for Year of Living Dangerously Part II

8/2/2021 c41 LV4EVA
So well done. From the depths of disaster to the high of a 'perfect day' - nothing too fancy - just V's and Logan's friends and family surrounding them in their new home and then the two of them together in their own bed. Happiness is a hard commodity to obtain. It can't be bought - it has to be earned - and these two certainly fought tooth and nail for their little piece of happiness. It's all the fandom ever wanted - a little happiness for these two star-crossed lovers. This is a wonderful piece of work. I am so happy to have finally read this masterpiece. I can't believe that this was written between 2008-2009 (god - that's 12 YEARS ago!), but it still is so pertinent to today! I'm looking forward to reading the YLD 3 that I saw on AO3. I will be CHOMPING at the bit for updates. I usually prefer to read complete fics - but I can't stay away! YLD 3 - here I come!
8/1/2021 c41 FFS
I just wanted to pass along a huge kudos for the entire story. I’m about to jump into Part III and I’m hoping it’s the trial, but even if not I know you’ll take the story somewhere interesting. It must have taken some serious outlining to wrap up every detail like that by that final epilogue. Really great job – the story was really captivating and the characters felt really authentic to the TV series.

One thing I wanted to call out specifically was that shoulder doctor scene after the kidnapping. My first gut instinct was that the doc was a Peter Klein lackey who was sent to mess with her and cause her mental instability and I guess technically if we come back to the trail in Part III, that might get revealed, however I have another reason I want it to be a random doctor exchange. Something about this scene really struck me when I read it and made me think about our healthcare system and in general the uphill battle that women often fight with male doctors that don’t believe symptoms or don’t pay attention to their patients. It’s very clear throughout the scene that Veronica is distressed and his words are so cold and one-track that it really reminded me of an unobservant typical male doctor. To this day, I get stressed when I need to go in for a doctor’s appointment in which I need to request a specific test that may not be from an obvious symptom. I often find myself trying to mentally come up with the argument in my head for why they should take me seriously and it causes me a lot of stress before I ever enter the office. It really made me think even more about the long term effects of that school’s therapy on those girls and how even future doctor’s rhetoric would be unnerving for them. A part of me hopes that this guy wasn’t related to Peter Klein at all, because there was something so authentic about that exchange and so believable that a doctor wouldn’t bother to review her chart enough or be bothered to change his approach with a patient that was victimized and in clear distress. But even if you do take it the other way, I trust you. It would still be an excellent setup and payoff either way!

