for Consolation Prize

7/7/2014 c19 88YouWereAlwaysMyOriginalSin
So glad that you updated this, it was one of my fav's back in the day. You're an excellent writer!
7/6/2014 c12 Virginia
Wow! I love this story so far!
7/6/2014 c19 Guest
i see that this fic has been written over the course of several yrs but i am just reading it for the first time today so it is just like new to me. i hope you continue it more regularly now because its really quite good!
7/6/2014 c19 Annemarie
I can't believe you updated! This story is freaking amazing! forgot how good it actually was...
PLEASE say you will continue soon!
7/5/2014 c1 50Mackenzie L
Just need to start by saying how thrilled I am - to an almost indecent level - that you've decided to continue this story and share it with us! (I could not review on the 19th chapter since I'd already previously reviewed that chapter last time, so I'm posting this review on your first chapter for that reason only.)

I admit it feels like ages since I've last read this story, but it's always been in the back of my mind somehow, and it took very little for me to recall what had happened prior to reading this latest update. I have revisited your fanfiction in the time between the last update and now, and every time I opened it back up for my enjoyment I would find myself catching something new that I hadn't noticed the last time I'd read it.

As for your latest chapter, I was instantly reminded of why I loved this story so much right after reading the first few sentences. I'm a cat fanatic, so I certainly appreciated the orange stray's kittens scene. I'm thinking the fact that this cat is a "pregnant ginger who was once on the brink of death" is not unintentional... (On an unrelated note I've witnessed two cats give birth myself, having grown up on a farm in Kansas, and your descriptions of newborn kittens brought back some eerie memories). In a completely alternative yet uncanny coincidence I've also spent the last five years of my life in Pittsburgh, PA, and I've found it altogether amusing and entertaining to read your descriptions of the early 1900's 'burgh as well. I liked imagining Cal taking Rose to a restaurant that overlooks the 3 rivers, possibly atop Mount Washington (a spot where I've celebrated several birthday dinners these past few years).

But the most stunning bit, in my opinion, of this entire new chapter was this line: "Blue shards of light cast from the diamond." I admit I wasn't expecting it, and at this point it all clicked in my head. It's such a perfect mixture - Cal's ulterior motives, Rose's unawareness, Sullivan's skeeviness, and the connection of that diamond with the sinking ship that started it all. I think a true fan of this story has always viewed the Heart of the Ocean as a character in its own right. You expand upon this characterization so beautifully through your ample, though not gratuitous, mentions of the blue diamond. It is a leverage point that each character feels some connection to, and it acts as a link between them all (just as it did in the movie for Jack, Rose, and Cal).

I found it especially satisfying to see an ending of the chapter which did not leave us on a bitter note but rather a note of hopefulness for their future together. There is such promise in the body language presented between them, and also in Rose's last cryptic words. I love that Cal is still so confused about her and cannot even fathom that she might be genuinely interested in what is going on with his business. Again, this is one of those qualities that sets Rose apart from other women her age at the time.

I can't reiterate just how pleased I am that there seems to be a new charge to this story. Know that no matter how long it may take, I will once again be eagerly awaiting another update. In truth, I don't think any other author could do justice to this couple the way that you can.
7/5/2014 c19 SittingWithThePlastics
As I've said before, I am stunned by your writing and your storytelling abilities. I bow down to your amazingness my friend. I am forever hooked by this amazing fic.
7/5/2014 c19 Miss Anly
I think this is fantastic! And thank you so much for not abandoning this story which is truly a gem among Titanic fanfiction. Very believable and realistic. I love the slow development and really hope Rose will fall in love with Cal.
7/4/2014 c19 8Ilma
I can't believe I haven't discovered this story before - it's so well written and thought out. I don't mind at all that you'll take your time with updating.

Both Rose and Cal are truely interesting characters here - as is this Sullivan (even though he's evil). It's nice to read how somehow really protective Cal is towards Rose and I hate how she doesn't appreciate it.
7/3/2014 c19 Guest
Whoppee! I've been waiting for your update. That Sullivan guy is so perverted.
Just hold on , Cal!
7/2/2014 c19 michelleyerik
This is wonderful, I had waited for you to update and I'm glad that I decided to check up on your story today. This was really good, and I can't wait to see what you have planned for future chapters.
7/2/2014 c19 7heartsoftheocean
OH MY GOSHHHHH! YOU UPDATED! You have made me so happy, and this chapter was perfection! I can't wait to read more!
6/14/2014 c17 SittingWithThePlastics
This story is so well written and developed. Haunting, really. I find it hard to believe that you weren't happy with the way it's been written. To me it seems very mature and well thought out. I can't imagine any amount of editing would make it better. It's the best it can be right now, in my opinion.

I just can't get over how intense and interesting you made Cal's character in this fic. I can envision so many amazing scenes ahead for these two. Mix those scenarios with your writing style and it's bound to be incredible. I hope that somehow you manage to pull together the inspiration to continue this. I've been coming back to this fic for the last week or so and I just can't get it out of my mind. I guess I'm seeking some sort of closure. (Plus I'd absolutely kill to see what a love scene would read like for Cal/Rose.) Only you could do something like that justice.

Hope there is inspiration yet to be had!
2/10/2014 c19 Guest
PLEASE UPDATE
1/25/2014 c19 Kayln
omg please update i love this story so much! I HOPE THAT CAL AND ROSE GET TOGETHER! PLEASE KEEP WRITING THIS STORY! :O :D
12/2/2013 c19 50Mackenzie L
So I have story to share.

I watched Titanic today, for the first time in about 3 years or so. Although I like it a great deal, I always thought the movie was overrated - entertaining, sure, but too sappy and melodramatic to be taken seriously as a love story. Every time I'd watched it in the past, I'd always been the only one of my girlfriends who didn't end the movie with streaks of mascara running down her cheeks. Part of this, I suppose, was due to my indifference to the character of Jack Dawson. I just didn't see the appeal, finding him to be too immature and one-dimensional. He didn't convince me as someone who could support such a headstrong and vibrant woman like Rose. But I'd had to settle for shipping Jack and Rose as a couple along with the rest of my fangirling friends, because Cal was the obvious must-be-hated-abusive-sexist-douchebag-antagonist in the story. Again, this is when I was still in college.

Today I watched the film with a new pair of eyes. I'd never given much thought to Rose and Cal's relationship before, but I can finally see now how the years between my 23-year-old self and my 26-year-old self have changed so much in the way I view the characters. I was moved - not by the reckless artist Jack Dawson and his tragic death, and not by the general desolation of the sinking ship or its true-to-life passengers - No, I was fascinated and entranced by the untold story behind Rose and Cal's engagement and how it had all began. I wanted to dig deeper into their past together and explore the facets of their complex relationship. I sensed something dangerous yet delicious about them as a couple, and I longed to see more of them together despite thinking it was impossible and even undesirable in the long run.

Then I logged into fanfiction and found this story, and everything that I thought should be impossible and undesirable ended up being exactly the opposite. You told the story I was longing to hear, without even realizing it. I was captivated from the very first chapter and did not stop reading until the very last sentence of your author's note. After reading this fanfic, I realized why I had always been so subtly dissatisfied with the way Titanic ended. All this time, perhaps, I was lacking the maturity to understand the reasons behind it.

I am plagued by a stinging emptiness since this story has been left unfinished, but being an author myself, I understand that many times the inspiration for a particular story slips mysteriously away from us with little hope of returning. That being said, I still hope in vain that this story could somehow continue, because it has been a hell of an amazing journey so far. I'm almost tempted to continue writing this fanfic from where you left off, just for myself, in the privacy of my own empty Word document.

I will say that I may have to do just that if you do not continue writing. With no intention to risk pressuring you in any way, I simply want to express my gratitude for your tactful genius in sharing this story. If you ever do decide to keep writing, know that I will be the first to pounce on that update.

Mackenzie