for A Prince's Duty

5/15/2011 c7 8Bookeater-otaku
I am happy to see this story updated. I think it's funny, dynamic and entertainning. Keep up the good work and update soon.

Thank you.
5/15/2011 c7 Duquette7
This is a truly excellent story. In fact it is the best piece of fiction involving Herb that I can remember reading. Seriously looking forward to your next update.
5/14/2011 c7 18rewind gone nuts
This work is quite fascinating - for one thing, it's managed to bring me all the way to the end of it, so far. Normally, I don't read manga-exclusive fanfiction, because I am both less familiar with the manga continuity and, if pressed, will confess I don't actually like the manga take all too much. Both canons rely a fair amount on comedic sociopathy, but the manga takes all of its characters and makes them so unlikable it falls into "dude, not funny" territory on too many occasions. Another thing that would normally put me off is the usage of the idea of Jusenkyo always mixing - I really don't like this train of thought and it usually puts me off reading a fanfic.

However, this story is so interesting that I don't actually care about these elements; it's just that engrossing. Your take on Prince Herb, turning him/her from someone who is, from what little I know of the canon, an arrogant unrepentant prick into somebody who is basically screwed over by life just as badly as Ranma is and struggling to just get by like Ranma, is truly interesting, the situations are amusing (especially the oh-so-canon-like tangle of misunderstandings and flawed beliefs about the curse situation), and the interactions are engrossing. The particular way things have gone now - with Ranma having learned both that Herb has reasons for him to pity "her" and that he has been sucked into Lime & Mint's misunderstanding, and Herb having learned that s/he was mistaken that his/her companions understood the truth - just makes me eager to see the next chapter.
5/14/2011 c7 Andrew MacKenzie
Excellent chapter, look forward to another soon.
5/14/2011 c7 8Dumbledork
Another wonderful chapter. One thing I've been wondering about. In the beginning of the chapter Harb and Ranma go bra shopping and Ranma even wears one when she leaves the shop. Is she still wearing it or did she get rid of it as soon as possible?
5/14/2011 c7 Violet Shadows
First off I'll just say its good to hear back from you - you had such a high post rate at the start I was beginning to worry that this story was dead.

Now that, that's out of the way; I'll admit that I didn't remember much about this story beyond Ranma's on a trip with Herb for the kettle thing; however, as things progressed it seemed to come back to me in fits and bounds. One thing that stood out to me was the fact that this chapter was extremely polished; I could be wrong, but I think I remember your previous chapters being a bit crude: this on the other hand seemed rather solid and I only recall a sentance or two that really stood out to me as being incomprehensible.

That aside I only have one complaint that I can make that isn't on the basis of taste (bit too melodramatic for me, but it probably suits your audience) and that's the portion between Tarragon and Turmeric. Basically, it was confusing as hell, especially the first half of that scene. Sure I knew where you were going with it and what was going on, but the structure of the relationship between both them and prince Herb was far more obscure then it needed to be (pretty sure Tarragon is Herb's father and Turmeric is Tarragon's grandfather). Mainly the problem is that we're introduced to Turmeric as a Prince of the Musk so we immediately assume he's the younger of the parties, possibly Herb's older brother; its a simple enough fix simply requiring you to establish a bit more during his introduction at the start of the scene; however, without that qualification it comes off as a bit confusing.

Other than that, good chapter, I liked how out of touch Herb's relatives were and while I think you could have done more with Turmeric's realization, this does avoid the problem of any unnecessarily lengthy tangents.

...Hmm, one other thing; Herb's flashbacks to various soothsayers and fortune tellers was a bit jarring and sudden; I wasn't sure if that's the feeling you were going for with that, but that's how it read to me; take it how you will.

All in all, I liked it; hope to see another soon.
5/13/2011 c7 6Bree R
Never read this before and I should have it's really quite excellent. Looking forward to the next.
5/13/2011 c7 2Mugen-Muse
Well, the truth was bound to become known sooner or later. lol. At least now they have a ridiculous story of their own to share with others and I imagine Herb's great-grandfather would get a good laugh out of the whole thing.
5/13/2011 c7 deitarionSSokolow
The interaction between Cologne and Shampoo was entertaining.

I had a bit of trouble finding the interactions between Tumeric and Tarragon, but that could be partly because of a more exciting distraction in my life today.

Of course, I continue to enjoy your exploration of Herb as a character the most and it's nice to finally see things starting to come to a head as far as interactions between Herb and Ranma go.
5/13/2011 c7 3Hiryo
Wow so genious I so love and the reson why Herb think of himself now as herself ^^

So many roflmao moments and so good laughs the wait was it worth it!

Thank you for pblishing that and I sooo await the next one!

