FanFiction.Net
for Shortaki Week 2020: Day 5- Pinky Swear

6/9 c4 Oo.miiia.oO
So adorable. I’m really into the idea of seeing Helga and Gerald interact more, whether it be one on one or with their respective besties in the mix. I’d been in a mood for something like this! I do think they have some similarities- btw good call to have them initially connect through their mutual exasperation towards their older sibling- I think they both have a cool aloofness and their own brand of humor, their temperaments may be at odds with eachother but i dunno theres something magnetic and original about their personalities, haha. But i guess that can go for a lot of HA characters, anyway you made them play off eachother really well! Their banter and helgas musings put a big dumb smile on my face. And that goes for the shortaki moments too! I thought they were in character and went as “smoothly” as they do in the show (when theyre both in a good mood anyway). Nice callback to the christmas and thankgiving episodes at the end there. This was such a fun read!
6/8 c4 5darnold-longkid
Man, this fic is so sweet. I bet Arnold was pretty disappointed when she returned to the status quo the following week! You captured Arnold and Helga's chemistry perfectly here, I absolutely believed in Helga's "nice" version of herself, talking with him. Gerald's characterization was also right on point, it sounded just like him. Loved his interactions with Helga too, felt so natural. And of course, Arnold starts showing signs of "interest" her way (beyond just "fascination", haha) as soon as she drops her mean front lol (I love it) Also just wanted to say that I enjoyed the setup for this fic! Very nicely self-contained, and delivers. One of my favorite moments that made me go "aww" out loud, was when Helga noticed that Arnold's hand even "felt" nice. The way she beholds him in this fic, how he embodies those warm, caring qualities as his own inner nature, they just really come through in a special way. Great fanfic! :)
5/5/2021 c4 23Wysteria Fox
Awww it went full circle/callback here. :) I love it when stories do that. It was an overall enjoyable straightforward read. I look forward to what else you decide to write. :)
5/5/2021 c3 Wysteria Fox
It's so adorable that Arnold noticed her not spit balling him.
I think that was the cutest moment for me in that episode where they take the field trip to chocolate factory and Helga and Harold get left behind.
And then Arnold realizes their gone because of lack of spitballs. Ah classic XD
5/5/2021 c2 Wysteria Fox
Awww it's so adorable! Shes getting so excited about him having a good day. And Geralds disbelief- classic. :)
5/4/2021 c1 Wysteria Fox
I really liked this! Their banter was so believable. I always do enjoy when people play with the Gerald Helga dynamic. It doesnt get explored enough IMO. And I can def see Gerald thinking of something like this to help his best bro. :)

Also dont be insecure this flows really well and there isnt any structural problems to note. For most readers I'd say readability and entertainment value are the most important things and this story has both.
8/27/2020 c4 2yingyang90
This was a great and cute short story. I thought it was going to be a one shot but was really glad it wasn't. And to make such a great story on a throw away line. I was hooked right away. Very entertaining and it does make you think of what could have been. If she was nice from the beginning she may have had better chances but also at the same time she may not have spiked his interest if she was like every other girl too.
8/15/2020 c4 2bugdork
This was a cute story! If I were Helga, I would have asked Gerald to do my homework a different week. That way, he could still celebrate Arnold's birthday and Helga could have still gone without homework. Win-win.

Regardless, really good for a first time writer. I'd be interested to read more of your works in the future.
7/31/2020 c4 12Anonymous Latino
It's moments like these that shows Helga not only has a heart, but she is virtuous. She doesn't do it for the attention, or the fame, but purely out of love. This story should be on par with Arnold's Christmas.

On the other hand, this is typical of Gerald that he really doesn't bother to just stop and think about what Helga is trying to do. What is sad about this is that Gerald, unlike the other boys, is smart. Maybe not theoretical smart like Phoebe is, but he is smart to be able put to put two and two together. Yet, because of his unwillingness to see past Helga's toughness, and that he doesn't really care, he puts himself as one of the people who think that Helga is mean and a bully.

nevertheless, I liked this story!
7/31/2020 c3 Anonymous Latino
awwww, cute. Now Arnold is starting to see the nice and beautiful side of her. nice...but also sad
7/31/2020 c2 Anonymous Latino
This is a really nice reversal between the two and how each kid would react to this sudden change. both are completely at a loss on what to do now that Helga is actually leaving him alone for once.

At the same time, it also reveals the really sad truth both their relationship during this time. Had Helga just be nice to him, it would have not only made her feel good far sooner, but it would have had a greater affect on Arnold about her.

I like where this is going!
7/31/2020 c1 Anonymous Latino
Oh, this is very interesting! You even gave me some ideas for possible upcoming stories. But back to topic, I really like the first chapter. For me at least, it immediately grabbed my attention and I really want to see what will happen next. And as one of the commentators already said, it doesn't even look like this is your first time. Nice work!
7/30/2020 c4 22Call Me Nettie
Just finished this and I really like it. I'd really love to know if any of the being nice to Arnold business stayed with Helga. I kind of like to think that it did and that they're just a little bit closer because of it.
7/30/2020 c1 Call Me Nettie
I loved this and at first thought it was a one shot but I'm glad that it's not. I love how you picked up on a small throw away line in the show and have created a whole story out of it. I can't wait for the next chapter. Nice work.
7/30/2020 c4 16smarty0007
This was quite lovely. Thank you for emerging from lurking to write this! I could see this being a lost episode of the show. I've often wondered how Helga and Timberly would interact, but I hadn't thought about Jamie-O. Of course Jamie-O and Helga would get along, and he would see how cool she is. I'm glad Gerald gets to see how cool she is too. Happiest Shortaki Week!
24 Page 1 2 Next »