for Kim's Back

10/15/2009 c2 5shana elmsford
me like it.

chapter 3 please?
12/9/2007 c2 3KPRS shipper
Uh oh! Sounds to me like a major misunderstanding! This is a really interesting story, but I'm confused. Are Kim and Ron just best friends in this story or are they dating?
12/1/2007 c1 37Jurnee Jakes
I've always had trouble getting the information I've wanted to get across into as few words as possible, and you've done it here. I'm told it's the sign of a very good writer.

I've been meaning to do a dialogue between Ron and Mr. Dr. P in my own 'FanBoy' story, but it appears you beat me to it. This one short story stands to explain a lot about Kim and Ron's relationship as a team. Well done!
11/27/2007 c2 11Molloy
What I really like about this chapter are the gentle touches.

Phrases like “her small, yet strong hands” and “low, and almost gravelly” and the description of Ron’s eyes once Kim gets him to look at her all demonstrate the care the author takes with the details. The events in the story are important, yet he lets these small nuances do a good deal of the story telling.

What’s more, he has the ability to tell things from both sides. Too often, a story will be told primarily from one character’s point of view. Even if the author in such stories gives a glimpse into the other character’s head, it is obvious that s/he is only giving lip service and is really on the main character’s “side.” They give the secondary character a voice, but they don’t give them anything to say.

In this story, despite the fact that most of it takes place in a flashback from Ron’s p-o-v, both Kim and Ron’s thought are given equal weight-they are both main characters. Kim’s belief that she is simply expressing her confidence in Ron is just as valid as Ron’s belief that she is going too far.

Simply put, at this point I don’t know which of the two is correct and which of the two is delusional. However, I have a feeling that they are both, to certain degrees, correct. It is this sense of ambivalence that marks the story as being truly about something rather than simply telling a tale.

So far, there have only been two brief chapters, but it is evident that this is a story that is as much about the telling as it is about what is happening.
11/25/2007 c2 14Pharaoh Rutin Tutin
Oy, has Kim become such an adrenaline junkie that she needs an intervention?

How hard will she push Ron and her family away? How long can he watch her back as she kees moving farther away? Which one will end up seriously hurt? How will Kim and Ron blame themselves and each other?
11/24/2007 c2 7EpIcKiGo
wow tht was really gud espeically the end part where kim asked ron if he thought she couldnt handle it anymore, way to go i cant wait to find out the next chap... update soon
11/10/2007 c1 6Lady Rhetorica
I read both your stories. As one of your other reviewers pointed out, you do nice job of capturing the personality of Ron in particular, not only in his conversation and thoughts, but also with brief descriptions of his physical gestures, such as the closing lines of Ron at Rufus' graveside.

As for this story, I misread the title, as in "Kim was gone, and now she is back again." But my mistake gets at something I like about "Kim's Back," the potential for a serious relational watershed moment. Maybe as your other reviewer said, Kim's just showing her confidence in Ron-though in the cartoon series I'm not so sure that confidence is justified. Or-as Ron suspects, I gather-Kim too often crosses from calculated risk to foolhardiness, and doesn't seem to know the appropriate line. In either case, Ron has grounds for concern.

Nice start.
10/31/2007 c1 1bigherb81
Nice start even though it's kind of short story seems to have some great potential. Really can't wait to see what direction you take it.
10/9/2007 c1 7EpIcKiGo
well i gotta say i liked this story so far i do want to read on so plz update soon
10/8/2007 c1 3Weary-Traveler
You stopped in the middle of a conversation! So far I like your writing style, it's very clear; hope you update soon.
10/8/2007 c1 11Molloy
“There it is, either you love or you don’t.” - Samuel Beckett

This story is sure-handed and seems headed in rich direction.

The action-oriented introduction was deftly described. Nice hook with the first line, BTW. However, it also delivered in terms of the psychology of the characters. Although it is necessarily about Kim falling to earth and be rescued, it is also clear that what is going on internally is equally important. Nice insight on Ron as he races to Kim’s rescue.

In the tree house the characters seem very canon and their dialogue is natural. The Ronnishness of the Nacho discussion was spot on.

My favorite line, however, wasn’t in dialogue but in an intimate (friendship wise) unspoken gesture:

"Kim grabbed his hand as he went to rub the back of his neck and gently squeezed it before placing it back on his knee."

Very, very well done.

And I like the sitch, too. Ron is concerned that Kim is a little too thrill-happy or blasé about her well-being when, in fact, she is only displaying her confidence in him always having her back.

Definitely, looking forward to more.