FanFiction.Net
for The Depths

10/13/2022 c1 Guest
THIS IS SO CUTE
4/22/2022 c1 Guest
I just wrote a fanfiction based on this rescue as well! I enjoyed reading your story, and I feel so sorry for Anne, of course no one ever taught her to swim with all those twins to take care of!
8/12/2021 c1 VirReturnsFromMinbar
Short but good.
9/5/2020 c1 10Excel Aunt
This actually reminds me a bit of the Anne of Green Gable's movie from 1934 or so staring, you guessed it, "Anne Shirley". That scene was much more dicey and scary. You did a really good job at building up the danger Anne was in, the desperation Gilbert felt to get her to safety, and never left their trademark canon personalities. This was an excellent short, and it made me so happy to read.
9/5/2020 c1 15MrsVonTrapp
So lovely to see something from your good self again, teasingly reminding us of why we've missed you! And the Lily Maid rescue is one of my own favourite moments and it's always terrific to see it in a new light.

What, ho! We have Apologetic Anne?! Ot at the very least grateful for a change. That's one for the books! Gosh, I wish it had been. Canon Anne may have repented a very little in private, but she was awful to Gilbert's face, and it is always painful to read. Here, though, her stubborn pride is overpowered by a very real danger and my little heart leaped as Gilbert leapt from that boat. I do love a Rescue Blythe, and he gives a fantastic rendering of it here.

What I most love are your little true-to-character touches; Gilbert acknowledging to himself in the moment he may have slightly oversold his swimming ability; that momentary horror over the thought of resuscitation (he's absolutely right; she would never have been able to look him in the eye); and Anne fighting her scorn to 'soften' and 'test out' a new beginning.

Feel free to continue any number of updated canon interludes whilst we await that adventurous pair traipsing the Continent x
9/5/2020 c1 42oz diva
So terribly annoying when your righteous indignation comes up hard against reality. It's all very well to have standards but when they are literally rather than figuratively slipping it's handy to have a saviour nearby, even if he is your sworn enemy. Very fun to have another examination of this iconic scene, thank you.
9/2/2020 c1 77kslchen
Well, this is a saving that deserves to be called a saving! I always felt the scene was made out to be a little more dramatic than it actually was (especially in the Sullivan movies where the water is super shallow, the shore about six feet away and Anne far too ready to climb into Gilbert's boat without any sort of resistance!), but you certainly add the necessary drama. As Anne acknowledges, in *this* version, Gilbert well and truly saved her life and deserves proper thanks. Not that thanks leads to automatic friendship, of course! That'd be too easy!

I really enjoyed how you captured their personalities. Of course Anne is introduced by her nose flying into the air (no plain old raising for the Shirley nose!) and while Gilbert is certainly gallant (and much the more sensible of the two), he can't resist some smirking and showing off either. Even in this suitably dramatic and life-threatening situation, those two are firmly in-character. Naturally, Anne absolutely refusing to get into the boat even when she's barely holding on is totally characteristic for her (and yes, I'm frowning in the general direction of a certain director), as is Gilbert jumping in to save her without a second thought. Those Blythe men always had a bit of a hero complex ;).

Apropos of nothing: When Gilbert pointed out that he *was* the help, that made me think of the joke about the drowning man refusing all help because God will save him, only for him to drown and God to chide "I sent you a rowboat and a motorboat and a helicopter..." or some variation thereof. Anne would totally do that, too!

Now, while I'm certainly missing the Mad European Travels of Dr and Mrs Blythe, I absolutely understand that you have other things on your mind right now, so you just chip away at it as it works for you. We shall be patient and wait for whenever you want to bless us with a new instalment! *However*, you may not say "by the time the pandemic is over". It's not an acceptable timeframe, not even in jest! It is simply not allowable!
9/2/2020 c1 62TinaLouise88
Dramatics! Does Anne's know how not to be dramatic haha!

Thankfully our lovely Gilbert is up for the rescue but I do pity his wool trousers he is most likely wearing lol The things i worry about in stories. Clothing haha.

Very cute story and i keep hearing...'Fishing for lake trout in my head while reading this. lol.
9/2/2020 c1 Guest
Loved reading this thank you for writing i
9/2/2020 c1 Guest
An ode to Anne's stubbornness. Sorry about your job, my country is in it's worst recession since the great depression, I guess it's the same the world over. We'll be here to read the next chapter whenever you are able to write it.
9/1/2020 c1 Guest
Thank you for writing this I loved your addition to Elaine
9/2/2020 c1 3Lavinia Maxwell
Love the drama!
9/2/2020 c1 YodaChick
A very fitting reiteration, love it ️