for Black Knight, White Queen

7/19/2020 c1 7kneelinfrontofthequeen
It is a great story! you have absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about. I've enjoyed all the metaphors, and you have skilfully managed to pack a whole life in just so many words.
thanks a lot for writing!
9/10/2013 c1 11ArwenFairTinuviel
Wow, this is such a clever and well-thought-out piece! I love how you drew parallels between chess and the various characters, and how you portrayed their various styles (like Dumbledore willing to sacrifice his pawns - so accurate). It was nice how you built up Minerva's backstory, something I haven't read about before, and though I've never read a Minerva-Severus story I can see how their pairing works well together - they have similar temperaments, despite a significant age difference. My favourite bit, being a Lily-Severus shipper, was "Severus' queen was Lily Evans, as she had ever been, and he himself the queen-side knight." although I also loved the part at the end where there was a stalemate "One castle, three pawns, a white queen and a dark knight, protecting kings whose faces were now impossible to discern." - it perfectly reflects the events going on in the war - Hogwarts, Harry, Ron, Hermione, Minerva, Severus, and no longer Dumbledore and Voldemort. Just perfect. I can't believe how clever this is. I really love it :-)
4/9/2012 c1 Minerva's Daughter232
Deep.
2/25/2011 c1 Liy
Amazing.
1/4/2011 c1 6katiealice49
Wow. That was fantastic. The comparisons to chess were superb. Well done.
9/6/2009 c1 Dormantness
It's an interesting comparison-comparing characters to chess players. Well done:)
2/5/2009 c1 A-zla
I found this over the close contrast community. It's a great story, very moving. Well done!
1/26/2009 c1 2mcgoogles
wow. just wow.

this is incredibly well written, with a good rhythm. i can't even find the right words to describe what was so good about it, but it was amazing.

thank you.
6/21/2008 c1 12Chemistress
Wow! This I had to read twice, very slowly the second time, taking every sentence one by one...But I loved to do so, it is a very unique piece of art to me. I loved the end "On the night...". The part about Minervas brothers is especially hard to understand: did you make one of them a Deatheater?
2/1/2008 c1 bookworm914
This is really great. Your use of the metaphor is, I think, the best I've seen. Fabulous work.
11/2/2007 c1 12excessivelyperky
Magnificent. To someone whose world is chess, it is only natural to think in such terms. It's too bad she didn't have any thoughts about Ron Weasley as a player, though-you would think she would be surprised to have someone so young beat her chess trap for the Stone. I love the ending, especially because after seeing everyone's weakness she's found her own.
10/24/2007 c1 7usiylover2
Amazing. Absolutely amazing. I'm speachless.
9/8/2007 c1 26Ladybug21
Whoa... awesome fic! I mean it! That was really cool, the chess analogy and everything. I loved the way you described Dumbledore as a chess player. Great job!
9/7/2007 c1 pol
Phenomenal. Truly.
9/6/2007 c1 8DailyProphetEditor
Hey, this is quite beautiful. I was a bit worried at first because the chess comparison cliché is used so often but... I was wrong to worry. Very nice idea to use not the game, but the chess set to show how Minerva's life developed. Of course she's the White Queen, and Severus is the Black Knight - but they have lost their kings and the colours mean nothing anymore.

Beautiful idea. I only wish the last paragraph about their last game had been a bit longer, with more detail, you know? But it was heartbreaking. I can so see them sitting together in a stormy night, playing a dead draw for the fist time, somehow close but so far apart from each other.
22 Page 1 2 Next »