for Remembrance

5/25 c2 131rebecca-in-blue
Your decision to make the Pontipee family Irish is a little surprising to me. They had such a western/frontier feeling in the movie that I just never thought of them as the children of immigrants. Of course, we never found out their family backstory in the movie, so I like that you're fleshing it out here, even if it does seem a little unbelievable at times. Immigrating from Ireland, traversing the entire continental US (from Philadelphia to Oregon), and having seven children is just a lot for this couple to do before dying young. I'm also scratching my head trying to figure out which war their father served in. Irish immigrants were drafted in the way you described, but I can't think of any American conflict that fits this movie's timeline.

There were several little typos throughout this chapter; a few of the ones I caught: and when I return, making him {stagger}, causing {Dorcas} to wiggle closer. Also, if the brothers call their father da here, shouldn't they also refer to their mother as mam?
5/20 c7 13Countrylover99
This was the sweetest way to come into full circle with this story! Great job! Gideon and Alice are just the loveliest, cutest couple. The way they admitted their love for each other and spoke with an ease, really fit to their original characters. Out of all brothers and their brides, they seemed to have a very understanding relationship. Very innocent and sweet. This was an adorable story!
I loved the ending with Benjamin making a toast and Dorcas supporting him.
5/19 c6 Countrylover99
Aww! You are so good at writing these characters! Kudos to you! I loved this one just as much as the others. Sarah's backstory and Frank's secret about being handy with a needle really made me smile. Opposites really attract. I always love the comparisons you do of brothers, their brides and the suitors. It's on point and so accurate. That SLAP was unexpected but awesome! Sarah may be shy and sensitive, but good for her for standing up for her man. And lastly, that part with Sarah and Dorcas made me giggle. You just gotta love sassy Dorcas! Great work as always. Keep it up ;)
5/18 c5 Countrylover99
Wonderful work as always! I really liked this one and my heart ached for poor Ephraim. It's so sad what he went through, but I'm glad Liza was there to assure him that he would never lose her. It was a really sweet update. Warmed my heart.
Side note, comparing Ephraim to a stag and George to a goat actually made me laugh, because it's so darn accurate. Keep up the good work!
5/16 c4 Countrylover99
Yay, another update! You are really good at giving all the characters their individual personalities and really showcasing them as couples. I feel like in the movie we never really got a real sense of who they were as individuals. And here, we are learning so much about their past. Perfect edition! I loved Martha and Daniel's exchange. You continue to expand them as characters and make the reader truly care and root for them. I especially loved how Daniel makes Martha laugh and admires natural things about her, where she can be comfortable around a sweet, simple guy like him. Can't wait for Ephraim and Liza's part. Poor Eph, wonder why he has it the toughest. They are my favorite couple so I am super excited for the next one!
5/15 c3 Countrylover99
Awww. This was so romantic!
I love how you're capturing each couple with a different twist and flair to them. I love the comparison you drew from the romance novels and Caleb's dream to become a doctor. It really fits the couple so well. I can't wait to see what you'll do with the rest of them. Keep up the great work!
5/14 c1 131rebecca-in-blue
This is an interesting one-shot of the boys remembering their mother. I've always thought that long winter had a lot of room for fanfic plots, and this is a good way to bring out their more thoughtful sides. I loved Milly deciding to join in their remembrance ceremony, and her words to their mother were very moving. So stubborn of Adam not to show up for it, though, and I'm curious to see how if his absence will be addressed later. Although I'm not sure that I could see any of the brothers (especially Gideon) acting this rude just because to their mother's deathiversary. I've lived through one of my parent's deathiversaries for many years, and it just doesn't feel realistic to me.
5/8 c2 13Countrylover99
This was a really nice chapter. Loved the parallels between Dorcas and Benjamin and their resemblance to spirited horses. I think you captured their personalities really well. I enjoyed learning about their backstories as well. Great expansion! Overall, it was a lovely read and a beautiful update. Something I can definitely see happening between Ben and Dorcas. Wonderful work!
4/9 c1 Kentme00
Such a sweet story
4/8 c1 Countrylover99
This was so different and heartwarming. What a bittersweet story.
Are you planning to add more chapters or is it one-shot? I would love to read more! Great job!

Desktop Mode . Twitter . Help . Sign Up . Cookies . Privacy . Terms of Service