for Survival Instincts

1/1 c1 29Abracadebra
Goodness, how did I miss reviewing two of your poems in a row? This beautifully portrays the little dance that goes on among the men as they stuff down their fear and do what they must. That little scene in "Information Please" is quite memorable as one of the rare times when Newkirk breaks character and instead of his usual snark and sarcasm, he acknowledges that they have to do some really vile things. As a moment, it really summarizes the constant conflict between taking risks and staying safe, being brave and taking wild chances, behaving honorably and doing the horrible things that war demands. Very nicely look at the turmoil and inner conflict.
12/27/2020 c1 21Tuttle4077
This kind of reminds me of something that Judy Garland once said: Lord, if I couldn't laugh at myself I don't think I'd be alive.

The boys are in an impossible situation and are almost always running at 110% percent. Of course they would have a whole book of tricks ready to ease the tension. Otherwise they'd crack under all the pressure. Whatever they have to do to keep the demons at bay.
12/5/2020 c1 18tallsunshine12
I'll have to get out my HH DVDs and look for this one. BTW, that last stanza was Shakespearean! Unspeakable horrors, unthinkable dangers is masterful in both rhyme and rhythm. Speak and think are slant rhymes. Each half of the phrase has six syllables for a singsong cadence. Truly appreciate it!
8/14/2020 c1 32GrrraceUnderfire
Your observations fascinate me. I know this episode pretty well, and it's the one where Newkirk says very seriously, "We really are a nasty lot, aren't we?" and Hogan replies something like "I'm glad you approve, Newkirk." I guess only one guy can be reflective at a time! I love how you took that exchange and then found myriad examples of how humor (and anger, and touch...) are used to defuse one situation after another. Poetry is an excellent format for capturing small moments that add up to a bigger picture, which is beautifully spelled out in the last two paragraphs.
3/11/2020 c1 71snooky-9093
As usual, your work shows so much insight. This is an emotional piece that really showcases Newkirks personality and his defense mechanisms.
3/4/2020 c1 32Wynsom
An insightful examination of how individuals react and find release while enduring "unspeakable horrors, unthinkable dangers."
2/28/2020 c1 18Ennui Enigma
Fast paced... feels like there are at least two-layers to the meaning in these lines. Reminds me of the little things that make a significant difference in our lives. Great read. Thank you for sharing!
2/27/2020 c1 DixieDale
I'm never sure which of your poems is my favorite, but this one especially touched me. Great job!