for Black Coffee

8/8 c11 9Anna W
DAMN. This was everything. I love love love the background with lizzie and Spot as the unsung hero. I love that that makes him uncomfortable, that he's too damaged to accept it. I love Starkey...he's a great character...way to quickly, subtley but skillfully flesh him out. You are so very gifted at creating real characters with real feelings and real lives. And your dialogue. Killer. Your Spot Conlon is PERFECTION. Lou is perfection-love the way that she takes charge with the girls. She's damned and determined to get this story, and maybe she's made some unlikely friends along the way. Way to make her quietly powerful and give her subtle spunk. I love it. and that END. ALL THE FREAKING FEELS. I got goosebumps, butterflies, everything. YES YES YES. Spot Conlon, you beautiful, tragic hero, maybe you and Lou will find a way to turn the tides together. AH you are amazing. Thank you for sharing this story with all of us!
7/31 c10 autumnsfire001
Hey there! I just want to say that I really love this story, and everytime you post, I stop what I am doing to read through the chapter. I am a sucker for Spot fanfics, grittier "Newsies as adults" fics, and realistic fics which draw on historical information. Your story checks all of the boxes! I love the way you write Spot and describe his transition from a cocky street kid to a jaded dockworker. I love Lou's character and the brand of toughness and tenderness that you give her, and I'm super interested in watching their relationship evolve against the backdrop of the injustices that they are both battling.

Just want to say thank you for writing this story, and I hope to see more! : )
7/13 c10 3thatsmycigar
This is very good! I love your style! Just wondering, it seems like there aren't very many people reading Newsies fics anymore, and do you think you could give me feedback on mine? I'm trying to improve my writing, but it's hard when nobody tells you what you are doing wrong.
7/9 c10 Guest
Honestly, an amazing story! The description was so detailed that you feel like you're in the story. Very well written and I can't wait to read more!
6/29 c10 9Anna W
YYES YES YES YES YES! This is so good. So powerful. I see every scene so clearly, I see THEM so clearly. And the slow burn is ON POINT. They've got great chemistry.. I love how he helps her down the stairs, he's so patient and sweet, but not too sweet...he is Spot Conlon after all ;-) . And that cheeky line about "don't fall in love" ugh so good. Your story is so amazing, I love every second I spend in the world you have created and when I'm done reading, I'm so sad it's over because I want to stay there for longer. Great job, great chapter! Can't wait for the next one!
6/18 c9 Anna W
I audibly squealed with excitement when I got the email that you had updated. and this update was EVERYTHING. I wanted to stop everything and read it right away. HOLY SHIT it did not disappoint. Spot and Lous interactions are so real, so tangible! I feel like I can see it so clearly there in the room with them. And the subtle feelings you describe spot feeling are incredibly well paced and poignant. you make me CARE about them. I want to know his backstory. and hers. and that hug... was perfect. THIS IS SUCH A GOOD STORY. I'm so in love with every aspect of it. Bravo
6/15 c8 Anna W
GAH! Geez you put lou through the ringer in this one. One anxiety riddled hit after the next.

AND I LOVED EVERY SECOND OF IT!

i'm interested to see what Spot knows, how he and Lou will get along. I'm so glad he took the deal! And from the historical things I know about Hearst, Archie is right...he was a rat! A regular "robber baren" rat. I hope lou sticks it to him somehow with spot's help! AH i'm so excited about this story. And Mrs. Glover is a great character, so is Archie. All of your characters are well developed and I can see them so very clearly. What a GREAT STORY! Have I mentioned that? I don't know if I've said it lololol. I can't wait for the next update. This is so fantastic!
6/14 c7 LostGirlSoul
I love this story already! It's so hard to find fan fiction with the main character being a black woman (I'm black). Spot was among my first film crushes when I first saw the movie! Can't wait for the next update!
6/7 c7 Anna W
This. Is. A. Masterpiece. I don't say this often about things, but you have a strong handle on your voice and your craft. I couldn't put it down. I desperately want to know what's next. I NEED to know. I could see the scene so clearly, but more importantly I could FEEL the scene so clearly. This is a publishable novel. You have something quite extraordinary here.
6/2 c6 Anna W
This was fantastic. So well done. And just so you know, in my opinion, you posting this story is not trivial. First of all, your story and writing in general are basically publishable quality. Second, your story is one of the few on here that has a person of color as the main character. representation matters, even on places like ffnet and it is so refreshing and exciting to have a story like this feature a character like Lou. Black lives matter, and you posting a story like this on here for a fandom that prides itself on fighting injustice is a powerful, necessary statement. Thank you for your writing and stay safe.
5/24 c5 Anna W
GAHHHHHHHHHH. ok dramatic scream over. the tension was so thick! I love the way you describe Spot's pain... its visceral I almost could feel it myself. and I cant wait to hear more about spot, what's happened to him since his newsie days, what kind of man he is. lou is a quietly powerful protagonist. and your dialogue... have I mentioned how much I love it? lol please tell me you are going to update soon. I'm completely involved and intrigued now. I MUST read more
5/24 c4 Anna W
WOW. I love this story. I'm hooked. I have to know what happens and what this is leading to! why doesn't spot want to go to the hospital? also LOVE LOVE LOVE your dialogue. it's so real and intense. also I see you updated today...ah yay! I'll move on to the next chapter now.
5/23 c3 Anna W
GOOD GOD. super intense and so well written. I love your characterization of Spot. and you have a firm command of the way docks are tun and the geography of New York. this is excellent. I love the way you are telling this story.
5/23 c2 Anna W
Amazing. I love the way your writing flows. You bring in characters and show us who they are as opposed to telling us. That's a really important and impressive skill. I like Lou alot. I cant wait to hear more about her and see how she and Spot interact. This is so well written and you have such a clearly developed voice as an author. I love it!
5/22 c1 Anna W
this is SO GOOD. I love the way you write, I love that I can feel what Spot is feeling, the anxiety, the anger, the fear. It's so well crafted. I'm very excited I found this story. I've been looking for something good to read and I cant wait to dig into the rest. Bravo!
19 Page 1 2 Next »