for Embers

1/17 c15 Guest
Zuko really is traumatized by Koizilla wiping out Zhao's fleet, huh. Weren't they kinda asking for it? And about honorable surrender, remember what Fire Nation do to their prisoners. Not honorable at all. And don't delude yourself, we all know what Zhao would've done to the people of the Water Tribe.

I can't believe Zuko blew his cover so casually in his rage like that.
1/16 c14 Guest
Regarding the author notes, no way did the canon imply that Sozin's line is genetically evil. It's their environment and upbringing that exacerbate some of the inherent bad traits. Iroh used to be a bad person as well, before losing his son and going into exile with Zuko made him think twice about the world.
1/15 c13 Guest
All this talk of "you need lords to survive" sounds like something pretty convenient for lords to convince their subjects of, if you ask me.

I know war crimes and genocide used to be more common in wars of the past, but again, invading the Fire Nation's homeland and exterminating its populace is next to impossible for any of the other nations, especially after enduring a hundred years of war. Also, just because ONE shaman said that he wanted to "destroy the Fire Nation" Amaya thinks that's the Northern Water Tribe's ultimate goal? Their ultimate goal is survival because destroying the Fire Nation, without the Avatar, who is of all the nations and wouldn't do such a thing, is impossible.

Damn. Iroh is straight up telling Zuko to kill his own sister. I know it's necessary, but Iroh is both more capable and ready to waste her than Zuko may ever be

So Ursa might be a dragon's child? That's what makes Zuko and Azula naturals?

Iroh and Amaya are just the best together. His reaction was fantastic to Zuko. I hope Amaya sticks around with them.
1/17 c59 21thecagedsong
I just realized that the fact that Master benders can tell lies from truth isn't really explained. Toph knowing lies was about her seismic sense, telling the changes in heart rate and body rhythms that accompany lies. In Embers though, where multiple Master benders know lies from truth, it could be connect to statements and language being a subtle use of Chi. Spirits take notice when you declare something, and promises are a whole level of binding. Who lies, what even means, and who tells the truth is a huge theme here. Lying uses chi differently than telling the truth
1/16 c59 thecagedsong
I love the scene of Toph comforting Hitomi. Her arc is subtle, (hard to make her more awesome) but I don't think she would have considered Hitomi at all in the beginning after being given an order to retreat. But she's learned to listen to what people don't say, and been forced to look at bigger pictures like Zuko and Iron do. for a 12 year old, she's learned that the world isn't about her, though that's still her second guess. I don't know if I'm explaining it right, but coupled with learning about the things she can't do alone, her arc is subtle, complicated, and about growing up as much as the rest of them.
1/14 c12 Guest
Zuko, Ozai's hair isn't even gray. He'll live for a minimum fifty years if he stays healthy. If he were Azulon's age all this worrying would make some sense. But he's not, and Sozin's Comet will come long before he dies. Thinking the Fire Nation homeland is in peril is just down right idiotic. It's the rest of the world that's in peril, your waterbending is pretty much irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. While it tells me that Zuko cares about protecting lives, especially his people's, it's silly to worry so much about a threat THAT DOESN'T EXIST posed by people, who in a couple months, ARE LIKELY GOING TO CEASE TO EXIST
1/14 c11 Guest
Imperial firebenders, in canon, were way less impressive than the Dai Li, wo took out Zuko in seconds. So if anything, Dai Li Imperial firebenders
1/16 c56 thecagedsong
its so fascinating how the knowledge that Azusa has family that loves her changes her. its hard to see because loyalty includes loyalty to family first, but that seed of familiar love doesn't break. everything g she's done to Zuko would break his loyalty to her, but it can't break family. having that security meant she could finally focus on keeping her people alive instead of just herself loved. its so subtle and brilliant
1/14 c10 Guest
Damn, Azula's so abusive of Zuko in this AU, even more than in canon. That said, I like the explanation for his late blooming being sabotage
1/14 c10 Guest
I like how Iroh and Zuko debate on the nature of bending inheritance; it's a combination of heritage, spirituality and ideology, but no one knows what's the deciding factor. Though since recent heritage (first or second generation) is proven to matter in what element you're born to, and there were no airbenders reported born since the Air Nomad Genocide, the art is all but extinct. Even if you have a place that's "free" whatever that means (which seems to be a state of mind achieved by meditation instead of circumstance or place or birth) no one will be born an airbender. I don't really get why Zuko cares about that anyway; worrying about how airbenders will live after all but one are gone, and swearing that you'll make that one last airbender live forever in chains, is like thinking about where to mark a dodo reservation a 100 years after they were all killed. It's a bit inane. It's like thinking that a prince bending two elements means the Fire Nation will face annihilation; mate you have real things to deal with already.

This chapter is my favorite so far I think
1/14 c10 Guest
Zuko should have a little bit more confidence in himself. The spirits made him a waterbender in addition to firebender. And he's not even the avatar. That's pretty insane (but detracts a little from Aang being the only one who can learn multiple elements, but oh well this is fanfiction idc). I know prejudice exists, but from a purely logical pov Zuko is now Azula's superior. I know Ozai is a dickhead, but there's nothing to suspect he would shun such a unique and valuable tool; If he could sell it right (which he probably can't) he'd be seen as a miracle in the Fire Nation instead of an abomination.
1/14 c10 Guest
I think Zuko is overreacting a little, at least in regards to his nation's existential threat. Air Nomads were unorganized pacifists and the tiniest nation, so they didn't stand much of a chance against the Fire Nation's army enhanced by the comet.
Ozai has more than enough time to sire more heirs, Sozin had Azulon when he was like ninety-five. And Azula would make a decent Fire Lord. And even IF Ozai leaves no heirs, even IF that led to a civil war, it's absurd to think the either Water Tribes, southern one teetering on the brink of extinction, northern one both an entire world away and largely isolationist, or the Earth Kingdom, which has next to no know navy would be able to annihilate an enitre nation's population before they can organize themselves enough to fight back. It's hard to empathize with Zuko when his worries only exist in his head.
1/14 c9 Guest
So firebending is basically move hot stuff around? That's just Iroh's theory though. Zuko did bend water from the pond, and that wasn't boiling hot.
1/11 c8 Guest
So apparently, Fire Lords have lists of people they wanna kill or vaporize. And some people are added seemingly for no reason, but it's hinted to be their ancestry.

Amaya, get up to speed. What the Fire Nation tried to do to your people 85-years ago, they tried again a month back.
1/11 c3 thecagedsong
ahh! this chapter. As if I didn't cry every time Iroh acknowledges that Zuko would never follow Ozai's path, you wove extra into it. Iron doesn't understand why Zuko does things, makes assumptions about Zuko's mercy, and that is so central to their combined arc. And Father murdered "disgraced" daughter during the moon slaying, even this early the bonds of family are directly connected to watertribe. Amazing
9,563 Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »