for For a Moment

10/28/2010 c1 53Zelda12343
I love Sam and Frodo's close bond as well, and I enjoy fanfictions like this one. Please consider writing another!
7/22/2010 c1 29Rachelle Lo
Awwww...my heart just melted.

Love this little moment, and the rejecting of the Ring. Keep writing! (Just generally speaking, you know, I know this is a one-shot.)

-Kim
5/27/2010 c1 Chick On Wheels
Awww I'm so glad I found my password and stuff again! Now I can update my story, but anyways this was really good Juliana. Your stories always excite me so much! I love LOTR XDDDD You did great job in getting Sam and Frodo's character right :D

Megan
2/10/2010 c1 BakerStreetIsLastRefugeOfHope
A great story. Very well written.
11/16/2009 c1 Morgan
This story is fantastic! I really did love it- you did a great job capturing the characters.

If you like the friendship between Frodo and Sam so much, you should definitely read the book. There are so many sweet conversations like this in there that they left out of the movie. They're probably some of my favorite parts.
10/1/2009 c1 3Stella Smallburrow
I'm in love with this story. I can't believe that you haven't read the books because the characters are so in canon... For example, this sentence "he was eager to be back where he belonged-at his master's side". This is pure Sam Gamgee. And this comment from Frodo: "I never should have offered to do this Quest, Sam"... OMG, I'm sure that he told that very same thing to Sam a lot of times during the Quest but the Proffesor forgot to record it in his book ;)

One word about Gandalf. No, he didn't say "don't you leave him" to Sam in the book, but the Elves did and exactly in those very words. And Sam answered "I don't mean to".

Once again, are you sure that you haven't read the books? :)

And when you described Frodo trying to sleep without managing it, I could see him as if that movie scene in Lothlorien when Galadrien waked him. Poor dear thing! (hugs Frodo)

Finally, I really love how Sam comforts Frodo. He knows him very well and he gives him exactly what he needs. I love that sentence: "hobbits, especially Bagginses, loved gentle teasing and subtle rebukes". Perfect! And it gave me a lot of ideas for my new story, too!

This is a wonderfully sweet and tender scene. The writing is beautiful, filled with love and devotion for these characters, and the theme is touching and lovely. All I can say is: congratulations for this little piece of art. Please, keep writing like this.

And thank you for writing this story and sharing it with all of us Frodo fans! :)

Esther

PS: I voted in you poll. I hope you don't mind. I'm sorry for poor Dumbledore, but I'm afraid that Gandalf is winning :D It was a difficult choice, nevertheless.
9/28/2009 c1 ReviewsGalore
Story: 8/10. I think that this story is structured well, with Sam noticing something is wrong with Frodo, Sam cheering Frodo up, and the peaceful ending. I wouldn't mind seeing a little more conflict, especially in the middle of the story, though. The whole thing about Frodo wanting to turn back is so brief that it doesn't seem like Frodo really considers it which means that nothing is really at stake in the story.

Characters: 7.75/10. I think that you've got the characters down pretty well. The interpretations seem to be movie-inspired, but that's okay. I like Sam's dialogue and I think that it shows his character pretty well. My problem is that this story doesn't really show us anything about the characters that we don't already know. The content of Frodo and Sam's conversation here seems to be a mishmash of several other conversations in the movie. It feels like there is no character growth.

Creativity: 7/10. It is an interesting little scene, though not an uncommon one. Again, I would really like to see you come up with something for the characters to hash over that hasn't already been covered in the movie, even if you just add a little background or personal information to their reflections.

Writing: 8.25/10. I think that you write well, with a clearly developed style and few mistakes. I think that some of your dialogue works really well. I'd say, however, that you probably use too many adjectives and adverbs - you're wordy.

Believability: 7.75/10. I think that there are some things in here that clearly place the fic in movieverse, but again, it is okay to write movieverse as long as you admit that is what you are writing. I think that the events are basically believable and work for me, but the whole fic is pretty fluffy and I wouldn't mind a hint of the darkness of the movies.