However, there was one scene from Part II that I wasn’t sure worked for me. When Veronica is struggling with her shoulder and feeling like it won’t ever heal, Logan has that sex scene where he talks about tying her up. While I understand he is trying to get her to picture herself strong and capable again, I kept thinking there’s no way these two would ever be ok with him restraining her after he had to tie those restraints on her in that school. I could maybe see them trying to reverse it, with her tying him to gain back some control, but I just have a hard time picturing Logan being ok or even fantasying about it. I just wanted to mention that the scene stuck for me a little at that juncture. But honestly, as I mentioned above, I really really liked the story overall! Really great job!
8/1/2021 c33 LV4EVA
Wow! I love all the 411 on the scenes we didn't and did get to see! Hindsight is 20/20 - so glad we got 'the look' instead of more of douchebag Leo being all 'cute' and 'shy' (my foot!) with Veronica. Keith is a genius. He's pretty crafty - you can see where V gets her smarts from. I have to say that this story is genius - a travel back in time to all the plot twists and 'bad' judgement calls and transgressions that bring us to where we left off with V and Logan on the outs, Keith fired from his job, V with Piz (yuck!), and the rest of the crew where they landed. Isn't it funny - at one point Logan is so happy to hear V tell him she loves him and that she needs him - but he just wants his strong, silent girl back! A classic; 'careful what you wish for, you just might get it'!
7/31/2021 c30 LV4EVA
Ahh, good old Griffith. Hope he gets a nice long stay in a cell for what he did to his daughter, for being a drug addict, and for killing Kendall. Gory! What a douchebag. Can't say I'm too sad about Norman Phipps demise; and Carrie - well, she's a bit too eager for my taste. But, she's not dead. Bet she holds a grudge against V. Leo is being a complete asshole. I feel bad that V is still hearing Kline in her head all the time.
7/31/2021 c29 LV4EVA
Lovin' all the cool 70's slang and talk...brings back such good memories! When I teach the 'youngins', I have to listen to their new 'slang' - I love to ask them what it all means - and being that they are on the young side - they love to tell me! Douchebag is a great 70's slang - it fits so many characters in the VM world - Duncan, Piz, Leo, Madison.
7/30/2021 c26 LV4EVA
You tell them nitpickers! She was raped and roofied - not once, but twice. It is conceivable that when in a delirious state like she was and under great distress, she may be able to trigger a memory. If Beaver did return her underwear; then that leaves douchebag Duncan as the ripper offer of underwear and leaving them on the floor. What an asshole he is. I'm not a fan, if you can tell! This chapter was very intense. Veronica really was sick and needed help. It will be documented by the hospital; so there's more proof. I hope she is going to be alright. Logan as well. What a mess they are right now! More sadness for them...star-crossed for sure!
7/29/2021 c22 LV4EVA
Man, the psychological turmoil that Logan is in is intense. You are so clever to take the prison scene from VM and use it to show how Logan's life has made him so open to emotional and mental damage. I feel for him so much. It is so easy to just gloss over all the problems that Logan has had in his life. I am really glad that Dr. Kinny is here to watch over Logan. He knows that Logan's background would make him very prone to buckling under this kind of arrangement. I hope this doesn't damage him any further. He seems so emotionally and mentally fragile in this fic.
7/28/2021 c14 LV4EVA
Well, well, well; Leo is a dirty cop? Yeah, since July 19, 2019 - that has been crystal clear! You were so good at digging up the dirt on this dirtbag! Congrats - you wrote this when? 2008-2009? Wow! You can predict the future - or you are such a better detective than RAT! Well, I won't insult you - YOU ARE a much better detective, writer, and have a better sense of what WE THE FANS wanted all the way back then! Leo the douche is THE WORST. He was what? 25 dating a 17 year old? That's not sketchy. I hate him, I hate RAT, and I hate to say I hate KB as well. I love LoVe though, so there's that! Such a good fic.
7/28/2021 c13 LV4EVA
Love your story so much. I am enjoying all the added information - the updates, the characters that play them, the A/N notes at the end of each chapter. At first I didn't think I would like all the 'extra' reading - but now I consume it all and just really am enjoying the whole process. I laugh at all your jokes as well. Still loving that you used Jason as 'the double'! So fitting!
7/28/2021 c11 LV4EVA
Ok, so you using Jason Dohring as Logan's double was GENIUS! I was smiling for the longest time after reading that! Why I never read this series is beyond me - it's so good. I am sad for Logan; his life has finally caught up with him. There is just so much optimism a person can have. I agree with him in the sense that the women in his life seem tainted to die. If I were Logan, I would feel the same way. I'm very nervous for V; these two mysteries - the school for Hell and the serial killer - they are tough and scary. Your work is wonderful.
5/11/2021 c40 21irma66
I just read both parts 1 and 2 over the last 3 days, ignoring most of my real life obligations and then went back to the comments and discovered that’s what I did the last time too, in 2014! Great stories.

One difference between 2014 and 2021 though — as per my YOLD1 comment — back then, I didn’t want Leo to be a bad guy. Now, I expect him to be. You were apparently aware of the issues with all the tapes getting stolen long before I was willing to see it.
2/13/2018 c41 6Grnigirl
What an amazing, complex, emotional story! Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful work with us!
1/26/2018 c41 CubbieGirl1723
I feel a bit silly reviewing a story that's almost a decade old but I wanted to thank you for writing it and sharing it. I can't imagine what an undertaking it must have been! I think you should probably add to your disclaimer something about how readers should be prepared to give up a week of their lives because they won't want to do anything besides read this story and it will consume them...at least that was my experience.
I'm going to be honest, I generally prefer fluffy LoVe stories. So this one is perhaps not my "go to" type of read but I think it was very true to the characters. I liked that you had them deal with things and grow and actually work on their relationship. Plus the plot! Seriously. You are an impressive writer!
I just have two things I'm still wondering about. Logan shaving Veronica's legs: please please please write a one-shot of that. Now that it's in my head I can't stop thinking about it. And I'm also desperate to find out where Veronica gets her body wash ;)
Thanks again for writing and sharing.
11/19/2017 c41 MW
I am in awe of the skill with which this story's plot was planned. Very intricate. Even professional writers can struggle with stories that have that many plot strands: even getting the timing right of the different pieces of action is massively difficult.

If you like Veronica Mars for the mysteries and the gumshoe stuff, and for the class war themes, you'll love this story. Really love it. It works as well as a season of the TV show: one overall crime to solve which takes to the end, with a shedload of other crimes and mysteries and problems along the way. Some of them turn out to relate to the main crime and some to other intricate plots, much as in the TV show.

I didn't think the characters' voices were quite as sharp and personalised as in TYoLD part 1, though they weren't ever 'off', just a little more generic than in the first story.

I got bored of sex scenes after about the second, but they were easy to skim. I could have done with less of the repetitive angsty inner monologues of Logan and Veronica. But hey, I know there are people who love that stuff, and it certainly didn't spoil the story for me.

9/10.
10/22/2017 c1 ForgeK
This was so good! I’ve had to remember be myself throughout that this is NOT a season I forgot to watch
344 Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »