for Anne's Joy

1/13 c1 Guest
I loved TTFTG and this little ditty was just as wonderful. Please keep writing!
8/12/2021 c1 VirReturnsFromMinbar
Very well written.
5/30/2021 c1 38oz diva
Hello, well I don't know what I was doing in June 2020 (and it wasn't much since I was locked down) but somehow I missed this little treasure. I don't know if you've seen Anne With an E but it was very reminiscent of Marilla dressing down Mrs Andrews - another scene of great beauty.

It's a great scene which says so much about Joy's background without labouring the point. I did like how Anne was with Gilbert too. No need for him to back Joy up, her mother's done a stand up job on it and I hope Mr (un)Pleasant will think of women in a different light henceforth. (I'm a fan of a misnomer at any time. In a book I'm slowly writing there's a Mrs Love -who you know doesn't.)

I think we all owe a debt of gratitude to the gorgeous DrinkThemIn, she is always so supportive and if she encouraged you to write this then all the better and I'll thank her myself for it.
5/29/2021 c1 139rebecca-in-blue
What a delightful story. Although I haven't read your prequel to it, I had no problem enjoying this. Your characterization of Anne is so spot-on, especially in how she stands up to "the wrongly named Mr. Pleasant," and I love the idea of giving her one child through adoption. Wonderful work.
5/23/2021 c1 13previouslyjade
I love this so much. You write with such a light touch. Your adult Anne is perfect. In fact, they're all perfect.
2/28/2021 c1 EvolutionOfMagic
3 3 3
10/13/2020 c1 12MrsVonTrapp
Well, you had me at your lovely, punning title. Well, actually, you had me at TTITG update to begin with, but let's not quibble. And I am so sorry I am late to this little party, given that it is delightful to have you revisiting this wonderful story.

This is really gorgeous, and again we are reminded of your wonderful turn of phrase and perfect understanding of character. Although the opening immediately draws comparisons to pigtails and slates - as Gilbert is quick to note later - what really drew me was the same feeling as Little Women's Amy and her limes, particularly the 1994 version which had Jo hopping mad with indignation whilst Marmee dictates a letter echoing Anne's marvelous treatment of the absolutely ill-named Mr Pleasant. Infact, I was hoping Anne somehow had herself elected to the School Board with authority to dismiss him on the spot, but alas.

Her dressing down of him was absolutely fabulous, from the "gimlet glare" she gave him to the absolutely inspired "smile that looked more like a reaction to a gastric upset". That last one made me choke on my laughter, and I'm not even kidding. Just brilliant :)

I love your little touches to canon (that "roguish" twinkle, and Anne "sailing" into the schoolyard a la Miss Cornelia) and even both Sullivan and your own story ("no daily quote on the blackboard now, she noticed") which add such depth. And I did smile at Gilbert's nonplussed reaction ("In other words, wait five years" was great fun) although he could have taken poor Joy's side a little more!

But above all it is the lovely and loving relationship between Anne and Joy here that is so rewarding, and Anne's very ready reminder that Joy is absolutely her daughter, blood or no blood. Her brief glimpse into the situation of orphans for the benefit of Mr Most Unpleasant was heartwrenching in its accuracy and also its brevity. And you had Anne do more in one afternoon for Joy than sadly LMM had canon Anne ever do for Mary Vance, and I love it when things come full circle for characters.

Thank you for this! Bed for you and the time to mull over story ideas more often, Anne O, and no mistake x
7/10/2020 c1 Denie1943
I'm delighted to see that you have returned to this story. Now, I must share my concern that Gil isn't on the war path over Mr. Pleasant's canning of Joy without regard for the whole story. The real Gil is relatively calm, but his love of family supersedes that calm demeanor. I isn't too late for the good Doctor to pay his own visit to school to reinforce Anne's lovely lesson for that useless dolt.
6/23/2020 c1 6Darcy.E.Taylor
Love this ️
6/9/2020 c1 Carrots
Random request from a reader to start a podcast on ANNE.
Is there one?
6/7/2020 c1 Immery
I just finished the original story and the sequel. I am glad for this little short, because it's great fun, but mostly because it's existence on the front page made me want to read "The teacher in the Glen and it was amazing story" I really loved it. And Joy is such a lovely child. And I have a soft spot for "if Gilbert wasn't dying would Anne ever notice she loves him". It took her really long in this one.

I will now keep in mind to read you RoI story, when I'm ready to get there. (I need to reread canon first).
6/6/2020 c1 6TLWtlw
A lovely sequel.
6/6/2020 c1 74kslchen
Isn't this a nice surprise! I adored TTITG, so I knew I'd adore this before even reading it and after having read it, I can say with absolute certainty that yes, it's absolutely worthy of adoration. Joy is adorable, Anne and Joy together are adorable and while Mr Pleasant is completely deplorable, his deplorable-ness brought about this lovely story, so at least there's *one* good thing to it.

Temperamental Anne is always much fun to read and I enjoyed how you updated her childhood temper in a way that is realistic and fitting for adult Anne. She becomes so settled and complacent in later canon books, so to see her giving that odious man a piece of her mind, all sparks and rightful indignation, was great to see. It's an overused simile, but the picture of the lioness protecting her cub does come to mind because as Anne says, she is unquestionable Joy's mum and it's high time everyone realises that. That very fact is also shown in how Joy opens up to her mum about her struggles and how Anne finds just the right thing to say to console and support her. There's trust, love and understanding and it leaves no doubt that these two are mother and daughter.

I loved how you adapted the end of AoI here, too, and made it so much better. Not only because there's a Joy here, and such an adorable one, but also because you left out the ominous crosses on foreheads and just allowed Anne to love *all* her children and be content in her life with her not-so-little family. That was just the right note to end on.
6/6/2020 c1 4OriginalMcFishie
Quite lovely. Poor Joy, poor Mr Pleasant. It's been wonderful revisiting this family. Thank you for the update.
6/5/2020 c1 KindofaKindred
Yay!
TTITG was one of the first fanfics I read and it's wonderful to have an update on it.
Joy is Anne's daughter (they're so alike) and anyone who dare question it should have their head banged with a something even more heavier than a slate.I loved Anne's talk with Mr Pleasant and it was nice to see Mama Bear Wells was terribly wicked and I hope Joy won't forgive anytime soon such in five years time.
Lovely story!
Thank you for the update!
17 Page 1 2 Next »