrary to this mostly lighthearted development, the talk about Judy quickly managed to turn the conversation into a more sorrowful one, and the transition to that was done sufficiently. This truly was a story about the gang learning more about themselves, and how you handled that in this manner definitely was one of the main points in this story.

Like I mentioned before, I found this story rather interesting and the premise very absorbing and it was likewise delightful to see that Petrie and Ducky weren’t the only ones in the spotlight again. I am fully aware what kind of stories you like to do, but I’d encourage you to explore the more unknown portions of this universe as there is a lot of potential for you to utilize. A rather solid story from you, Diddy and I will be looking forward to your future stories once you are fully recovered from the flu. Get well soon!
12/18/2019 c1 Guest
I love this story and I can't wait to read some of your new stories when they're released sooner.

Desktop Mode . Twitter . Help . Sign Up . Cookies . Privacy . Terms of Service