FanFiction.Net
for The Switch

11/6/2022 c1 AnneNGil
This is fantastic! So entertaining. Though I would love to read the 5000 word version. Lol!

And yes! I'd love you to continue with fairytale magic!
LOL!
11/4/2022 c1 19Alinya Alethia
Admirably fond, McFishie! This is a lot of fun. Right from the first, the unfortunate preserves labeled in a misdirected fit of creativity help set up the tone of the piece.

You’ve condensed a potentially tricky plot with a wonderful light touch. It’s a bit gothic, which Island era Anne can appreciate, but mostly it’s a delightfully tongue in cheek romp through ridiculous mores and norms. Anne telling Gilbert not to expose her knees and ankles is one of my favourite lines. A bit stiff and severe but from our perspective, extremely funny. And the whole situation is absurd!

I enjoy how this lets you untangle the misguided romances too. There’s more comedy here as Gilbert dodges Roy’s proposal, made funnier by the double play of Anne not being the girl Roy took her for. If he only knew! Elsewhere, eloquent Anne gets reduced to umming by Christine Stewart. But she recovers nicely, and manages to win the Cooper for Gilbert.

The story is a shirt, sweet nudge and wink at canon and I’m so glad you stuck with it. Excellent work.
11/2/2022 c1 Guest
LOL! That scene where Oblivious Roy reaches out to hold Gilbert’s hand! Hahaha the look of horror on his face would have been one to behold indeed.
And the other genius move - Gilbert essentially snogging himself before they switch back… hilarious! Gosh, I love this so much! Thank you for sharing, and hope you’ve had a fabulous halloween!
11/1/2022 c1 Lilly
Loved it have you seen it's a boy girl thing body swap film reminded me of that a little. Would love to read the long version of this brilliant Anne and Gilbert story perfect reading
10/31/2022 c1 3WhatIsThis'Sleep'YouSpeakOf
This was fun and sweet and I loved it!
10/31/2022 c1 42oz diva
This is so delightful. From those ill chosen preserves causing a storm within to rival the one raging outside. To the untimely bump on the head and subsequent body swap. I love how they accepted what they had to do next and that it brought them closer together. And what busy days they each had ahead.

Anne's poem gave Gilbert such insight into her life on a level he had hitherto not known and that was a really beautiful thing. But Gilbert's reaction to Roy's proposal and Roy not even fighting for his girl was delicious. Gilbert was even a tad apologetic about it too, which I thought was very sweet.

And Anne in her own way was just as helpful to Gilbert, extolling his virtues to the Cooper board in a manner that perhaps he might not have done himself. The fact that in doing so she understood the depth of her feelings for him was the icing on the cake.

Extra special marks for hitting all the requirements and of course the word limit! I do wish you'd write more my friend, it's always such a treat to read your gorgeous stories.

Anne relishing Gilbert's clothing, why it's comfortable! says so much about women's undergarments at the time.
10/31/2022 c1 62TinaLouise88
This is adorable and cheeky! I do enjoy the Edwardian and late Victorian jokes about showing ankles knees and all the poking fun of corsets of course.

Anne enjoying men’s wear as well is classic.

Of course with the switch things go much more swimmingly between finding Christine is engaged and Royal crying at his rejection. Which sadly I did laugh cry indeed!

Very lovely take on freaky Friday indeed!
10/30/2022 c1 Guest
That was fabulous! Well done.
10/29/2022 c1 DrinkThemIn
Yes, spotted them all! Well who doesn’t love a Freaky Friday story! It was good fun - part of me was bummed that Anne got the Cooper news instead of Gilbert but you know, all in good fun. I think he was okay with alternate news. ;)

So good to see you topping the page again. Xo
10/29/2022 c1 15MrsVonTrapp
Oh, darling! I am still laughing at 'Gilbert answered by grabbing the stubbly face in front of him and kissing her passionately'. That tickled me unduly! Thank you for this wonderful start point for all our Halloween-themed vignettes, and to quote Sullivan, because you know I always do, for this year being the one 'inspiring us with the idea in the first place.'

This is naturally an instantly wonderful Freaky Friday premise wrapped in your warm, humorous Disney-esque blanket. The carrot and pumpkin preserves were inspired - the two most hated vegetables for Anne, in her most hated hue, and decorated, indeed, in a 'misdirected fit of creativity', which was priceless phrasing. The fun of their body-swap exploits is only just beginning, however, with Gilbert quite rightly having no business showing ankle let alone a little leg in his new skirts, and Anne finding fabulous Gentleman Jack-like freedom in trousers and flat shoes. I'd pay money for extended scenes with the both of them grappling with their new attire, but our word count I know keeps those desires in check for now.

There is always a gentle lesson within your stories, though, and so it is here - the knowledge and understanding of the other they both gain in the interim, and ultimately, of course, of themselves. That was such a rewarding part of this process. I loved that in having each other's backs they realised their made-for-each-otherness, and were suitably quick to act on it. But meanwhile not-Anne and not-Gilbert's respective encounters with Roy and Christine were fabulous, and cleared the decks for their own coming together. I cringed as Roy put his arm around the shoulders of not-Anne and rejoiced in such a resolute marriage refusal. And I really thought that Excel Aunt had scarred me for all time with her use of 'Bertie' but Christine's 'Gilly' takes the cake. For that alone she can 'Exit, pursued by a bear' as far as I'm concerned!

I loved the almost incongruous image of Gilbert-as-Anne stroking a cat as Anne was wont to do, and I adored Anne's beautiful reckoning with her hair, seeing it as others might - indeed, seeing it quite literally through Gilbert's eyes - and appreciating its beauty for the first time. That was a gorgeous bit of business, bringing your story full circle, and thank you for that x

A perfect resolution, with that kiss! Naturally :)

I miss your stories on this site but am so glad to read this fun nugget today. Happy Halloween!
10/29/2022 c1 6TLWtlw
Such a good story
10/29/2022 c1 3Lavinia Maxwell
This story was so funny and cute! I absolutely loved it ;)
10/29/2022 c1 77kslchen
Obviously, this is a delight! It's always a special treat to read anything from you and that's certainly true for this story as well. I draw my hat to you for managing to not only include three prompts but all ten of them. Masterfully done! I also marvel at your ability to cut down a 5000 word draft into a 1874 word story. I only had to cut 50 words from my story and I mourned every last one of them, so for you to be able to cut over 3000 words leaves me full of wonder. Can you teach me your magic, oh great one? (Though, much as I truly enjoy this shortened version, I can't deny there's a part of me that covets a look at the long draft, too. Just for research, of course!)

But now, on to your story proper.!

This is a really fun turn on the old phrase "to walk a mile in someone else's shoes". Anne and Gilbert, being their very own version of 'pride and prejudices' certainly need a life's lessons to see matters - and themselves - through each other's eyes, so it's certainly a lighting strike (and head-bump) of luck that forces them, too. I really enjoyed how you used this special day to make both of them learn more about the other one, Gilbert by reading Anne's poem and Anne by confronting her own feelings about Gilbert by having to describe them in honest terms. It gives real substance to their change of heart (or, well, Anne's change of heart, I suppose) and turns this particular day into an important lesson for them both. Very niftily done!

I had to laugh at the horror of Gilbert being proposed to by Roy Gardner (and wonder what Roy would say if he knew quite who he truly proposed to!) and at his instinctive reaction to decline as quickly as possible. Bummer to Roy and his lace handkerchief, of course, but ah... you win some, you lose some, right? I did like that Gilbert also had the good grace to feel awful about what he thought was him destroying Anne's marriage prospects, because it shows that he truly does care about her. Enough so to give her up to another man, if that's what it would have come to. Anne, in her own way, mirrors that care not only in her speech to the committee but also in the pure joy she shows as Gilbert winning the Cooper.

Of course, their little magical switcheroo is made undone by a kiss, because if this truly was a higher power losing patience with them both and doing a little meddling, this was clearly the desired outcome, right? Phil, certainly, would agree with me (and is probably a bit of a psychic if she's honest with herself, because I believe Phil knew that Gilbert was much the better suitor than Roy fairly early on, if I remember correctly). The certainty that comes with the kiss is also very Anne-and-Gilbert, I think, because while they took their sweet time (well, Anne did), it's very symbolic of their certainty and the trust they have in their togetherness that they immediately know that yes, a wedding is in their future - as it rightfully should be!