for Artemis Fowl: The Book of Ages

5/30/2011 c23 27Sgt. Sporky
Hey! Minerva is not a Sue! But only when she's written well, as Colfer does. If she gets a bad author, the might turn her into one though. And this coming from a guy who doesn't have a crush on Artemis, so suck it.
5/27/2011 c9 Sgt. Sporky
You're completely correct. It's called 'paradoxical undressing' where the victim begins taking off clothes because they feel too warm. Thus the hypothermia is sort of self-perpetuating. Very interesting. It's why hypothermia victims are often mistaken for sexual assault victims. And that is how you treat it. Forget your damn pride, you don't have the time for it!
5/18/2011 c24 Psyentific
Artemis! You can't do that! You've created a time paradox!
5/17/2011 c16 Psyentific
60k at 16? Averaging 3.75k a chapter, and now past my "Serious Fic" cutoff. I'm enjoying this.
5/17/2011 c12 Psyentific
This is...really good.
5/16/2011 c45 teajello
Dear GMontag,

I have just finished reading The Book of Ages and I thought I would take this time to review and comment on your story. Likely, you have begun to accumulate praise for this work and I must say, this praise does not go unwarranted. Let me say that I thoroughly enjoyed your story and it is by far the best Artemis Fowl fanfiction I have read up to this date.

Plot: 10/10

The plot in general was terrific. I use the term lightly because of a few reasons. I will not begin to list timeline theories and such because that is not the purpose of a fanfiction. The purpose of your fanfiction is to entertain and therefore any timeline or plot discrepancies should be promptly ignored. Your plot is terrific for several reasons. The first goes to originality. Your idea for plot was novel and completely original. I must say that up to this date I have not seen such an original and well though-out AF fanfic. The settings were picturesque but believable and interesting. The development of the relationships between the characters were seamless and realistically portrayed. The plot was very intricate but well-constructed and it was very easy to tell that you knew where you were going to end as soon as you began. This helped spur your work into a terrific start and it helped end your work with a 'bang' so to speak. The settings were amazing and fantastic, once again, another item that really helped the plot along. It was entirely Colfer but also entirely new.

Characters: 8/10

Your characters were very much to my liking. In fact, I loved your characters. They were probably my favorite thing about your fanfic. The reason however, that I felt your characters were slightly lacking lay in their relationship to the actual novel. The Artemis you used was very cold and calculating at times. This was stark in contrast to the occasional warmth he would give out to Holly. This may have been your intent but it was more flashy than functional and definitely not Colfer style. This Artemis seemed to be the Artemis from the first or maybe second book in the series but supposedly this occurs after The Time Paradox. Not to say this was bad. In fact, the Artemis that I appreciated the most was exactly the one from the first book. This, however, does not meet with Colfer standards after The Time Paradox. The relationship between Holly and Artemis, however, was brilliantly executed. I applaud you entirely. Your fanfic is often compared to AgiVega's fics and so I will go out on a limb and do this. Your fanfic is much more realistic in your portrayal of the relationship between Artemis and Holly in the way Colfer would have presented it. It was firstly, gradual. Colfer would never rush things and put in spontaneous moments of lovey-dovey that seemed out of place or excessive. You did have those moments but they were seamlessly integrated into the plot. AgiVega used too much stream-of-consciousness stylized writing and therefore strongly deviated from Colfer's own style. The portrayal of their relationship, was in turn, practically perfect. Other problems I did have with the characters, however, were your portrayals of the minor characters and the development of the major ones. Holly and Artemis remained relatively static throughout whereas Colfer's novels focused on plot followed closely by character development. Relationship development and character development were two different departments and although you nailed one, the other one was more hit and miss. Mulch and the Butlers were not seen in the fic which is actually something I did not have a problem with. Your portrayal of Butler and his relationship with Artemis was also off in the beginning which set me off to a bad start in terms of characters. You changed Trouble's personality quite a bit though it was inferred that the change occurred as a direct result of his promotion into commander so in reality I have no problems with this. The only thing that bothered me in his character was the same thing that bothered me with many other minor characters. Many of them had very flat personalities that I feel like could have been easily improved upon with a better choice of dialogue and reactions.

Writing: 9/10

Your writing is very advanced in the way that Colfer would write. This meant that although your language is fairly regular, it was only to keep in time with Colfer. The novel, after all, was not written for the sake of literary merit but for the sake of entertainment. The dialogue was just okay, as I have stated above, but the narration and figurative language was very prevalent and incredibly appealing. There are a few typos here and there but that would be the only problem I have with this fic. Overall, it was obvious you put alot of work into the writing and it definitely showed in the production.

