for Black Coffee

10/1/2020 c14 10Anna W
My God you've done it again. This is such a fabulous addition to your moving, amazing story. I love the attitude we're getting from Spot here. He's PISSED that Starkey is there, and I think it's only PARTIALLY having to do with that fact that Starkey changed his tune so suddenly. A little jealous, are we Conlon? I love the flashback to Lou's mother and the poignant, moving conversation with Pauline. Our girl Lizzie has Lou's back thank God. And that SPARK between Lou and Spot when he asked her "why'd you wait." It was PALPABLE. I could FEEL it. Lou's not giving up on Spot. You've captured his character so well in this. And the pull Lou has to him is so real and intense. I can feel it too. It's so nice to see that they are on the same page (from last chapter to this one) but neither of them know's it and they are both bad at saying it out loud. UGH. They need to TALK. This was so so well written, the characters were amazingly depicted. Also, I don't trust STarkey...should I? I feel like he's not dependable and might stab Spot in the back. We'll see I guess. Great chapter. Already can't wait for the next one. :-)
9/4/2020 c13 Anna W
YESS! Damn you're good. You are so so so so good. You have a gift. I'm serious. The way you weave the words in this story all the while creating these magnificent characters and plots-it's truly something special. I love this slow burn between Lou and Spot, the push and pull, the WANT for vulnerability but the fierce hold over control. It's like an intense dance, and I love every second of it. And I also love that you brought us some RAcetrack Higgins into this. We get to see the old Spot for a moment, not the haunted shell of a man the tombs seemed to turn him into. It's almost like being with Lou has him pulled to life again-pulled to feeling things and wanting things again. It's beautiful. And dammit to hell when Starkey is in the apartment. I had a feeling Spot had just got up the gumption to go and talk to Lou about what he was feeling...maybe even apologize...maybe tell the truth? I think we all know that kiss meant more than just him being "mr. spot conlon.. god's gift to women". Good on Lou for giving back as good as she gets from him. I love this story so much. As many words as I've used to say that, it still doesn't seem like enough. Thank you. I can't wait to see where it leads to next. :-)
8/20/2020 c12 Anna W
YES YES YES YES! You know how to build suspense my friend. And dammit, if everytime those two got interrupted I didn't groan aloud in frustration. But that's what makes this story so damn good. your pacing is excellent. your character development is amazing. I LOVE your characters. I hurt for them, I root for them. I could FEEL the panic when Spot said "i'm not goin back". My poor sweet Spot. And Lou leading the charge to find out who was screaming. I love her, I love her courage and her push to do the right thing. I'd love to hear more of her background but I'm sure you've got it in the works. Also, holy shit, Spot has the coppers gun? That ain't good. When I realized that at the end I was like "oo shit". I hope they can lay low without any further interruption, and dammit lou and spot need to have their talk! This was such a magnificently crafted chapter. I can't get enough of this story. the minute that I finish reading a chapter I immediately want to read what's next, and then end up going back and reading older chapters. Thank you for this story.
8/8/2020 c11 Anna W
DAMN. This was everything. I love love love the background with lizzie and Spot as the unsung hero. I love that that makes him uncomfortable, that he's too damaged to accept it. I love Starkey...he's a great character...way to quickly, subtley but skillfully flesh him out. You are so very gifted at creating real characters with real feelings and real lives. And your dialogue. Killer. Your Spot Conlon is PERFECTION. Lou is perfection-love the way that she takes charge with the girls. She's damned and determined to get this story, and maybe she's made some unlikely friends along the way. Way to make her quietly powerful and give her subtle spunk. I love it. and that END. ALL THE FREAKING FEELS. I got goosebumps, butterflies, everything. YES YES YES. Spot Conlon, you beautiful, tragic hero, maybe you and Lou will find a way to turn the tides together. AH you are amazing. Thank you for sharing this story with all of us!
7/31/2020 c10 autumnsfire001
Hey there! I just want to say that I really love this story, and everytime you post, I stop what I am doing to read through the chapter. I am a sucker for Spot fanfics, grittier "Newsies as adults" fics, and realistic fics which draw on historical information. Your story checks all of the boxes! I love the way you write Spot and describe his transition from a cocky street kid to a jaded dockworker. I love Lou's character and the brand of toughness and tenderness that you give her, and I'm super interested in watching their relationship evolve against the backdrop of the injustices that they are both battling.

