FanFiction.Net
for Terra of Privit Drive

1/21/2007 c2 6DeathlyPhoenix
thanks for telling me what a mary sue is. funny enough i do think katie is one. oh and you haven't got privet (sp?) messaging abled so when i reply to you i'll have to do a reveiw on this story, it's very good by-the-way
1/21/2007 c10 DeathlyPhoenix
great story, i liked the suit of armor pov, that was funny, update soon
1/21/2007 c1 DeathlyPhoenix
hey! great first chappie, thanks for reviewing mine but what is a mary sue? how old is terra? shouldn't she had gone to hogwarts if she is over 11? anyway, i'll keep reading, great start!
12/16/2006 c9 Journey Beyond
Great new chapter! This story is getting a flow and movement to it! Keep up the great work! I can't wait for the next update to come along!
10/24/2006 c8 2SasuSaku Fan No.1
please update soon

!please update soon

! i say you got the point its soo good!
10/18/2006 c8 5I've Got A Secret
update!
10/16/2006 c8 desartratt
my guess would be that Snape is under an illusion spell and is continuing to teach potions.
10/3/2006 c7 2SasuSaku Fan No.1
cool , awsome , terrific may i go on in other words its great , fantasic update!
10/1/2006 c7 creativexlicense
I came back to re-read this chapter and realized I hadn't reviewed...oops.

Anyway...your writing continues to improve. Drastically. It's almost creepy.

I was slightly disappointed that there was no explanation of the wedding (I mean, a scene devoted to it), but if it has no affect on the plot, it makes sense that you cut it.

I like the part you inserted about Snape. I assume he's going to make an appearance later to make everyone's life miserable?

The three D's...haha. Yay, Harry passed!

So, I'm a little confused. Is Harry going Horcrux hunting, or is he going back to school? I think it might have been mentioned, and I missed it, but it'd be nice to know.

Update!

~Alyce
9/27/2006 c6 I've-Got-a-Jar-of-Dirt
All right, I just read your profile and saw that you're a seventh grader, and I did feel bad...for about 2 seconds. In my opinion, I think it's best you learn this stuff now.

That said, you have a fairly decent writing style, especially for someone your age. However, it's most certainly wasted on this drabble of a fic.
9/27/2006 c7 I've-Got-a-Jar-of-Dirt
Since you've disabled your private messaging feature, this is going to have to go here...

A few web definitions for the Mary-Sue:

"Mary Sue (sometimes shortened simply to Sue) is a pejorative term for a fictional character who is portrayed in an idealized way and lacks noteworthy flaws, or has her flaws unreasonably romanticized. Characters labeled Mary Sues, as well as the stories they appear in, are generally seen as wish-fulfillment fantasies on the part of the author."

And:

"Self-insert is used to describe clear (and usually seen as indisputable) cases where the author has directly inserted a version of themself into the story in lieu of a wholly original character. Though some author surrogates have been thought to "work" in fiction previously, self-inserts as a rule are frequently seen as the most blatant form of Mary Sue, most especially in fan fiction, where self-inserts are generally heavily idealized. Some online fan fiction archives have a ban on any story which involves self-insertion, usually those sites which disallow any fanfiction involving any real person."

And:

"While "Mary Sue" is a subjective term, there are nonetheless many traits commonly associated with the concept of the "Mary Sue". Characters labeled as a "Mary Sue" have what are seen as exaggerated and annoying (and sometimes impossible) levels of superiority, especially in comparison to the other characters, to real people in similar situations, or both.

Characters most commonly labeled "Mary Sues" are often characterized by their unusual and dramatic traits and experiences, their similarity to their author or their author's ideal person and especially their extreme superiority in comparison to other characters.

They often have exceptional physical and personal characteristics. They may have unusual and (typically) tragic backgrounds; in fanfiction, they often may be related by blood or strangely contrived family ties to major or significant canon characters. They may have uncommon eye or hair colors or come from a race or species which is uncommon or unknown in the story’s setting. They may have exotic names, pets, or possessions, often with great perceived mystical or magical significance. As children, they often will have experienced abuse or other hardships that seem out of place and may be unlikely in reality, and may also display little evidence in personality or behavior of having been traumatized by these ordeals. In adulthood, they are often portrayed as misunderstood or unfairly persecuted. They are often abandoned as infants or young children, from a famous or infamous family, or related somehow to the author’s favorite character.

They frequently share hobbies, likes and dislikes, and opinions with the author, and may be of the same nationality or age as the author and have similar but more dramatic physical appearances or backgrounds; other times, they may merely have hobbies or features that the author finds exotic, high-class or somehow admirable.

In fan fiction, they often cause things to happen that the author wishes would happen in canon. They may mock and humiliate characters the author dislikes. On the other hand, if a character is disliked by most canon characters but liked by the author, the "Mary Sue" realizes that they are not really bad but merely misunderstood. "Mary Sues" may bring together characters the author thinks should be romantically involved with one another or become romantically involved with characters to whom the author is attracted.

Characters perceived as "Mary Sues" may have more and better skills than other characters in the story and easily solve problems that stump other characters. Young "Mary Sues" often have skills or accomplishments that are substantially greater than those of other characters their age and of most people their age in the real world. They are usually presented as more moral than other characters and frequently sacrifice their lives or happiness for the sake of other characters. They often have moral ideas or follow norms that are common in the Western world today but unusual for the setting of the story. They are nearly always exceptionally attractive, with said attractiveness often being described in great detail and typically noticed frequently by the other characters.

Characters said to be "Mary Sues" are generally heavily praised by the author and especially other characters. If the character has flaws or limitations, they are either minor and/or endearing, or yet another hardship for the Sue to overcome (e.g. paraplegia, depression, an eating disorder, or a "passionate" temperament).

Because many traits are seen as being common to Mary Sues, many online tests have been created, known as "Mary Sue Litmus Tests". In These "Litmus Tests", matching any Mary Sue trait results in a higher score on the test, and a high enough score is said to be the mark of the "Mary Sue". Most such tests sport a disclaimer that notes that even characters who score extremely high can be executed well enough not to be considered a "Mary Sue", and that the test is primarily meant as a guide for better characterization."

Or you could just go here and read the whole wikipedia definition:

http : / / en . wikipedia . org / wiki / Mary _ Sue # Self - insert

Take out the spaces.

Also, one of the traits that is a biggest Mary-Sue quality in the Harry Potter world is when an OC is thrown into a story with the usual "OMG I'm in Harry Potter! I've read all of the books and therefore know everything that's about to happen! ZOMG!"

And yeah... 'Mary-Sue' is meant as an insult.

I would have just PMed this to you, but you disabled the feature-and I'm most certainly not giving out my personal e-mail address. So deal with it.
9/27/2006 c7 Journey Beyond
Good job on this chapter! Please go to my profile! I have a new e-mail and you can find it there on the e-mail link! I will also email you from it in three or four days so that it is on your computer!

-Journey Beyond
9/25/2006 c1 I've-Got-a-Jar-of-Dirt
Ooh, my Mary-Sue senses are tingling...
9/17/2006 c6 SeirenTheReader
aw no update for long time ! well guess i'm number 6 on reiveiw list. your story is really good!
9/16/2006 c6 Journey Beyond
Great job on adding that insight to Harry's feelings before he fell asleep! This was a great chapter!
19 Page 1 2 Next »