for Motivation

1/1 c13 closedcaptioning
I LOVE THIS SO MUCH!
Sorry, I know you haven't updated this in several years, but I just read this in one sitting and I had to leave a review on the off chance you'd read this. This fic is gold. I'd never even thought of this pairing before reading this, but now that I have, it's completely believable and wonderful (thanks for dragging me into rarepair hell haha)

I absolutely love your characterization of Matt and Light! Matt's character arc is done really really well - I really admire authors who can pull off character development naturally and make all their characters three-dimensional - and you do that and more. Light's pre-Death Note persona is super accurate as well - his boredom, his characterization of the world as "dirty," even his focus on hygiene haha - they're all done superbly :)

The plot is great too! I'm really looking forward to seeing whether Matt will ever be able to go back to Wammy's/become the next L, and what plans L has in store... and what Mello's reaction would be to Matt's disappearance and new friend ;) I know you might not continue this fic, but I just wanted to let you know that even the bit I had of it was great. Please take your time, and take care of yourself! I'll just imagine continuations to this in the meantime 3 Thank you so much for writing!
8/10/2020 c13 spadezzz
it hurts to see such good stories like these haven’t been updated in years. i hope you one day find the inspiration to update again!
9/15/2019 c13 FanQ
You have amazing writing talent! I could not stop reading the whole story in one go! :)
8/6/2019 c13 merody94
Please please update soon! 。 ‿ 。
3/22/2019 c13 HippiestHop
I'm not entirely sure how a Death Note fanfiction ended up as my all time favorite, but here we are. I've read this so many times. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of rough spots, and the writing isn't anything spectacular, but I end up back here time and again. It's coming up on a 10 years this fic has been around, thought I'd drop by and leave a note.

I know you are started editing and reposting to ao3 a few years ago. I hope you'll keep that going. I want to know where you picture this going. Anyway, it's been a gem, best of luck in life in general to you and anyone else reading this.
5/4/2018 c13 Go1
wow!
2/17/2018 c13 4redpandamanda1
Please write another chapter please
2/13/2018 c13 Erin
Wow. Okay so I have got to say that this is one of the best stories I’ve read in a long time. I’ve yet to come across a story with Matt as the main character, though I’ll be sure to get right on that as soon as possible! I found his backstory you described to be fascinating and I’m anxious to know more. I truly hope that you finish this story. And if you don’t, then I hope that you will at least give us an idea of what you planned to happen next. Truly, this is lovely.
2/13/2018 c13 Anon
Holy crap this is good! 4 years has past though so I’m unsure if there’s gonna be another update every again (that’s disappointing)
Still, thank you for the wonderful story!
8/12/2017 c13 Carottal
So, now that I am a changed reader, full of hope after finding out about your ao3 account, let's get back to what hasn't changed after years and repeated exposure to your fic : my love for it.

Your fic is great for the original situation you put Matt in and the way you developed his character : genius but childish, pessimistic and cynical but hopeful, traumatised but in control and extremely lucid at some times though unable to grasp things that seem so simple to us at other times. I particularly love seeing Matt's thought process. I love how he deconstructed Light's movements and his own when playing tennis, I loved when he analysed what happened to him to try and understand why it did and how he secondguesses everything in light of L's involvement, I love when he lets himself get invested in the friendly competition that is Light,...
But I think I'm even more impressed with Light. Matt is a hard character to write because we know little about him. We have to create everything nearly from scratches but in a way that will make him fit among all the great characters the Death Note universe provided. Not too idealised, nor demonised (though that's not such a big risk. If such small character gets depicted in a fic, chances are the author is partial to them in a nice way.), not too sane, not too crazy,... However, once you manage to give him flaws and qualities, you're pretty free and I find it difficult to say he is not in character. As long as he's true to the character you decided to give him, he is. Adding new sides to his personality will just bring depth to it.
On the other hand, Light is the main character of the saga. We know how he thinks as the story is mainly told through his eyes, we know his life. You can't stay completely in character or at least I don't think so. Fictions would have a hard time setting a new path for him than the one in the canon if so. The question is to find what is the essence of his personality. What I love in your version of Light is the emphasis you put on his competitive side. It's such a big part of what we see of him in the manga! And I love how you use this and his contradictions (because thankfully your Matt and your Light have these little contradictions that make them human, show they haven't already gotten all their answers at their young age. Such as Light's plans for his future career) to show us a believable younger, more innocent version of Light that could grow up to become the one we meet in the manga. I often find myself wondering if this story could still fit in with the canon as I read it. And apart from Light's obsession for Matt which would make it unlikely that he loses him (but who knows) let me tell you that I think it could still work. I like that it's straying from canon so slowly. And I wonder if it will lead us to a new universe in the end. It adds to the suspense for me. Though I don't know if it was needed as there are so many things I want to know, which I already told you in previous reviews (L's thoughts, Mello's reaction to everything, Light's suspicions and discoveries, Matt's future...).

