for Meet Me in the Middle of the Air

8/12/2021 c1 26Mauryn
Yes, you have probably noticed I'm getting caught up on your fics, gradually.

Rosemary is one of my favorite characters from Rainbow Valley. And her romance with John Meredith is one of my favorite romances, ever.

I love how you included not only Anne but also dear Marilla in this story.

Another lovely work you can be proud of.
5/2/2021 c1 139rebecca-in-blue
What a touching story. I never read far enough into the series to meet Rosemary and her family, but that wasn't really an issue. I really like how you write the family dynamics of Rosemary and John falling in love and her becoming a new stepmother but feeling overwhelmed with it. I'm so glad that Anne and Marilla were there to talk to her, and you capture their personalities and relationship so well in that scene. I loved seeing them on more equal footing and both giving maternal advice.
1/4/2021 c1 74kslchen
During the first reading, my addled brain substitutes Jerry for John in that first sentence, making it read like Rosemary didn't know what had first attracted her to *Jerry* Meredith, and I thought, "Well, this is wild!" ;) Thankfully, we're not going there and it's just been my brain playing tricks on me, because the wild route wouldn't have led to this delightful little story.

I never thought about Marilla giving Rosemary advice, mainly because they exist in very different corners of the Anne-universe (Maud had such a habit of compartmentalising Anne's life!) and I never thought of them meeting in the first place. Now that you've written it though, it totally makes sense. Sure, Anne brought up seven children and can give advice on that, but she also gave birth to them, so what she doesn't know anything about is how to become a mother to older children when you really don't expect it to. Marilla knows that all too well, so she's really the perfect person to provide advice and comfort to Rosemary here.

Rainbow Valley spends rather a lot of time musing about how it will be for the children to get a stepmother (understandably, as it's mainly Una's POV), but it never addresses what it feels like for the stepmother to suddenly acquire a brood of children - especially unruly ones like the Merediths children. You really do fill a void here by addressing that and it makes me see Rosemary in an entirely new light. I mean, no wonder she's overwhelmed! She lived a very quiet life with Ellen before and suddenly, she has all the responsibility of a wife and mother, with no real example to model herself on. It's just as well Anne and Marilla drop in to support her, because she clearly needs someone to prop her up and encourage her here.

Of course, this story also gives us a very apt look at Miss Cornelia. She doesn't have a bad heart, but she does have an awful lot of opinions, so to have her poke her nose in and meddle is spot on. I had to laugh at her later declaring that she never had any doubts about Rosemary's parenting skills, because isn't that *some* selective memory? Rosemary handles it with lots of graciousness though and I liked the nod back at Marilla, too, because it tells us that the advice she gave that day stayed with Rosemary and helped her over the years.

Lastly, let me applaud you for writing this *before* reading Rainbow Valley, because no-one could guess it from reading this story. Excellently done!
12/30/2020 c1 18Alinyaalethia
So nice to see you up in my corner of universe :) I have white a lot of affection for Rosemary, too. She does love those children.

The scrape you invent is suitably harmless and nicely reworks another Meredith mishap where they were themselves spooked by Henry Warren...er...someone’s stray laundry. Tweaking it so that Henry catches someone else on the other foot and avenging little Una is delightful. I actually love your little aside about Una nursing her scorn because it taps into a part of a Una that gets overlooked often. There’s a fabulous scene where Mary Vance is rambling on about her new fur muff and how warm it is and all the while Una’s hands are getting redder and redder and colder and colder. But when Mary notices and tries to loan her the muff, Una won’t have it out of pride. This reminds me of that. It’s not that Una is superhuman and only feels charitable towards everyone, it’s that she bottles up all her little hurts and hugs them close.

But what you actually set out to write was this exploration of motherhood and I love what you do with our three benevolent witches. Well, okay, mums, but they do feel a bit coven-ish, and I’m pretty sure you have to be a bit magic to survive parenting, so I stand by it. Marilla is indeed no stranger to wild children so it’s right you bring her into this and how apt her advice is. Love overcoming great odds has a very fairytale feel to it too, as dies immediately buying the children new shoes. Obviously Rosemary is trying her best and she just needed a reminder that secular miracles don’t happen overnight and she’s not doing this alone. With Anne and Marilla for allies I foresee a very bright future for everyone.

(But now go read Rainbow Valley! It opens with gossip bout a man who hanged himself and does the cup of sorrow/cup of joy LMMtreatment beautifully.)
12/28/2020 c1 6TLWtlw
I like this so much.
12/28/2020 c1 14elizasky
I'm so glad that you've been making your way through Rainbow Valley! (My fave, as you well know.) I'm not surprised to see that you've brought Marilla into things, as she is your specialty, and it fills a real hole in canon. Of course Marilla would visit Ingleside as often as she could! Wouldn't canon be so much more interesting if Marilla had come to visit for six months when Rilla was born instead of tiresome old Aunt Mary Maria? Who knows what LMM was thinking.

It's very nice to see Rosemary getting some support from people who have a loving and supportive adoptive relationship. Anne and Marilla are an inspiration on that point and it sounds as if Rosemary needs their good advice. It did make me wonder about how Mrs. Elliott thinks of Mary Vance. Does she ever consider her a daughter? Or is she more of a ward? She's about the same age Anne was when Marilla and Matthew adopted her, so I wonder how their relationship developed.

I loved getting glimpses of the kids as well. Jerry in his wild youth! Lovely. You've invented a plausible scrape for them as well — one that is justified but likely to get them into trouble. And in the graveyard as well! They always did get into more trouble in the graveyard than other places.

Of course Rosemary couldn't whip them! After all, the precipitating event that sent Una running off to propose is Carl is *not* whipped. So no whipping for the Meredith kids sounds just right.

I enjoyed seeing this glimpse of a much older Marilla. It's also nice to see a bit of Anne's friendship with Rosemary. We don't see very much of that in the books, but they must have developed a relationship as the years went by. They certainly share enough grandchildren, and I think Rosemary would find Anne a more congenial sister than brash Ellen.

Lovely to see this one-shot from you!
12/28/2020 c1 immery
Oh. This is so much. Just one little scene and my heart can't take it. Marilla is so great here. She has more experience with raising children who need love and care. Loved it do much.
12/28/2020 c1 4OriginalMcFishie
this is sweet. I love the idea of Rosemary needing support and finding it in Marilla and Anne. The line about Dan Reese needing clean pants made me laugh
12/28/2020 c1 DrinkThemIn
I enjoy this new territory! Marilla was the perfect person to use in boosting Rosemary’s spirit.
12/27/2020 c1 Guest
That was lovely. It's rare to see a story that deals with both the hardships of being a step parent and the hardships of dealing with an elderly parent.