for What about Gary Stu?

2/7/2019 c1 Michael dallas
There are plenty of canon Gary Stus.
11/20/2016 c1 2Neurotic Horcrux
LoL
You forgot about Lord Hadrian Potter-Black, who was basically composed of the worse parts of his 15-year-old canon angsty self after losing Sirius except he got an illegal blood test and unlocked some vaults and some weird magicks, then he discovered that the Weasleys are gold-diggers and that Dumbledore is holding him back 'for the greater good'
4/12/2014 c2 14LunaNotLoony
LOLs
7/21/2013 c1 Rowena Sl
So true... So true.
Good job!
4/20/2013 c1 6guccipherous
This was very funny. I had a horrible dat today, and when I saw this, my life was a bit brighter. Thank you for making me happy, and maybe you won't care about this, and maybe you will, but thank you.
12/18/2012 c1 4ladysalmon
A quick correction:
It's not 'horocruxes', it's 'horcruxes'.
Great work, anyways.
8/4/2011 c2 15DZAuthor AKA DZMom
Damn, I always thought the American Revolution was a big joke. There really were ships that brought pilgrims from the Old Country? LOL (you may laugh at my pathetic sense of humor now.)

I found this when I read your Gary Stu description of International Police. I'll get to reading that one soon, unless the Stuness drives me insane and I fling my iPhone into wetlands to be done with it.
8/4/2011 c1 DZAuthor AKA DZMom
interesting characterization ... I myself don't grasp what makes Mary/Gary Stu but I am well aware of shallow characters who aren't given motivation or who simply chatter away without revealing depth in either descriptive narrative or introspection. I appreciate what you've said about Sues/Stus being not necessarily bad in stories. Sometimes they are delightful to read, if the definition you provided is the basis of Studom.

I've pondered the attraction by female romance readers to stereotypical men and I've tried to sort it out. In the HP world I decided to write a HGSS fic and was astonished to find that the Snape appeal could be found in Pride and Prejudice ... the same romantic hero. I've tried to figure out Draco and I think many fanfic writers identify him with Lucius. As for Lucius, I've pinned him as James Bond.

I found the concepts in socionics and the intertype personality pairings called "duals" to shed light on female romantic pairings with a dominant, coercive male love interest. If you want more info look into socionics dot com. So if there is a gregarious social butterfly female, she would be find a perfect pairing with Mr. Darcy or Severus Snape (or Filch). The highly social and tactile female is balanced by the logical, systematic, deep thinking male. We don't get to see this male-female reversal much in romances ... probably because female systems engineers don't write romances.

For the Draco romance, he's being misread as Lucius. First, the appeal comes from mature male actor playing the role ... there is a Hollywood bias toward older guys, IMHO, not that I disagree being in my 40s myself and finding the appeal of that age attractive LOL ... sorry if it's TMI. Back to the male dominating type: another concept I've picked up from socionics has to do with groupings of personalities into Romantic styles. One type is known as Aggressor or Conqueror or something similar. The dual pairings of these types are found in a grouping called Victims. What these pairings have in common is a personality which has a strong will (Lucius/Draco) paired with a person who is imaginative or dreamy or who lives inside their fantasy world and lacks willpower (Victim/Hermione/Luna).

The opposite pairing would be a Caregiver plus an Infantile. The caregiver has a strong sense of body/sensation/physical comfort while the infantile lacks that, in favor of a powerful intuitive sense of time (sorry to be vague ... the typical mad scientist or a Byronic romantic hero is Infantile). I see Molly Weasley as the caregiver and Arthur as her perfect infantile match, for instance.
7/18/2011 c2 1oana07
Dude, you are like my new favorite person right now. I loved this Guide and laughed so much reading this. Thank you for that.
12/1/2009 c2 90RebeccaRoy
You killed me, you really did! This was too funny!
12/1/2009 c1 RebeccaRoy
Awesome, but we all know that if one writes a story where someone is more powerful than Chuck Norris he round house kicks them through the internet!
10/8/2009 c1 Botherer 1337
I loved how you addressed Gary Sues. Those are hardly ever mentioned. Great guide.
9/22/2009 c2 23Odekake
Hey, I liked that you brought up Gary Stus because they can be as much of a problem as Mary Sues. The problem with the Harry Potter world and Gary Stus, however, isn't so much Gary Stus who are OCs, but Harry Potter made into a Gary Stu. We all have to admit it, Harry already has a lot going on for him that gives him a few Gary Stuish traits.

He's the "Chosen One" who did something no one else did as a baby.

His aunt, uncle, and cousin were cruel to him and he had to live under a cupboard.

He flies a broomstick with ease despite never having written one before, and is a natural seeker who gets on the team after doing something he wasn't supposed to and has one of the strictest teachers in the story bend the "no first-years on the Quidditch team" rule.

He is overly brave and stupid, doing things no eleven/twelve/fourteen year-old should have to ever do, Gryffindor or not.

He has a "I-have-to-save-the-world" complex.

Now, I've seen fiction writers push Harry to the extreme. It is not implied in the books that his aunt and uncle were physically abusive to him. In Gary Stu Harry fanfics, Harry is horribly abused by his family, he is capable of extremely strong magic that he was NOT shown to be capable of in canon, he is extremely smart (much smarter than he is shown to be in canon), he hates Ron and the Weasleys, he falls in love with Hermione, he becomes an ally of Draco, he hates Dumbledore and knows that he's manipulative, etc. In these stories, at times Dumbledore and the Weasleys have their personalities distorted so badly they don't even seem like themselves. It's ridiculous, and I can't stand it.

I agree with you on Draco as well. I don't get why all the fangirls love him. His actor and the character of Draco Malfoy are NOT synonymous. Malfoy the character is a prejudiced prick who, admittedly, may not have been so if he weren't born to the Malfoys. But he was and he's a prick in the stories who, while he realized he didn't want to be a Death Eater, doesn't really have any redeeming qualities.
9/15/2009 c2 34Shuna
Ah, I loved it. You are right, many forget Gary because there is so many more of the Mary Sue's. But never the less, it was a good parody.
4/27/2009 c2 VideoKid
I loled at how a nuke went off in the modern UK and one one noticed.
22 Page 1 2 Next »