for No Longer Unseen

1/4 c3 FloatingPizza
Coming to you, too lazy to log in, from the 2020 Winter Review-a-Thon!

I was intrigued by the mention of “The Swing Shift”, always a rather unusual episode to me, in your description, and clicked through straight to this chapter. You tell the story of these four anonymous men in an artful way, with each stanza imparting its own mood. I found the second in particular to be quite impressive - the short, staggered, interrupted lines convey the shock of the men being captured very effectively. The concrete details about the place of their imprisonment and description of their fearful apprehension is excellent; I can’t help but sympathize with these fellows, and hope that fate (and the German Underground) was kind to them and the families they left behind.
8/6/2020 c3 52Signy1
This missing bit from 'Swing Shift' is so good it ought to have been in the program in the first place. These four guys, the proverbial innocent bystanders, didn't deserve what happened to them- although I wonder if it ever occurred to them afterwards that being kidnapped saved them from being on the spot when the factory blew to kingdom come. Hogan's crew saved their lives. Twice, in the case of the guy who would have been drafted that evening.

The taut rhyme scheme and increasing tension as they contemplate what's going to happen next... and the uncertainty of the last lines... ratchet up the suspense from start to finish. Great job.
6/21/2020 c3 19tallsunshine12
This is really thoughtful and suspenseful. Thanks!
6/21/2020 c1 tallsunshine12
These are wonderful poems. I can remember some of the scenes! Thanks!
3/14/2020 c3 18Ennui Enigma
Quite a scary kidnapping... very much interrupted. Gosh... the short stanzas added to the urgency of the situation. Four drinks interrupted... what do the Fates have in store?
Great writing! A joy to read.
3/14/2020 c3 71snooky-9093
This is wonderful, the collateral damage caused by our heroes and their underground colleagues is never really addressed. In a way, I wonder if this scheme may have eventually saved the lives of these four men.
3/14/2020 c3 DixieDale
I am greatly impressed that you see and express things through a different lens than the producers of the episodes laid out for us - to let us see, ponder the impact on those caught up, unwilling, unknowing, in the action. You also make us wonder, uneasily, about the eventual fate of those pawns - whether they too are just necessary collateral damage to Hogan and the team, forgotten in the aftermath, or whether some effort was made to counter the damage before it was too late. Kudos!
3/11/2020 c2 snooky-9093
Brilliant! You'd think many of these men would be resentful of Hogan and his schemes; considering how many times they were locked up. But, they'd follow him to the ends of the earth. Great tag to this episode.
3/11/2020 c1 snooky-9093
Oh my word. I could sense what was coming. Poor Kinch. yes, I would have done the same. No longer bored, LOL.
3/9/2020 c2 52Signy1
This is beautifully done, and some of the word pictures you paint are a delight. For instance, the 'lecture on behavior, droning on and on forever' made me laugh aloud... I mean, who *hasn't* sat through a few of those? And finishing up with an answer to the 'hey, where did Carter go?' loose end was a great way to cap it off.
3/8/2020 c2 18Ennui Enigma
Well thought out and executed... both on the part of Newkirk and writer!
The 'counting tiles' bits in the poem glued the piece together and provided a nice cohesive meaning.
Very much enjoyed reading!
3/7/2020 c2 32Wynsom
I like your way of realistically addressing the repercussions of the HH's usual shenanigans which seemed to have no consequences in very next episode.
3/1/2020 c1 29Abracadebra
Is it wrong that I am laughing uproariously at this? I could absolutely see what was coming, having been part of the episode discussion last week. This is a brilliant exposition of how boredom overtook poor Kinch and made him decide to POLISH FURNITURE of all the ridiculous he could possibly do in the tunnel. I really, truly lost it when I reached the word "scuffs" and read about the rings left by coffee mug. This is just understated, brilliant, and so very funny.
3/1/2020 c1 37medcat
That was an unexpected twist, about the polish ;)
3/1/2020 c1 18Ennui Enigma
Oh my!
What a shock.
The ending is certainly correct... "no longer bored".
I loved the build up though... the perfect picture of sitting bored at the desk and then... something unexpected. Perfect.
17 Page 1 2 Next »