On that matter, new theories for Light's attitude and doubts towards Matt. First, I have to say that obviously, Light can suspect some abuses towards Matt because... well it's kind of obvious really in the way he acts towards others. But maybe there's some more. Maybe, for reasons that remain to be determined, he thinks Matt is under some kind of witness protection? Traumatised boy, distrusting bordering on paranoiac, with a story that doesn't add up. (Or a spy :p here to investigate Light's dwellings. Or something else! Light may have thought he told some heavy secrets himself to Matt before that short night.)
Light discovered Matt's identity as an infamous hacker? I don't believe it but who knows?
Mello wasn't told much about where Matt is and launched an underground search to know where he disappeared to. Light came upon such search but not knowing why Matt is here, why he changed his identity and what about his attitude showing signs of abuse (would tie up very well with the idea of a witness protection program), he doesn't know what the right reaction should be. And well, maybe Light wouldn't want to let go of someone as interesting as Matt?
Again, I wonder if that would lead to Light's reaction during such long time.

I'll stop thinking about it for now or I may not sleep. So thank you for the story again :)
8/12/2017 c7 Carottal
Yes, I am reading this yet again, and leaving a trace yet again.

Just saw an answer to previous comments in your AN that I desperately wanted to quote to you:
"Grey": Thank you so much for the review! I promise to keep working even on this story. It has an ending and I intend to reach it, don't worry. (If I ever take a year to update, please spam me with PMs telling me to get my ass in gear)
Just so you know, though I'm not this Grey person, I take it as an invitation to leave those stupid reviews or even contact you through PM when I get to look at what my password was again.
That tennis scene is so epic! I always knew it would be to me and keep this special status in my heart. Though I'm pretty excited about reading the debates between Matt and Light, and Matt's stressful mistake.

I don't remember how much you let us know about Matt's past before Whammy. Or how he became friends with Mello. So I'm excited about finding out how much is left to be discovered!

Now excuse me but I have 6 more chapters to read. And I intend to do so.
6/30/2017 c13 Carottal
Esperar. Spanish. To wait or to hope. The best verb to express how I feel about a new update of this fic.
To hope. English. To wish something strongly but have no power over it whatsoever. The best verb to express how I feel about you being alright.
So yep, this is not a review at all, I've expressed my love for this story many times. But I thought it was time for me to give you just another reminder that there are still people remembering this story, loving it, and waiting faithfully for what is to come next. Or, if you have no more will to continue it, then to receive closure through a summary of what you had in store.
6/5/2017 c13 5WolfArcana
I love this fic seriously. Matt is my favorite character from Death Note and I completely agree with the way you're written his character. I really like how you keep putting little details about the fact that even though he's a genius he's still a kid. I also really enjoy how your not rushing this story. You've been taking your time to show us who the characters are and you've began building on there charters. We haven't seen much of L and Watari but so far (to me at least) Watari seems kind of bland I suppose but L was in character. Is it possible that when you begin writing this again (please be when) can we see a little of what both Mello and Near think? Ok on to Light. To me your Light seems like he was living in his own little world where no one really got him but now that Matt's come along and shown that he can keep up with Light and see through his acting, Light's not going to let him go and he won't allow Matt to go back into his little shell like he did in chapter 10. Over all I love how you've created the characters. I also wonder what Light's family going to react to meeting Matt. Will Sayu ship them? On to the plot line. Like I said before, your not rushing the story which I think is one of the reasons why I enjoy it so much. The way you've written it keeps me constantly trying to think about what's gonna happen next. Like how you made Light pretty much stick like glue to Matt or how at the start Matt practicality tells his guardians to die in a hole I did not expect those at all. Andddd I think that's all. Sorry for how long it was. I hope you continue this fanfic.
3/25/2017 c13 10arsehattery
Okay, wow, that was fantastic. The whole story; Light was perfectly in character, and I loved his conversations with Matt so, so much. I found Matt to be, well, mostly an overly judgmental prick? But I think that's how he's supposed to be in this story, isn't he? lmao.

Well, anyway, that was very, very fascinating and now you've got me wondering more about Matt's past which I've got the vaguest idea of, and which I'd really like to know about.

And I know I've already said this, but Light was perfect here. I loved him so, so much, perhaps even more than canon!Light who I've always sort of despised. But I suppose Light is a lot more human here, isn't he? Your Light is a lot more than just an evil genius with a tendency for the over-dramatic, and I love that. His little speeches to Matt were wonderful, and their mutual snark was so beautiful.

One of my favourite bits from this story was, for some strange reason, the little description a few chapters ago about origami - something about the origami that Wammy's number eleven made obsessively as she pondered the nature of space and time in a corner of the library? That was beautiful! Another brilliant part was the entire tennis game - dear god, that was intense! The whole chapter where Matt realised that "happiness was possible" was absolutely lovely and I really just wanted to give that poor little bby a hug. And Light's opinions on the War were, strangely enough, quite fascinating and - alright, I just really, really love the way you've written Light! Aaaaa!

You've also got me wondering how you're going to relate this story to canon, or if you're going to do that at all. Well, anyway, I'm definitely looking forward to more, and I hope you write more soon! :)
2/5/2017 c13 rai1234freak
I don't know if you noticed or not but us fans are really looking forward to the next update. Please try and update soon and if not then maybe write an AU declaring your intentions regarding this story.
428 Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »