FanFiction.Net
for Charade

8/10/2021 c1 10bloomandgrow
This was brilliantly original. I love the way you have elevated the laendler to something quite subversive and relentlessly determined, as if it were something with its own will. Maria and Georg and the children have all been caught in its spell and it is not letting go of them.

You've given it an almost menacing 'take-no-prisoners' air about it, but at the same time it is magical and seductive. We are on its side because we know that its purpose is to allow to two people the freedom to love each other. You've made it incendiary enough to break down social barriers and expose the charade that Maria and Georg have been playing out.

Loved the way it is tormenting Georg. His tortured thoughts about its "deceptive simplicity and fraudulent innocence" are the best description of the laendler I have come across.

The scene with Georg and the children was so on point, bringing out their personalities of the children with just a few sentences.

Hah! The last sentences made me smile. This is one battle Georg is going to lose quite spectacularly. He doesn't know it yet, but he will have no chance against the power of the laendler as the dance of love.
Wonderful, wonderful writing.
8/4/2021 c1 149rebecca-in-blue
I really like that ending scene of Georg and the kids all realizing that they're still hearing the Laendler play, and the added bit that they did catch a glimpse of Maria at the abbey was such a great reveal. I do wish that the two sections before it weren't quite so heavy and angsty.
7/22/2021 c1 11IDontKnowYourSignal
Such a wonderful insight into the lasting impact of the Laendler. I love how it has taken on a spiritual, almost physical, presence. No one who witnessed THE dance to THAT music seems to be immune from its haunting, oppressive, powers. You’ve captured the essence of a piece of music or a song, and how it becomes instrinsically linked with a memory - a place, a time, a person. In the end, in your mind, one doesn’t exist without the others.
The end was so bittersweet. Georg told himself he was going to learn to block out the Laendler and the memory of Maria, but of course, that was impossible - the music, the memory just haunted him more.
Loved that this played out against the backdrop of Mancini’s ‘Charade’. Even years later, a certain song or music will transport us back to a different time and place. My hope is that Georg found it impossible to ignore the Laendler. I’m picturing him, years later, dancing with Maria in his arms, both humming that familiar tune…
7/21/2021 c1 15persaphones
You already know how much I love this story. The whole idea of the Laendler breaking the charade Georg and Maria operated under is wonderful. I love the way you guide us through Georg's realization they assumed their roles as a cover for what was simmering underneath. I could read this story over and over. Thank you again for sharing it, and for trusting me with proofreading your work! x
7/20/2021 c1 BrittanyLS
The Laendler scene is still the absolute best in any movie! Absolutely nothing can touch it!
7/20/2021 c1 15MsHope
Oh gosh, I'm still at a loss for words because this is such a beautiful, artful, brilliant piece and I will forever be grateful for it (and for you, but you already know that)! I absolutely loved the use of the laendler - it was so absolutely clever! And the children! Ugh, so adorable - especially Marta. I would name more things that I love about this, and I'm still so flabbergasted by how good this is, and with your song choice (Henry Mancini really NEVER misses). Plus, I'm still quite teary eyed over the ending (lies, I cried bucketloads already, and I will be crying bucketloads more)! Thank you, again, and I really cannot wait to see whatever you have in store for us next! Sending lots of love :)
7/19/2021 c1 Guest
That was beautiful ! I love how you used the landler here, and it's so well written !
7/19/2021 c1 1reisova
Oh, again marvelous story and only one shot you are torture us :) So I do hope my first sentence is enough encourage you to continue :)