for Hard Luck Stories

10/5/2021 c2 Asianprincesss
Wowwwwww! Not who I was expecting lol, very interested to see how it pans out, and to learn about faith and Ken’s history?! And learn what has happened in the interim, like how did Rilla die, or is Jem still alive, even though he never made it out of Germany in 1018. Excited!
10/4/2021 c1 18Alinyaalethia
Very different indeed. But it has all your hallmarks. Interesting premise, lots of differently voiced characters, and excellent internal monologue. Third limited is new (at least reading you in English it is) but I like it as a way of differentiating Faith from your various Rillas.

The atmosphere is excellent too. It feels cold, wet, miserable and sort of downtrodden in a very specifically grey and English way.

You have a compelling opening and the children are intriguing. I’ll be interested to watch all your pieces fall into place as we discover how we got here.
10/4/2021 c1 AnneShirley
Hi! (Okay, I know, bit rich of me to show up here after so long with just that, but let's just say that it's been a - ride. I started college, realised I'm nonbinary, and also got an ADHD diagnosis, which was probably something that explained all the ups and downs of the past few months.) But I'm here now, and sauntering in late as usual (what can I say, I'm predictable.)

So the premise, as I'm understanding it, seems to suggest Jem died, or stayed in the prison camp longer to the extent that dramatic changes occurred. Faith did not marry him, is a doctor with some very cool roommates, and well.

As for the identity of the children's parents, which I'm sure is the first clue to understanding this world order, I'm guessing that there's only two choices. They're half Blythe for sure, and one obvious choice is them being the children of Rilla and Ken, having inherited her hazel eyes and all that. But that'd be far too simple, so is the tall man Jem? And the children's mother, who was hardly an angel as Faith puts it, was someone he met as a result of the changed universe. Which is also why Faith says later on that she met a ghost from her past, but refuses to deny that it's an old flame - hardly Ken Ford, I should say, but almost indubitably Jem. I shall hold onto this idea till the next chapter.

But the most interesting part in this chapter, for me, apart from the little detective story of whose kids those two are, is Faith's living arrangement. Obviously like Patty's Place, but with less glowing hope than simply making do. I particularly liked the part about "a kind of humour born of shared experiences and shared hardships overcome," a beautifully pointed description of a beautiful feeling. And I also loved how you painted the heterogeneity of the women - Pearl may be a little disreputable by the standards of the day, Faith is still an anomaly for her day and age, Esther came from the same VAD background and is now working for an organization that aims to grieve the dead appropriately, Mabel is a factory worker and that cot in the kitchen speaks volumes.

(Also, I sapphic code everything these days, so Esther and Pearl...?)

Your characterisation is something I am always in awe of, really. Faith's already a force of nature, the doctor and independent woman in an era when both are judged harshly, but even the minor characters are so finely done. I mean, only a genius would have thought of Quadruple F.

I think I can tell where this is going, and that's one thing I love about your stories. They definitely have clear ends (and I just know what this one will be), but in getting to A to B, it's often such a winding and fulfilling journey, one that I really hope I'm able to continue on. I already have so many ideas in my head for what I think will happen here, but I'm waiting for the next chapter to see what comes next!
10/2/2021 c1 3DW.618
Hi! I'm so thrilled to have this new story to devour and savor...as well as the next story you mentioned. Quadruple F, Mabel, Pearl, and Esther all seem to have very interesting ppersonalities and I look forward to getting to know them better. I've never really been that interested in Faith, but I can already see that your Faith has a lot more depth than I've considered so I welcome aeeingbthe world through her eyes.

Your writing is a pleasure to read - both from the way you weave words and emotions together but also because of the research you do in order to set the story in its place. For example, I never considered the issue of running out of coal, riding on a double decker bus, or the existence of a hospital for women/children being operated only by women. Your stories ALWAYS open my eyes in unexpected ways.

Will this story be on a weekly posting schedule on Saturdays?
10/2/2021 c1 DogMonday
Welcome back, kslchen, you have been thouroughly missed. In your absence I have been browsing around for other older good stories in the AoGG universe. There are certainly some. But I have come to realise something about your writing. In addition to writing amazing stories, vibrant dialogues, developing characters etc, always based on meticulous research you are also reliable in your writing. You deliver what you promise to deliver. Your previous stories but also your notes to this new story proves that, this story is already written and you are working in the next beyond that. Far too many stories out there are rarely updated or not at all in spite of lengthy notes suggesting stories continuing one, two or even more years. Seems many writers are undertaking too big Projects. There are some really good stories in the range of appr 5 k - 30 k, that is sometimes enough. So to all your other virtues I now add reliability.

Now to this story. I’m so glad Faith is a doctor already back in the 1920-ies. She is apparently single and she has seemingly cut all ties with her childhood and youth in Canada. The only person from that time mentioned by name is Una, maybe with some reluctance? But the children in the waiting room are a connection to her past. She has never seen the six year old girl, but the brother (one-two years older?) she saw when he was a baby. I guess all your readers, including me, think we can guess the identity of the father in the reception, but I assume you could be deceiving us. I guess the clue to the family and its connection to Faith lies in the identity if the ”Mummy angel”, (presumably dark haired?). And Faith does not quite like the mother, right? You have certainly planned enough question marks as well as clues there making it so interesting already to follow the story. The biggest question mark is maybe the changed character of Faith, something really devastating must have happened in the years following Armistice.

A quick word on Bye, bye blackbird. A really nice song, I associated it with the Beatles but I realise now I danced to a cover with Ringo Starr only in my youth. It’s a sad song, but with a streak of hope? Your use of the lines in this song will be very interesting to follow.

See you next Tuesday!
9/30/2021 c1 Andrea1984
Eine interessante Geschichte.
Ich bin gespannt wie es weitergeht.

Herzliche Grüße
Andrea
9/29/2021 c1 12MrsVonTrapp
It is always intriguing to see a new story from you, and congratulations on returning so soon after your modern Rilla epic! I sincerely hope that THIS time I might be better able to keep up :)

I'll admit, my heart was squeezed by your premise, but at the same time I do rather love universes that challenge canon, and particularly LMM's fondness for neat, predestined relationships. And yet... and yet... haunted by those hazel eyes!

There is so much about this first update that pulls you in... Firstly, your depiction of Faith - doctor and independent woman - is terrific, and there are enough glimpses of the Faith of old for us to hold onto, whilst also accounting for the changes wrought in her by her very different years in London, which is already depicted so vividly. Faith's housemates are wonderfully represented; a disparate group with their wide-ranging ways of supporting themselves which shows again your fabulous research at work. "Quadruple F' is a lovely, fun bit of brilliance, and then the Intrigue with a capital I over the meeting with those children and their identity and that of their father... I am HERE for all of THAT and eagerly await to see how all your story elements unfold.

Some glorious descriptions too that deserve mention - I loved 'If fear made Una brave, it has always made Faith useless' and 'the dragon hiding in the shadows, whispering on the wind'.

And finally... 'Bye Bye Blackbird' is one of my favourites, and I look forward to your future chapter titles. I still can't seem to go past Joe Cocker's fabulous version.

A wonderful new enterprise and yet another must-read on my roster x
9/28/2021 c1 1Will Solace
Oh this is such an intriguing opening chapter — I’m curious to solve the mystery of how this world has played out in the post-war years. Thank you for writing and sharing this story online! I can’t wait to see how it unfolds! ️
9/28/2021 c1 MwithanE
Good to have you back!
Oh that raises so many questions. I can’t wait to read what comes next!
9/28/2021 c1 Asianprincesss
Ooooo I’m intrigued and excited! Can’t wait for this new story :))
85 « Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6