Overall: 10/10

Wait... The average of 8, 9, and 10 is 9 right? Don't worry, you're correct on that note. You do get a 10 though. In reality, most of the problems in the fic stemmed from the characters. The plot did much more than enough to make up for it so that the issues I had with the characters all became minor or insignificant. In reality, I did not expect this fic to top AgiVega's Sword of God, which I ultimately enjoyed more than its prequel. (Though the community may disagree.) The good points of each category really worked together to help fill up the holes that you would otherwise have had in the fanfiction. The amazingly Colfer-like narration kept some of the lesser dialogue from becoming too obvious. In addition, to be completely frank, from the perception of your regular everyday fanfic reader, the problems with the dialogue were all so minor that they were practically unnoticeable. Your fanfiction definitely deserves a 10/10 for the amazing everything. Your ideas were perfect and your execution was pretty much flawless. It was entirely an amazing read.

*Reviewer's Note: From a standpoint of an avid AF fan and a regular reader of AF fanfics, this one stands out indefinitely above the rest as the best one I've read thus far. Kudos! I wouldn't say this in most reviews but I would love to see a sequel. I understand that this story has ended so I will not press you for it but reading your fanfic was thoroughly enjoyable and I'd love to see more of your work.

Best Regards,

TeaJello
5/1/2011 c45 5Struthious
Thank you. Thank you so much for writing this. It's stunning.
4/27/2011 c45 LittleJames
Words cannot describe how much I love this story. It's without a doubt the best thing I've read on here in ages.

Everything was perfect, and I loved how much you mimicked the style and awesomeness of the books. This could easily be an Artemis Fowl novel, albeit a short one :D Keep writing, keep reading, and keep on working.

Took me the better part of two days to work through this thing, but the length is justified by the epicness of the ending. Plus everyone's favorite couple got together, which made me happy to say the least. (okay, I admit to some whooping and dancing around whe the thing ended. That's how great the romance was. Very well executed)

Keep it up nand thanks for staying with this story for so long,

iSailTheSeas

PS: Will we ever get a chance to see that audiobook, if it was ever finished? I'd love to hear it.
4/23/2011 c45 smashbrawlguy
I don't think there are words that can adequately summarize how awesome this story is. So I'll just say my mind has been blown and leave it at that.
4/19/2011 c45 Adam Wilson
Absolutely amazing story :D Those tricky paradoxes!
4/12/2011 c45 2Claw
Wow. I sat down and read through the entire series (with a break here or there), and I really applaud your attention to detail in the plot (time travel must be so difficult to write) and truly superb dialog.
3/31/2011 c1 JT
Amazing story !ļ¼©absolutle love how you protray the characters, especially Artemis and Holly ! Is there an audi file of this story ?
3/24/2011 c45 34Bellephont17
! Okay, firstly - I want to berate you for having such a FRIGGIN AWESOME PLOT that you literally stopped me from doing school today so I could read it! LOL Secondly, I want to commend you for your amazing abilities to actually make me gasp, hop up and down in my seat, squeal, laugh, cry out in alarm, stare bug-eyed at the screen, and afterwards stumble around like a zombie!

Literally, this has got to be the alltime best fanfic I have ever read - certainly the longest and the most well-thought-out. It's amazing - your plot is just as complex and taut as Colfer's! I felt as though I was reading a real book. It gripped me and I couldn't get away. The best part was - (or one of the many many best parts) - you stayed in character the WHOLE TIME! There wasn't one wince, one blush, one shake of the head when anyone was talking or doing anything - it was all totally true to the books! :D :D

Ooh, you made Foaly and Julius so cute and heroic together while Haven was being attacked! I LOVE your portrayal of Foaly - I was so upset that he didn't get to go to Limbo with them, but it really kind of showed where his heart lay - not with quantum physics and high magic/technology after all - he just wanted to be with his family during the end.

Honestly, this was so good, I am going to have trouble ever reading the fifth book again without thinking of your plot lol AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING!
3/21/2011 c12 Bellephont17
Are all these reviews considered spam? If so - I shall stop. But I feel the compelling urge to tell you, GMontag, that you are a genius. ;P
3/21/2011 c9 Bellephont17
awww . . . this is sooooo great. Just . . . great. :)
1,286 « Prev Page 1 .. 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 .. Last Next »