for Standing at the Gravestones

11/8/2020 c3 32Elizabeth Joan-hbndgirl
This is fantastic! Many of the Susanfics I've read don't do justice to any of the characters, or to C.S. Lewis himself, for that matter. This one did. I especially appreciate how Susan has to continue living, not just to get that second chance she needs, but also to help Mrs. Macready, whom she couldn't have possibly sympathized with before experiencing her own tragedy. Thank you for sharing!
11/8/2020 c3 68WillowDryad
This is lovely. I was surprised by (and very much liked!) the appearance of the Macready. I wouldn't have thought of her and Susan having something like this in common, but it works beautifully.

Well done.
11/8/2020 c3 4SouthwestExpat
You really humanized Mrs Macready here, giving a reason why she didn't like the Pevensies - they reminded her of what she regrets giving away (and perhaps what could have been). And while it doesn't make the grief go away for either Susan or Mrs Macready, this glimpse of reconciliation (enemies would be a bit strong, but having a rather antagonistic relationship), that they can now help one another, easing the pain just a little. That this could happen after so many years is a thing of beauty - that good can come from grief.
11/7/2020 c2 SouthwestExpat
This is thought-provoking. Living with loss is hard, but especially when the loss is so sweeping, like for Susan. "Grey and aching days/that aren't life" - it's dying with the burdens of going through the motions of living.

Yet, "greater love hath no man than this, to lay down his life for his friends". Can it be harder to be the beneficiary of a sacrifice than to make it?

But Susan isn't in that circumstance. What of surviving when the death has nothing to do with you, and the loss is so massive...

I think I'll be pondering this short piece for a while.
11/7/2020 c1 68WillowDryad
This is achingly beautiful. Sometimes we don't realize until it's past making right.

And who do we have but Him when all is lost? Who else has the words of life?

You've made me cry.

(But I believe this is how Susan eventually came back to The Truth.)
11/6/2020 c1 4SouthwestExpat
I do not have words adequate for this. St Paul told the Thessalonians we do not grieve as the world, because we have hope (though the example of Abraham after the death of Sarah shows there is still grief). But where hope has been turned away from, there can be no comfort, not without returning.
11/5/2020 c1 10BellatrixTheStar
You know just how to make me cry, you know that?
The older I get, the more I understand regrets. They are like running, head first, into a brick wall. Again and again and again. And for some reason you almost can't stop your mind from continually returning to it, at night, in the morning, at the most random of moments.
You've captured that perfectly.
RIP BellatrixThe Star
11/5/2020 c1 17Pacifia
Very heartbreaking. Spoke directly to my soul.

And "All the times I wished they'd be just quiet..." - You had no right!

But thank you. :-)

(P.S. I think the glitch has been fixed!)