for Solitudes

5/30/2009 c1 54Cerridwen7777
So were you shocked by Ruby's betrayal in LR? Or did you see it coming? I never trusted her, personally, but that probably had more to do with the fact that she was always so nasty to my Dean. :)

"He’s blinded by the brightness, deafened by the screams of the damned, nauseated by the smell, of burning flesh and hair and bones, the air slick and heavy with vaporized flesh and fat. Sometimes it had been his."

Wonderfully evocative!

"She looks at him, knowingly. “Does it make you think of home, Dean?” she says. “The smoke, the fumes? You know I wonder why I didn’t think of doing this when I was DemonBuffy. Everyone needs those little reminders of where they came from.”"

The bitch.

"“You think he’s a Seal!” he says, with a note of childlike shock that she finds… endearing"

Good call!

"She cuts him off again. “Don’t forget, Dean, I was there when Anna relayed their little text message. I saw your face. You didn’t hand her over to save your brother. You handed her over to save yourself. And if it comes down to you or him again, I think you’ll serve his head up on a plate with fries and a soda so you don’t have to go back.”"

Yikes...I'll have to disagree with you there...I hope...
4/30/2009 c1 13Tisha Wyman
I imagine Dean probably could do it if it was the only way and it would save the world. Yet, I think he would prefer to risk himself rather then Sam. Then, again, he knows that it's not his Sammy anymore. Sheesh! I don't know anymore but I still think it will come down to a battle between them.
4/2/2009 c1 Tuya's Moon
Very, very good. You actually stunned me (in a good way). I'm speechless. Keep it up!
2/12/2009 c1 55historylover
Good one.

I'm one who's intrigued by Ruby. I like Katie Cassidy's portrayal of her better, though.

I'm more intrigued by Ruby if she's in it for her own agenda-if she's bad-than if she's in love with Sam, though. That I can't stand. She's been in Hell for at least 37,0 years, if you use the 1 month = 10 years math. For Dean to have broken and not princess sunshine (Ruby) is absurd. And just doing it because she's in love with Sammy.

She'd better have an agenda. If only just because I like ambiguous characters better than good.

Kat
2/4/2009 c1 12suz mc
Dang...I truly love the "tastes like home" busines with the cigarettes. And what will Dean be able to do? If Sam went bad with no hope of redemption, could Dean kill him because, technically, he'd be gone already.

Loved the way your mind went round and round all this, sugar. Good job!
1/28/2009 c1 7capjack54
Creepy and lovely. Sam as a Seal... I've heard it posed before, but this is the first time I bought it. Ruby and Dean have the weirdest relationship, especially since Hell. Amazing job.
1/20/2009 c1 m2beeS
That...was different. I like how Dean and Ruby came together. So Dean's been hardened enough to do the one thing he swore he could never do. I like that theory.
1/13/2009 c1 16amyblair
You wench. There it is in black and white. And shades of gray.

Way to go. Beat me to it.

Love this.

I love that Ruby smokes because the comagirl smoked and the body craves it. I love how you refer to Cas and Uriel's possession as foreclosure. I always see Uriel as a bad-ass FBI man or something, by the way.

I love Ruby's line of "I don't want Hell on earth, Dean" and then her explanation of "thieves like us." I do think Ruby has her own agenda still. I don't trust her. I think the writers have been pulling us to the trust side with her, but I'm not buying.

Totally, this is great. I'm looking forward to more from you.

~Blair
1/5/2009 c1 6pickamix
Very interesting... I liked it. I also like the idea of Ruby as a character... and you wrote her well... I also have a fic with Ruby in it... I didn't do that good... she's not easy to write for... so job well done.
1/5/2009 c1 38roqueclasique
oh wow. this was so perceptive and spot-on, this dialogue. i completely agree that i don't like the people who play ruby, but she's a terribly interesting character. and huge props for quoting "rhiannon" of course. and smoking!dean! *dies a little*

the most interesting part for me was ruby's thought that sam would create a better hell-on-earth than lilith, and that's why she's behind him. *shivers*
1/3/2009 c1 8chb76
Ah very interesting, you have some cool ideas and theories about the big plan. I agree with your take on Ruby, she isn't good but she's not in on any big secretive master plan either, she just wants to save herself from going back downstairs. Not sure what I think about your take on Dean though. I fear you may be right but I just don't want to think about the fact that Dean could ever kill his brother. Also not sure Dean sold Anna out for himself - he did after all tell Uriel to send him back. You should go on the forums - they're always discussing stuff like this - this fic could stir up a whole load of debating and theorising - nice job.
1/2/2009 c1 14youthere
I really liked this battered, fundamentally altered, matter-of-factly damaged Dean. Ever since the show revealed that he'd been in hell 40 yrs, I've been sitting back, looking at his only slightly traumatized 4th season character, and thinking "yeah, right!" No matter how strong he is, that's gotta change a person more than the show's willing to do.

I loved you bringing up the question of whether he'd rather sell out Sam or go back to Hell.

I also really liked the cynicism of the whole conversation, the idea of the angels having their own agenda. It makes them just another set of authority figures and not the representatives of the ultimate truth. "Thieves like us..." I felt put Dean and Ruby squarely in the role of the outsiders in the whole Good vs. Evil fight. Not crusaders for a cause but just the used and abused trying to survive.

I absolutely agree with you about Ruby (and I love the Sam/Ruby development!). You wrote her really well and I actually think that the motive you gave her is much more convincing than the "I'm still in touch with my inner human"-bit.

All in all, a really good, muddled, cynical, damaged, shades-of-gray little moment.

And sorry for the waxing poetic... I think I may need to go get some sleep :)
1/2/2009 c1 51Zubeneschamali
Very nice story. I'm partial to Ruby myself, at least the S4 version, and it does seem like she and Dean would have a lot to bond over now that he doesn't hate her guts. You raise some interesting points that I've thought about, too, including why Dean was left downstairs for so long, and I think your Ruby is right about why. I also love love love "The Waste Land", and it definitely fits here.
1/2/2009 c1 22Psychee
What interesting and possibly insightful dialog. What would Dean do to keep from going back?