for The First Time

4/10/2020 c1 18helloitskrisha
Ooh this is such a great one-shot! I've always been fascinated by Erik's time in Persia, and the way you wrote both him and the Daroga in this one felt so true to both of their characters. That Erik would relish the feeling of taking a life because it gave him power and control is sad and yet so realistic. The Daroga's horrified reaction (and then urge to protect Erik from himself) was so perfect!
5/6/2017 c1 39Riene
How have I not run across this story before? This insight into Erik's character is very well done. I really liked the Daroga's description of Erik as being at times eons wise and old, yet oddly childlike, lacking in defenses and how the world had the ability to still hurt him.

The Daroga's concern is palpable here, and rightly so. Erik's excitement at gaining a new skill, without seemingly any emotional / human attachment to the act is very revealing of his emotionally stunted state. His delight on returning is worse, how pleased he is with himself. The Daroga's reflections at the end are a perfect summary.

Really well done piece here! Bravo!
1/21/2012 c1 3nightingales-rose
Wonderful! It would actually be interesting to make this into more than a one-shot . . . An interesting evaluation of Erik's tortured mind, and of how viewing himself as (and having others view him as) "less" than human led to the development of his more murderous, "crazy" characteristics.
7/20/2011 c1 37VioletIsabelleLovett
This was very good. I like how in-character Erik and the Persian are. Great job! By the way, I've seen your user name on the Phantom of the Opera fansite! I'm Eriks_Love. :)
7/18/2010 c1 Keyklee
Wow, this is just incredible!

You're so good with Leroux! I love your characterizations of both Erik and Nadir, and I especially adore to get to learn and hear about Erik through the Persian's eyes. I love background stories about Leroux' Erik because I feel I hardly understand him, and yours seems so incredibly realistic and just amazing. I love how you worked in the smell of Death on Erik's hands, the way you show how being an assassin affected him. And I really enjoyed too to learn more about the Persian's view on the shah and the little sultana. This is so sad and beautiful, thankyou so so much for sharing!
2/2/2009 c1 zeeksmom
I was reading a story by Stefanie Bean which led me to her profile, which led me to this story and back to YOUR profile, where I read that you're finally going to finish your stories! I can't tell you how delighted I am-I've been waiting forever to find out what happens in Song of the Nightingales, and now perhaps my wish will be granted. It annoyed me that you took down a perfectly wonderful love/sex scene with the intention of lengthening it, and then dropped the whole project. Talk about frustrating!

I hope you'll "dust off" all your WIPs, as you say, and bring us more of your wonderful tales.

Zeeksmom
7/2/2007 c1 6Serpina Silver Tongue
Good work. You write a very good Daroga. I can't wait to read more of your work.
5/29/2007 c1 47phantom-jedi1
Interesting. This seems as though it could be more than a one shot, should you wish to take it in that direction.

Phantom Jedi
5/19/2006 c1 MadLizzy
Excellent story! I particularly liked the breezy way the Daroga explained how and why he found Erik and how Erik came into his own in the Persian court. You summarized it in a five sentences that made it all clearer than any other author has been able to master. Very well done!

~ML
5/16/2006 c1 30Tango1
Wow, what a poignant, emotionally true story. You capture both Erik and the Persian perfectly, and it's so heartbreaking to see how Erik is deceiving himself, and how what he has done is affecting him both on the conscious and the subconscious levels. I love the reference to the smell of death on his hands being imagined, and the contrast with his unwashed clothing - and I particularly like that you do not overstate your case but let the reader see it all for themselves. Instant favourite!
3/29/2006 c1 45stefanie bean
I'm always interested in "How Erik got that way" stories. This is a chilling little insight into part of what might have tipped him over the edge. I see a slight Lady Macbeth allusion, where he can't wash the blood off of his hands, as much as he'd like. The idea also that his "smell of death" is some kind of manifestation of the state of his soul is especially interesting. The old legends of the saints had them smelling like roses, at least some of the time. Perhaps Christine later can smell his soul, even for a moment in the corridor. I also like the element of Erik coming to think of himself as more than human. It reminded me of the old Greek saying, "Whom Zeus wishes to destroy, he first drives mad." Poor Erik ... the Persian's love just can't seem to save him.
3/25/2006 c1 cardcastle
Wow, that was really good, and sad too.
3/20/2006 c1 Skylines and Turnstiles
Hello!

This is brilliant!

Poor, poor Erik, he is so lucky that he has Nadir to help him out.

You have obviously read Susan Kay's Phantom. I bought the book like three months ago from and it finally arrived on monday. (Everything takes ages to get to the country i'm from: South Africa- seriously I'm not lying- I live in the BIG city part though) I have now spent the entire weekend reading it!

Anyway, If you like Erik, come and take a peek at my fanfic(you can find it on my bio)

May the Angel of music be with you!
3/17/2006 c1 dialogician
That's delightfully Leroux!Erik. Also a bit Lady Macbeth, which makes me no end of happy because the two characters have always seemed allied, in the back of my mind.
3/17/2006 c1 1PhantomsHeart
Simply splendiferous, Ghostie! I love the two paragraphs in the middle where Nadir describes Erik, and Erik's comparison of killing to being a god. And this line: "Poor creature. Poor, miserable creature." is up there with my phavorite Leroux lines now. :)
19 Page 1 2 Next »