FanFiction.Net
for The Love Judge

1/18/2010 c4 Purplewing
That was really good but make the chapters a little shorter. Hope you update soon!
1/13/2010 c4 andy
So good please continue. It's very funny too. Just watch your spelling and sorry I don't know anything about court.
1/10/2010 c4 5ImBusyPlanningGlobalDomination
I beileve it goes

plaintiff

defender

plaintiff
1/10/2010 c4 2if i were a demigod
wel... in court... well there's all different kinds of courts... so idk what kind this story would fall under... well let's just say it's criminal court, and it's a criminal trial... k well here's what happens:

The jury is selected. This is rather important, because either the lawyers or the trial judge will question the potential jurors to make sure they will be fair in the case. Then they have to go through the process of removing a potential juror, either for cause or peremptory challenge. (I really wouldn't put this in your story though.. it would be rather boring.) BUT INCLUDE THIS ITS IMPORTANT: once the jury is SWORN IN then the trial can begin.

Opening Statements are next. The prosecution's opening statement takes place after the jury has been sworn in. First, the opening statement gives an opportunity to explain the nature of the charge for which the defendant is on trial. The charge may be easily understood by the jury, or not much so. Second, it explains the evidence that will be produced in an attempt to prove the defendant's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Last but not least, opening statements are also exercises in persuasion. The opening and closing statements are the only opportunities the lawyer have to speak directly to the jury, and trial lawyers recognize the lasting impression that a clear, forceful, and logical opening statement can make on the jury.

After the prosecution is done, the the defense gives it's opening statement. They can chose to do it right after the prosecution, or they can wait until the prosecution has finished presenting its case and the defense is about to begin its own case.

After that, they call witnesses. Both the prosecutor and the defendant have the power to subpoena witnesses who have relevant testimony to offer at trial. This subpoena power is necessary because many witnesses would prefer not to testify at trial, especially if there is likely to be a rigorous cross-examination.

Before any witnesses are called to the stand, it is frequently moved by either the prosecution or the defense that all witnesses be sequestered, which means that all witnesses who will be called at the trial are ordered to remain outside the courtroom until it is time for a particular witness to take the stand. This helps so the witnesses won't lie and stuff like that if they hear a testimony that contradicts theirs.

Then they examine the witnesses! K this is probably the most important part, so here we go:

The prosecution presents its direct case, aimed at proving that the defendant committed the crime in question. When the prosecution has finished with the presentation of its case against the defendant, the defendant has an opportunity to call witnesses and put on a defense. If the defendant chooses to put on a defense, the prosecution is then permitted to call additional witnesses to rebut the defense witnesses.

Each witness called to testify is questioned first by the side that called the witness. This is known as the direct examination of the witness. When the direct examination is over, the lawyer for the opposing side is permitted to question the witness in what is called cross-examination. After cross-examination is completed, the side that originally called the witness may question him in what is called redirect examination. This is usually limited to explaining or developing matters that were raised during the cross-examination. In some instances, if new matter has come out in redirect examination, a judge has permission to permit recross-examination.

The main difference between direct examination and cross-examination is the manner of questioning. In CE (cross-examination) an attorney is permitted to ask LEADING QUESTIONS, which suggest the desired answer and usually call for a yes or no response. But in direct examination the questions should NOT be leading.

Now let me remind you, that's ONE witness. Those steps of examination repeat for EVERY WITNESS. So do as many as you want or need.

After that, the attorneys give their closing statements, which are kind of like opening statements, except they can use what they learned in court and add it to their opening. It kind of sums up what side they're on, in one last attempt to persuade the jury that the defendant is guilty/not guilty.

After hearing the closing statements, the jury leaves the room and decides. You can either have it where the whole jury has to agree, or where more than half have to agree.. I'm not sure which one is right, but hey, this is a story! (I think in most criminal cases though, the whole jury has to agree.. I THINK! It happened in To Kill a Mockingbird! (: )

Once the jury comes back, they deliver the verdict. Either the jury delivers it, or they give it to the judge... I forget. In your story though, I would have the judge read it cuz they don't really do anything. All they really do is keep "order in the court" and make sure both sides are playing by the rules...

LAST OF ALL, if they find the defendant guilty, they give them CONSEQUENCES. like jail and stuff. If they find the defendant not guilty, then the court is kinda dismissed and final that the defendant didn't do it.

OVERVIEW:

6. Examining the witnesses

7. Closing Statements

8. Jury decides on the verdict

9. Consequences and stuff

WOW that is long... well alright I used this site:

http:/law./pages/2206/Trial-Criminal-steps-in-criminal-trial.html

If you wanna learn more.

I hope I helped! (:

PS: most defendant closing statements are very moving (:
1/10/2010 c4 9Chuck Norris Worshipper
ha, percy is a lot like his dad. :3 great story, update soon! sorry, i have no idea how court works. XD
1/10/2010 c4 15lulu halulu
I'm sorry but I don't actually know how court works. I just wanted to wish you luck in trying to figure it out and that I hope you update REALLY soon! Please!
1/9/2010 c3 1HayleymarieBD
you just HAD to stop RIGHT THERE?
1/6/2010 c3 Isabella
Wow. This is a really good story! ... Not to say that I'm surprised! It's just that I haven't really come across a REALLY good story in a while and this one ... I like it! =)

I know it's been a while since you've last updated, but may you PLEASE consider continuing this story soon? That would just make my day. =D

Good job, and keep up the great work!
12/19/2009 c1 Redtutel
This story is so cool! plz pretty plz Update!
12/15/2009 c3 12BriarRose10001
col!
12/7/2009 c3 3Theta23
plz update!
11/29/2009 c3 she wants to move
O M GE! this plotline totally deserves an emmy award! Just imagine percy and annabeth attend it the session and the two parents win and percy and annabeth share the swetest kiss,ehich changes their minds? sry, high on sugar.

can't freakin' wait!
11/26/2009 c3 15lulu halulu
This story is SO awesome! PLEASE UPDATE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!
8/23/2009 c3 Miasaki
AHAHAHA! that was awesome! I don't think tha Poseiden would be too offended by Percabeth... OOC. but still, hilarious much!

and Zeus? GIMME THAT CAMERA. i could watch that clip for hours.
7/23/2009 c3 S.A9
i rly liked it's kinda funny
118 « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 .. Last Next »