for For The Greater Good

11/21/2021 c1 kageknuser2710
Holy fuck! First time a prologue has made me cry
11/8/2021 c1 Sherodx
Fuck off with Gryffindor bullshit. Greatest wizard? bah Old Dumbledore trashed him after few minutes of fighting while holding back.
Grindewald fought against prime Dumbledore for hours. Voldemort has worse feats than Grindewald.
No match for his greatness? Bruh, you didn't defeat him. *rolls eyes*
10/6/2021 c4 jonale.fm
Damn good chapter, hope to read more soon
10/2/2021 c2 Cyan-Snake
Wow. Could you imagine having a character go to Beauxbatons instead of Hogwarts? Seems impossible to not just follow the original plot, so I'm out.
10/2/2021 c1 Cyan-Snake
Cringe.
9/15/2021 c1 Guest
Hey. This is great! I love all the detail and the characters really build the world! I love fics that explore the greater wizard world even a little bit!
9/15/2021 c1 2papireaz
It’s a fun chapter, sure maybe a little too fast paced and hard to follow at times, but it’s incredibly fun. I can just see that you are bursting with excitement when writing it, which is an good thing in my books - You actually want to create a quality story
9/14/2021 c1 Nomminay
Great chapter! Getting intriguing with the cursed vaults how you're intertwining Rob and friends into it. I'm enjoying the banter between the friend group and honestly I'm liking Rob's character overall.

Looking forward to the next one!
9/13/2021 c4 1Pk930
pretty cool building up chapter, I like the setting of the cursed vaults and I hope to see more and more adventures as the year progresses, waiting for more for sure !
9/13/2021 c4 Jutten
Eyy, nice to see some good ol' dueling lore and development on spells' usage. I'm very curious about the cursed vault, wonder if we'll get more on it next chapter
9/13/2021 c4 yochan123
Thanks for the chapter!
9/10/2021 c1 Minatom
Okay, lets ride this story!

I hate to say this, but the beginning of the story is not that great. The most bothering part if of course Robert himself. An original character to be the main character in fanfiction story is very hard to pull off. And Robert’s origin started off very badly – he’s a grandson of Gellert Grindelwald, the descendant and heir of Godric Gryffindor, a godson of Appoline Delacour (who’s husband is French Head Auror); Dumbledore, Flamel and Madame Maxime had been presented at his birthday! Robert is so well connected just for the reason of his family, he’s also suppose to be very wealthy and I have no doubts, he’ll prove himself to be an extremely powerful wizard. This is very resemble the god damned stories of super Lord Haridan Potter-Black-Peverell-Gryffindor-Slytherin-Merlin and etc. I’ll give the story a benefit of a doubt, but the start was very hard to shallow. Not to mention that he had almost the same origin as Harry – orphaned by Voldemort, bur survived himself. Okay, there were not any mystical magical survival like with Harry, Voldemort just honored a request of his father to spare him.

The chapter begins with a plot right out of the gates, without very slow and boring preparation. I liked this, when everything is to the point and not wasted on boring things.
Though, there are a lot of confusion. Grindelwald was a descendant of Gryffindor? What? And he studied at Durmstrang, than instigated his global war, and somehow conceived a son who openly lived under the name of Grindelwald after Gellert’s fall? How? I mean, there should have been a lot of families with grudge against Grindelwald – like Krums – who would have seek revenge.
On the other hand, it makes sense that Norbert moved in England – it was said not to be affected by the Grindelwald’s war because of Dumbledore, and therefore, while many would look at him with contempt, but not as much as continental Europeans. Also, Dumbledore had probably put an effort to protect him.

Voldemort showed a lot of generosity (at least for his usual self) and actually spared Robert. Giving that Robert is the main character and most likely is going to oppose Voldy, the Dark Lord will regret this decision in the future.

Moody’s POV.
I see that Jane Roberts had immigrated from Fate to your story. Can’t blame you, she’s awesome!
I also liked how you put more information, even in passing, about Auror rankings, noting out Gawain’s rank as Captain Auror and Amelia Bones’ Head Auror status. That’s actually have a lot of sense for her – she’ll later is going to become a Head of DMLE, so it’s only logical she was an esteemed and powerful Auror in the beginning. So few fanfic portray her as a capable fighter, she’s usually just a reasonable authority figure. She’s even mentioned to be an Auror legend, alongside Scrimgeour and Moody himself.