Overall: 7.75/10. You write well and I think that you understand the characters, but I’d like to see a little more conflict and change.
9/14/2009 c1 Warak
A very nice job andaere! I really liked it. It was reminiscent of the movie and you did a good job of keeping Sam and Frodo in character. I really appreciate that you didn't slash their relationship and make it seem gay (like most people would). All in all it was pretty sweet. Keep up the good work!
9/1/2009 c1 eiluj
A nice little fic. "Canonical" is indeed is a word, and your story is canonical - except for the bit about Sam promising Gandalf!

That line *does* come from the book, though. In the book, Frodo sold Bag End to his nasty Sackville-Baggins cousins, giving out the story that he'd spent all his money and had to cut back on expenses. He purchased Crickhollow, a small house in Buckland owned by Merry's family (Merry’s father and Frodo were first cousins). The idea was that if Frodo was living in Crickhollow, it would be easier to leave the Shire without anyone knowing.

Merry and their cousin Freddy Bolger took a waggon-load of Frodo's belongings to the new house, while Frodo, Pippin, and Sam walked cross-country (something Frodo loved to do). Just as one of the Nazgûl was about to locate the hobbits, a party of Elves approached. The Black Rider fled.

The hobbits camped with the Elves that night. The Elflord Gildor Inglorion (whose name indicates some unexplained connection with Galadriel's family; we can assume Gildor was very old and very important) recognized Frodo was involved in some major situation. Gildor didn't ask for details - and Frodo didn't tell him much - but Gildor realized quite a bit and was concerned enough that he sent a message to Elrond. [That was why Glorfindel and the others (not Arwen) were sent out to find Aragorn and the hobbits.]

It was one of Gildor’s Elves who told Sam not to leave Frodo. Here is Sam's version:

"Don't you leave him!" they said to me.

"Leave him!" I said. "I never mean to. I am going with him, if he climbs to the Moon, and if any of those Black Riders try to stop him, they'll have Sam Gamgee to reckon with," I said.

A few references for your Tolkien study (delete the spaces in the addresses):

The Encyclopedia of Arda (more topics, but often brief info):

w w w. glyphweb. com/arda/

The Thain's Book (some good background material for fanfic writers, but fewer topics):

w w w. tuckborough. net

Wikipedia's supposed to have good Tolkien info also:

en. wikipedia. org/wiki/Portal:Middle-earth

Write on!
8/30/2009 c1 3Protector of Silence
This is an amazing story! I am astounded at how well you kept the characters acting as they really would act, and how professionally you described the scene and action. Sam's dialogue is perfect, and the story is so vivid that I could picture the scene in my head, with Sam talking about "Mr. Gandalf" while Frodo clutched the Ring. If I didn't know you wrote it I would have assumed that you were a college senior who's read the books at least ten times - it was that good! Keep on writing stories!

Happy birthday!
8/25/2009 c1 60AngelofDarkness1605
Oh, that's a very nice one shot!

Perhaps it's "cheesy" and "nothing much happens" like you said, but it was a very enjoyable one shot none the less!

And I think it's very canon-ish, even though it is a few years ago that I read the books for the last time :( But the movies are actually pretty much like the books (especially in characterization) so you can't really go wrong there, as far as I can see it :)
8/24/2009 c1 4RiverOtter1
Hello there!

Aww, a sweet little story that warmed my heart. I loved your potrayal of the ring, and both Sam and Frodo were in character - great job! I don't think it's cheesy, at least - it's nothing compared to the stuff I used to write for school, and most likely still do. Gosh, I don't even want to talk about that... ;) As for nothing much happening, that's fine too. In most of the one-shots I write, nothing happens at all, except talking. I really liked the mood of this - you really get a heartwamring feeling, and I love that about your writing style!

Keep up the good work, and happy writing!

-RiverOtter1