for The Alien Mind

3/31/2021 c1 10Anla'shok
The idea of progenitor (Caretaker?) brains looking like a salad bowl under microscope is rather funny.

I was ten or so when Dad introduced me to AC and I remember reading the book and asking "what's the deal with 'dubious ethics' adding all those drones to the University?" I should have been made to read this.

"He sounded unhappy, more so than simply having to explain what he was doing to someone outside the field."
I love that *this* is the kind of unhappiness Zakharov can empathize with. He must be a one of a kind pragmatic genius to stay in charge.

Poor Montanari has just learned why the top brass doesn't usually mingle with those who have a high death risk.
3/27/2021 c1 23Danny Barefoot
Zakharov certainly comes over through the whole piece as sincerely absorbed in his discoveries to the near-complete exclusion of human sympathy. Dr M less so, but he's also absorbed in studying the alien corpse when his lover just died. Human minds, other than Zakharov's, do hold a strange mixture of drives, values and feelings. 'lover' itself seems a cold way to refer to someone in this context, but I don't know if this further expresses the University faction valuing research more than relationships. Interesting and expressive.
3/27/2021 c1 1Adam Safran
Ahhh, University. Zakharov, never change.