Some interesting points from Moody: he is a veteran of the Global War against Grindelwald. That’s curious, because such thing was never mentioned in the books. But this makes Alastor even more awesome – he probably renowned as a young Auror, fighting Grindelwald Acolytes overseas back in the day.

Wait, what? Norbert was Dumbledore’s godson? I know that Albus and Gellert were… friends in their youth, but Grindelwald was an international criminal and the Dark Lord for decades, before defeated and imprisoned by Dumbledore. Who Albus could be the godfather of his child? Like, after their epic duel, Gellert said to Albus: “By the way, my wife is going to give a birth to my son. Wanna be a goddaddy?”
Also, how the world would have reacted to it? Isn’t the relationships between Albus and Gellert are a secret with only Aberforth, Batilda and later McGonagall knowing of it? It seems like in FtGG it’s common knowledge. And Aberforth could not be ok with t either.

Also, apparently Gellert, unlike in canon, does not suffered very much from his imprisonment. At least, Dumbledore is certain that Gellert still has his power and have enough information of outside world to know things. I have a feeling that later in the story Gellert will get out of his prison to fight against Voldemort alongside the Order.

Nozea’s POV.
So we learned more about Robert’s lineage from Nozea. It’s not surprising that he as a pure-blood does connected one way or another to other pure-blood families. Also, Nozea’s introspective allowed us to connect Fantastic Beasts lore with current events.

Alain Delacour is the Head of French Bureau des Aurors. A very authentic name, I’ll give you that.

I really don’t like the take on Grindelwald surrendering during their epic duel with Dumbledore. It really makes Dumbledore’s achievement undervalued. Also, the Elder wand would not accept Albus as a master, if he didn’t bested Gellert fair and square.

Looking how horribly traumatized was Robert was heart-wrenching. In that respect Harry was the luckier one as he didn’t remember the murder of his parents, and encountered death again at the age, when he was more prepared to it.

It seems like, Robert is not going to be completely normal after such horrific experience. Maybe, he’ll remind silent, aggressive and anti-social? Who knows, but if he ends up well off and well-adjusted after that, without a proper development, it would felt like another Gary Stu story. I know that Fate was a major inspiration for this story (Ron is also listed as one of the main characters), but Ron, unlike Robert, was an underdog. He’s not talented, he’s not wealthy, he’s not of legendary lineage, his family is not prominent and he’s the most neglected member of his very big family. He does not had anything other than his determination and his visions. Harry, despite his heroic status, was raised by Muggles who hated him and didn’t know about magic and Hogwarts until he’s 11. These misfortunes made them compelling. In Robert’s case… yes, the murder of his family was tragic and traumatizing. However, the chapter had also build up a lot on how special Robert is and how many connections with all sorts of powerful and prominent people he have, just by a virtue of having right parents. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, but placing MC into position of such advantage without him earning it does not feels compelling.

The review seems to be overly critical, for that I’m sorry, but I’m trying to be honest here.
9/3/2021 c3 Nomminay
Loved this chapter as well. Great descriptors and great pacing.
I've enjoyed the witches 3's introduction in this. Its hard to remember that they were all 11 once and wide-eyed going to hogwarts. I am looking forward to the dynamic they will share and have with Rob as they go through hogwarts, as well with Borgin.

The little cameo from Ron was unexpected but welcomed. I would've expected it more from Percy, since Percy is in the same year. I wonder if we will get some povs eventually from him?

Anyway great start and I look forward to how his year will progress.
9/3/2021 c2 Nomminay
Great chapter. I love the world building in particular. Everything is succinctly explained and other things were demonstrated (show and not tell) when needed. The little political power plays with Rosier and Ragnok were a fun read too. I enjoy all the little demonstrations by Robert as well as his built relationships with family, giving him a well rounded character.

I am also enjoying some of his humour too and I am looking forward to it as he goes through Hogwarts.

I didn't think it would matter but I find references to established character names (from Fate) make an appearance here oddly comforting. I know its a different story all together but referring to Greengrass as Sebastian for example was a familiarity I wasn't expecting. ... I think I spend way too much time on the server (lol).

Anyway looking forward to the next chapter!
9/3/2021 c1 Nomminay
I love how well written and well paced the story is. You've nicely established the setting, tone and characters (which I am not familiar with), and it flowed on through from scene to scene smoothly. It slowly drew me into the harrowing situation and the emotional fallout for all the characters. Love it!
55 Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »