for A Hero's Welcome: The 54th Hunger Games

4/18/2020 c1 5Axe Smelling God
I loved that we actually got to see a family man and not someone who’s is bloodthirsty or cold, but someone who is doing a job that he was entrapped in.
4/17/2020 c1 22District11-Olive
Wow, a new take on the same Head Gamemaker prologue- love it! A Gamemaker who doesn't want to do his job is an interesting idea. This was a really lighthearted start to a prologue with some seriously dark undertones which I loved. I wonder if they're really going to just let him go after he's 'done' or if he will be 'done' in more ways than one. His family is cute so I hope not, and his wife is holding it together pretty well considering. I usually review before I submit so I literally almost forgot to review but fear not I am here to cater to your review whoring ways :)
4/17/2020 c1 12jakey121
I loved the different style of POV here - yes it's the Head Gamemaker but he's not cunning or cutthroat or trying to step over people to get what he wants. He's a family man and this whole charade is really affecting his relationships with those closest to him.
Loved the way you wrote his kids btw - nailed that mixture of childish lie and immaturity. Plus isn't it quite telling of the way the Capitol works that he said that not pretending to be tributes anymore was growing up, and playing medieval fairytales wasn't. It's a sad reality of their world and he's feeding into that.
Yeah great prologue!
4/17/2020 c1 2Remus98
It's nice to see a Gamemaker who doesn't actually enjoy their job. I feel like we often get a very shallow view of Capitolites, and that all of them are in favor of the Games, so I liked this dynamic. It was interesting. And I agree with Ortega - his children pretending to be tributes for fun is disturbing. Super mega disturbing. Medieval fairytales, though often dark in their own right, is at least one step towards betterment. Perhaps just being unicorns without a creepy undertone will be enough next time?

Anyway, I'm excited to see how this new SYOT of yours will turn out. It'll be fun getting into submitting tributes again (although this time I promise not to name them after a well-known GoT villain, seeing as everyone and their mother seemed to hate that last time, haha!). Can't wait for more :))
4/17/2020 c1 Wilderness of Tigers
I loved this prologue! Right from the start I got the feeling that Ortega was unhappy about the Games, when he hugged his daughters a little tighter than usual. I wasn't expecting the fact that his sister had been kidnapped! So they've got her and are forcing him to be head gamemaker?! That's terrible! I feel really bad for him!
The interaction between him and Genevieve and Levaya was just the cutest! I also really liked the difference between them and all the kids in the districts. They have unicorns and glitter etc. and feel like they get a real childhood.
I really hope we get to read more about Ortega and his family!
4/17/2020 c1 7Cashmere67
daddy

fun take on a gamemaker! it's nice to see the family side of a gamemaker and how they really aren't into their job and that they're counting the days until it's over. i have a feeling ... things aren't looking food for him. but here's to hoping.

love that... welcome back kid
4/17/2020 c1 A M4D TE4-P4RTY
I love seeing head gamemakers in prologues - it's fascinating to meet the person who's going to be putting all the tributes through hell and who's come up with the whole arena! Ortega's no exception! I love him and I love the unwillingness with which he's involved in them Games. His relationship with his family was so touching and he seems so... normal. I really felt for him, because I feel like he's going through hell too, organising the Games. He is clearly being forced into it against him will and having to constantly lie seems to be putting such a strain on him and his family. Great insight into Capitol culture/power dynamics.
4/16/2020 c1 2sock-feet-and-stirring-sand
WOOOOOOOOO

i've never been involved in one of your stories before/can't even remember submitting so i'm super stoked for this! if this prologue's any indication this one will be a hell of a ride. i'm really excited!

just wanted to point out that the way you wrote these kids and their family dynamic was so real- the way they talked and thought was really accurate (from my experience of being a 7 3/4 year old girl at least). writing kids is hard. writing functional parents? arguably harder. you've made me actually care about a head gamemaker and I dont think i've ever actually cared about a head gamemaker, so... cheers. if this one dies imma riot.

see you when I submit! which is hopefully soon!
4/16/2020 c1 10nevergone4ever
kevin im screaming u really love your L names

where! are my girls! me scrounging around my desk drawer looking for my last two menthol juul pods

this is fucking wadorable djsfkdsfdsk the fucking gamemaker having aN ABSOLUTE BALL with his family such a different dynamic from what we're used to!

bobobobobo ive not read your writing in idk 8 years but it has improved i know it has yet you insert these little phrases.. chained to the games.. multiplied like bacteria.. she was already seven and three quarters.. that make me SMILE. its refreshing. its so you. im ready. to see this in a full syot.

ily king. my king. oh kevy my kevy.
4/16/2020 c1 25Firedawn'd
Ortega seems like quite the nice Gamemaker, haha, especially with his children - which is quite a refreshing change from all of the other Gamemakers I've read about recently. I feel so bad for him, gosh, especially with that bit about his children being his 'chains'... just wow. I'm excited to see where this will go, and I'll definitely be submitting a tribute. Thanks for writing! :)
4/16/2020 c1 14Chaos In Her Wake
"Where! are my girls!" that's what i say every time i open the groupchat lmao

oh my god this started out so cute and got so SCARY like... omg i feel for them so deeply?

That's one of my favorite things about your writing! The emotions always read so clearly and the characters hook me in so well that I'm empathetic to their situations. It's powerful. You're so talented at creating situations that get readers invested not only in the plot but also in the well being of the characters.

YAY welcome to the comeback crew!
Sending in my trib momentarily! Happy writing!
4/16/2020 c1 23symphorophilia
i literally just logged in to claim that review... why didnt i type my name in Dx sigh. happy hg
4/16/2020 c1 Guest
too lazy to log in atm but I WILL BE FIRST

this prologue! so unique. i live the parent/child interactions between ortega and his kids it's heartwarming but also pretty unique as we get to see a side of the capitol we aren't typically privy to, and your ability to really bring that humanity and mundane quality to a gamemaker shows just how good you are at flipping tropes on their head when its needed. awesome way to return and i'm like? so excited lol i can feel it in my bonesss

will be sending a trib your way soon! take care bruv :3