Just want to say thank you for writing this story, and I hope to see more! : )
7/13/2020 c10 4thatsmycigar
This is very good! I love your style! Just wondering, it seems like there aren't very many people reading Newsies fics anymore, and do you think you could give me feedback on mine? I'm trying to improve my writing, but it's hard when nobody tells you what you are doing wrong.
7/9/2020 c10 Guest
Honestly, an amazing story! The description was so detailed that you feel like you're in the story. Very well written and I can't wait to read more!
6/29/2020 c10 10Anna W
YYES YES YES YES YES! This is so good. So powerful. I see every scene so clearly, I see THEM so clearly. And the slow burn is ON POINT. They've got great chemistry.. I love how he helps her down the stairs, he's so patient and sweet, but not too sweet...he is Spot Conlon after all ;-) . And that cheeky line about "don't fall in love" ugh so good. Your story is so amazing, I love every second I spend in the world you have created and when I'm done reading, I'm so sad it's over because I want to stay there for longer. Great job, great chapter! Can't wait for the next one!
6/18/2020 c9 Anna W
I audibly squealed with excitement when I got the email that you had updated. and this update was EVERYTHING. I wanted to stop everything and read it right away. HOLY SHIT it did not disappoint. Spot and Lous interactions are so real, so tangible! I feel like I can see it so clearly there in the room with them. And the subtle feelings you describe spot feeling are incredibly well paced and poignant. you make me CARE about them. I want to know his backstory. and hers. and that hug... was perfect. THIS IS SUCH A GOOD STORY. I'm so in love with every aspect of it. Bravo
6/15/2020 c8 Anna W
GAH! Geez you put lou through the ringer in this one. One anxiety riddled hit after the next.

AND I LOVED EVERY SECOND OF IT!

i'm interested to see what Spot knows, how he and Lou will get along. I'm so glad he took the deal! And from the historical things I know about Hearst, Archie is right...he was a rat! A regular "robber baren" rat. I hope lou sticks it to him somehow with spot's help! AH i'm so excited about this story. And Mrs. Glover is a great character, so is Archie. All of your characters are well developed and I can see them so very clearly. What a GREAT STORY! Have I mentioned that? I don't know if I've said it lololol. I can't wait for the next update. This is so fantastic!
6/14/2020 c7 LostGirlSoul
I love this story already! It's so hard to find fan fiction with the main character being a black woman (I'm black). Spot was among my first film crushes when I first saw the movie! Can't wait for the next update!
6/7/2020 c7 Anna W
This. Is. A. Masterpiece. I don't say this often about things, but you have a strong handle on your voice and your craft. I couldn't put it down. I desperately want to know what's next. I NEED to know. I could see the scene so clearly, but more importantly I could FEEL the scene so clearly. This is a publishable novel. You have something quite extraordinary here.
6/2/2020 c6 Anna W
This was fantastic. So well done. And just so you know, in my opinion, you posting this story is not trivial. First of all, your story and writing in general are basically publishable quality. Second, your story is one of the few on here that has a person of color as the main character. representation matters, even on places like ffnet and it is so refreshing and exciting to have a story like this feature a character like Lou. Black lives matter, and you posting a story like this on here for a fandom that prides itself on fighting injustice is a powerful, necessary statement. Thank you for your writing and stay safe.
5/24/2020 c5 Anna W
GAHHHHHHHHHH. ok dramatic scream over. the tension was so thick! I love the way you describe Spot's pain... its visceral I almost could feel it myself. and I cant wait to hear more about spot, what's happened to him since his newsie days, what kind of man he is. lou is a quietly powerful protagonist. and your dialogue... have I mentioned how much I love it? lol please tell me you are going to update soon. I'm completely involved and intrigued now. I MUST read more
5/24/2020 c4 Anna W
WOW. I love this story. I'm hooked. I have to know what happens and what this is leading to! why doesn't spot want to go to the hospital? also LOVE LOVE LOVE your dialogue. it's so real and intense. also I see you updated today...ah yay! I'll move on to the next chapter now.
22 Page 1 2 Next »