Please update soon your awesome fanfic!
5/13/2011 c7 marc
excellent chapter, I love how you portrayed the Musk characters, though I don't see how Ryoga could have done THAT much harm to Mint, even if he is RYOGA, Mint is wicked fast, and a very skilled Musk. I like how the relationship between Herb and Ranma is developing. Keep up the good work!
3/14/2011 c1 Hat O' Doom
Hope you update soon. This story is very interesting to read and Herb is in so few stories as is. Thanks for the great read
2/22/2011 c6 deitarionSSokolow
Excellent story. Both for the delightful details you managed to mix in, like Herb's assessment of Cologne and 'JTGSRS: Volume 3', and for focusing on one of my favorite under-appreciated characters.

I also have a certain fondness for these "canon in a new light" stories. First, because they make it more difficult for an author to implicitly promise one kind of mood/tone/atmosphere and then betray that implicit promise later. Second, because there's just so much unexplored potential in them.

Of course, what I like most is probably that it's a nicely balanced comedy-drama character-exploration story. (It's very rare for me to truly enjoy a serious story and most of the comedy you run into is rather shallow. This has neither of those problems AND focuses on my favorite under-explored Ranma character.)

In line with that, of all the bits of humor you've written so far, the one I probably enjoyed the most was Lime's rationalization that Herb has always been a girl and plans to court Ranma... partly because I've always found that kind of crazy wrong conclusion entertaining, but even more because, despite my love of gender-bending fiction and crazy ideas, the concept of Herb and Ranma being anything but adversaries, even only in someone else's mind, simply hadn't occurred to me.

Of course, Lime convincing Mint to join him in his mistake with what, normally, might be a pretty reasonable conclusion and then pointing out to the reader that "thinking" can defend erroneous conclusions just as readily as correct ones was masterful. Am I correct in assuming that Herb smells like all the other women present because the genetic incompatibility issue only affects his male form?

I was looking forward to seeing what chaos the contination of that subplot brought when Lime and Mint initially brought Ranma in on the misinformation about Herb's birth gender, but I'm not yet sure what to think about the results of Mint having been unknowingly asked to share the rest of it. Yes, I see the benefit in moderating the speed at which Ranma and Herb connect, but I'm just not sure that's the best way to go about it. (Aside from it being uncomfortably close to the fomulaic, cliché types of misunderstandings common in anime, it's also getting close to certain kinds of emotional contexts which I have trouble reading due to my hyper-empathic over-sensitivity to perceived embarassment, present or near-future potential.)

You also seem to have quite a talent for making tongue-in-cheek references without making them draw too much attention to themselves. For example, 'The life of a prince is fraught with excessive work,' part-way through Herb's contemplation of the Nerima norm.

...not to mention the work you've put into flowing your details together and fleshing them out well, as with Ranma's "insult technique" and Herb's recognition of its value to one in his situation. (I always refer to characters by their gender, not their sex... in other words, mind rather than body. Keeps things more intuitive and less volatile in the face of potentially frequent transformations.)

Was it your intent to make it more enjoyable by repeatedly exercising a "reveal, wait until the reader has more or less forgotten, mirror in a nominally opposite character" pattern as you did with Ranma momentary musing on Mint's apology pseudo-technique? ...because you seem to be pretty good at pacing out that kind of balance.

The one thing that gets on my nerves is the whole "curses always combine" thing. I'm more or less used to it, but in principle, it destroys the innocence of the Ranma setting. (Nobody dies permanently in Ranma ½, only Saffron dies at all, and except on rare occasions, nobody even gets sick or permanently injured. That's part of the mood-setting.) I'm much more partial to a solution like "Whether curses combine depends on how you use them. Jusenkyo may not be sentient or alive, but the magic is complex enough and chaotic enough to have developed some simple animal awareness over the millennia... and it'll only ever let you find the spring you want if, like Taro, you don't intend to use it as a cure." (It helps that my preferred approach is also compatible with Takahashi's explicit interview statement that Nannichuan will cure Ranma.)

Anyway, it's a little worrying that you're taking so long to release the next chapter, especially considering the unusual nature of the cliffhanger compared to earlier in the story, but aside from that, on the whole, excellent job. Definitely the best Ranma-Herb interactions I've read by far.

Oh, and if this review doesn't flow as well as it should, apologies on that front. I built it piecemeal and it got a little long on me but didn't have time to give it the formal essay treatment to remedy the potential side-effects.
12/15/2010 c6 Hat O' Doom
This is a really well written story. Its so fun to read! Keep up the awesome work
12/4/2010 c5 8Ryo-Wolf
Good story so far, but I have to wonder where you got the Kodachi explanation from. Kodachi started chasing after Ranma after Ranma saved her from falling off the Tendo roof. It had nothing to do with protecting her from other girls. In fact, Ranma did the exact opposite when they met, protecting other girls from Kodachi.
72 « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »