for Barrel of Laughs

4/6/2010 c1 143PADavis
So I've been saving alerts since like wow September for your fics and here we go.

This was gorgeous and so S4 angsty goodness. Love the '53 inch TV goes over there walls closing in ramble as he tries to talk himself out of his claustrophobia. And Sam yelling about him being able to find his a** and Dean's unspoken reply. Brutal and funny at the same time.

But for me the brightest facet of this gem of a story was the final two paragraphs. Knows as sure as he's damned that his brother is slowly leaving... gah.

Phoebe
12/26/2009 c1 52sandymg
OMFG ... How did I miss this? Just noticed it among your stories. Fantastic little piece. Gah. You do description like nobody else. I so can't do this. I don't even try ... just keep to my own style and hope nobody is looking for a descriptive word ;)

Wow. Okay.

This, your ending:

And all of a sudden the light floods in and he’s being raised from Perdition? and he’s a weeping pathetic mess and in the distance he can hear the voice talking him back into himself, crooning nonsense, hand stroking his hair, rubbing his back and he hangs on, never wants to let go even though he knows as sure as he’s damned that his brother is slowly leaving him, bit by bit, day by day.

But he’s here now.

- Tissue alert warning needed to blink at that part. Gah, with the leaving him slowly, bit by bit. Oh, so true. And so sad.
11/26/2009 c1 16amyblair
Okay, I read this like five times and I'm still not sure I followed it all the way... BUT, I liked it. I get that Dean was sick so it was suppose to be confusing. It was, but again, in a good way.

Loved your writing. Very interesting and made me wanting more, made me want to keep reading, very curious as to where it was going.

Lovely end. Tied up a lot. Nice job. When's your 'Killing Moon' going to be done, dear?
11/21/2009 c1 1nope nope not me
shit. you made me cry. I think my favourite stories are actually claustrophobic dean ones so this was awesome.

would add more, but i'm on my way out, so just wanted to say, im in love with this story ^_^

x
10/19/2009 c1 Shannondoah
And, yup, Sammy, you’d be surprised how many things know how to find my ass in the dark" Funny, sad and creepy all at the same time.

Your wonderful knowledge of all things Winchester comes through fabulously as does your gift for vivid description and expression. Short but definitely sweet (well, if we can call Dean's anxiety and angst sweet-and we can!).

I was impressed how you tied his fear into the episodes. We see just how much courage it took for him to crawl through those dark, tight spaces of the farmhouse and the mausoleum. And I hadn't really given any thought to the underlying significance burying his brother had for him considering he'd recently clawed his way from his own coffin. So much depth in this chapter! Exquisitely done!
10/15/2009 c1 13Tisha Wyman
Oh wow, hon. This was so sad. I feel so for Dean.
10/7/2009 c1 Medic04
Poor Dean. I think they gloss over what happened in hell and how he feels just a little too much.

~Michelle
10/3/2009 c1 47Scullspeare
You are the dark mistress of irony with the title of this piece. *g*

But I liked that it took a facet of canon and dealt with the very plausible ramifications for Dean. Anyone who wakes up in their own grave and has to claw their way out is, um, bound to have issues!

The bit about Sam slipping away twisted my heart a little more, but at least this week's episode provided a little balm!

Bleak, yes, but still beautifully written.

Cheers, Sculls
10/2/2009 c1 pheral
Oh man, that was... *wrenching* i think is the word that comes to mind. Love how you really don't waste even a word - every sentence is full of awesome.

And hey, i know i've been lax reading your other ongoing fic, i'll be on it as soon as my mood will let me do it justice! :)
10/1/2009 c1 7capjack54
I just got time to sit down and read this and wow. Great command of Dean's character. And this one has a bit of a happy ending... when's the last time THAT happened on SPN? :)

Great stuff, as always.
9/29/2009 c1 6Maz101
The style perfectly captures the emotion. Those passages without end; the interruption of thoughts; the tumbling hints of the story line; the rambling movie references; the angry, needy thoughts of Sam - all finely illustrate Dean's panicked state of mind. It's a good 'un!
9/28/2009 c1 redgriffin7
"...because his limbs are broken and so, so bendy" That line was so disturbing, out of the whole story, I don't know why that one line really got to me. I have to say your title threw me off, there are no laughs happening here, only a lot of distress, pain, and freaking out. Yeah, no laughs here, just one very sad story, but at least Sam found him!
9/28/2009 c1 12suz mc
This, my dear, is the kind of word that separates craftsmen from artists. You are the later. What I love so much about your writing is the way I can not on feel the "outside" of where the character is, but the "inside" of where the character is. I actually got that cold, scared feeling inside me feeling Dean's panic braided in with his attempts to fight it.

It's just breathtaking to see you at work.

Oh, and I count myself among the things that can find Dean's ass in the dark.

Couldn't resist. :)
9/28/2009 c1 Cal
you know what, I'm a little confused, but I still love it! The tension in it, the self-deprecation that just ratchets it up with twisted humour. The run-on sentences leave the reader just as breathless as Dean is, the contrast in what he's telling himself and the 'thoughts' that belie his exclamations, and then those last lines, not quite hopeful. 'He knows as sure as he's damned' - beautiful phrase!

Now, what confuses me is this: to begin with I thought he's in the mausoleum in Jump the Shark. But then he's stuck in a wine barrel. (here weren't any wine barrels in JtS. I checked. Which, btw, thanks for an excuse to watch the epi again instead of working! lol)

Thanks for the read, and I've got Killing Moon on my list of things to do tomorrow/wednesday! (Nag me. Seriously.)

Cal
9/28/2009 c1 38Marlowe97
Oh yes, poor Dean. I don't remember correctly - did they show him at least a little claustrophobic? Cause it just fits the grave-thing (which must have been totally creepy!)

Nicely done, this one. And yay, it's short - I don't need to wait for so long to read more *wink*

Thanks for sharing