for Mourning Out

12/1/2014 c1 Guest
good story
8/16/2010 c1 140Gamebird
Yeah, a friend of mine called it the "Willow-fication" of Heroes. I hadn't really thought of it, but they were right. I thought Josh Whedon handled the directive to have a gay character really well, which was to say that since it didn't make much sense in the background of the character (after all, every main character had been firmly established as heterosexual), he just had it be nonsensical and played it with an otherwise straight face.

I remember Seth's character coming back once and being "What? Wait! You're gay?" and her being like "Yep. Happened. Weird, isn't it? So, let's talk about the plot of this show..." and him standing there dumbfounded, then blinking and finally being like, "Okay... yeah. Plot." It made it so much more believable. Well, maybe believable isn't the right word. Acceptable.

Like in Toys, where two white parents have a black son they totally love. No mention of adoption and in fact several comments about how he's a chip off the old block. You ogle a bit and then you're like "Oh, well... okay, on with the show" because it's not that important anyway. (The movie was full of surreal elements anyway.)

I just wish that Gretchen had a role in the show *other* than being Claire's vague sex interest. I liked the way the actress portrayed the character - body language and personality were great. It's just that she didn't do much other than be a foil.
1/22/2010 c1 CoolEpilepsy
We got our risk a few days ago! It was amazing, and I hope they continue, and I hope this story continues as well! (hint,hint)
1/13/2010 c1 10Jack Velvet
Yes, I agree with your Author's note! Take a risk, NBC! Claire didn't even clearly say no...she is kind of leading Gretchen on. They'd be really good together...and something SOMEWHAT solid, since the other relationships in the series tend to fail!

I really like how you played this out...if the writers/network decided it was okay for them to be together, I could have seen it play out just like this. Or at least Claire talking with Peter on how to ask Gretchen back out, or something! Anyway, cute story, thank you for sharing!
1/11/2010 c1 7Bloodsucker94
Wow Peter handeled that better than I had when my sister came out to me! (I fainted) Im a shipper of this pairing not because it's a gay couple but because it's awesomely different and Claire with Peter or sylar is just gross their all related!

Good job.
1/11/2010 c1 tyjnt
im team cretchen all the way!they better give those 2 more moments!
1/8/2010 c1 6Neurotic-Isopod
yeah, agreed, i think that using gretch like that was just a early on plot spin to draw in more viewers, I really hope they do make something of her character though, not like zach, west and any one else who seems to be claire's 'friend' for a season and disappears for no apparent reason. nice short fic btw ^^ simple but it works =)
1/7/2010 c1 2DigitalAda
I agree with your last AN. I'm tired of all of the ship-tease going on here. I hope that the show is nice to the gay folks, especially since the writers are always going on about how diverse the show's cast is. Plus, Claire/Gretchen is cute.
1/7/2010 c1 18Sakura Katana
I think that was almost exactly what would have happened in that scene if Claire had come out to Peter. Even though I don't ship Claire/Gretchen, I read this because I was surprised Gretchen wasn't mentioned in that scene (especially when West was). Even though I don't like the pairing and am against homosexuality in general, I agree with you that Claire and Gretchen's relationship has been handled terribly. Gretchen hasn't been written well for the most part, & even though she has the potential to b really cool and likeable, she still isn't very popular. I'm just starting to kind of like her myself. And I think it makes no sense for Claire to suddenly be a lesbian. Well, it does only in a attracting-horny-strait-guys-"OMG Hayden kissed a girl!" kind of way. So... Yeah. Nice fic :)
1/7/2010 c1 93Lara-Van
CLAIRE/GRETCHEN FTW! They're really the third best canon relationship that Heroes has ever come out with (well, assuming that Peter and Emma become canon as Kring hinted at over the summer), and I agree with you- I'm really ticked about how they've basically dropped Gretch off the radar lately. I REALLY hope she'll be back soon, maybe in Pass/Fail?

Thanks for an awesome story. I think I like the "Claire comes out" version better than the "Claire says the wrong thing and Peter gets all upset and goes to be an idiot and get himself shot 'cause he can't deal" version.