FanFiction.Net
for Strangers at Drakeshaugh

12/5/2020 c29 Jasmine
Even more problematic Mike Quotes & actions:

"At times like this, it's difficult to know whether I should side with my wife or my mother-in-law. No man should have to make a decision like that, should they, Jack?"

Hahaha, isn't overt sexism funny!?

"'I expect that you'll be collecting them from Drakeshaugh. D'you want to borrow the big car?"

Mike believes that their cars are not communal property, despite being married. He 'allows' Jacqui to 'borrow' a vehicle she already owns.

"He'd loaded the dishwasher and set it going, and was busy wiping down the table.
'Thanks,' I said.

He heard the surprise in my voice and grinned. 'I live to serve,' he told me, a twinkle in his eye."

Mike thinks everyday house chores are beneath him, and only helps as a special treat.

"'Lego fire engine, twelve quid, is that too much?' I asked anxiously.

He shook his head. 'It'll be fine Jacqui."

She thinks she doesn't have the right to spend their money on a present for their child's best friend. She has to run it by the man and get his permission.

"After giving Mike his instructions, and threatening him with dire consequences should he forget to collect James' birthday gift, I got to work preparing lunch for the following day and thoroughly cleaning the kitchen. Mike retired to the lounge and kept out of my way."

1] Mike is a big dumb stupid man who can't even remember the simplest things without threats, because lol stereotypes about men

2] Mike acts like he's so great for loading the dishwasher and wiping a table, yet Jacqui still gets stuck cleaning the entire kitchen while he parks his lazy butt in the lounge

"Although to be honest, I've no idea what an A-line skirt is. Frankly, I don't care. In case you haven't noticed, I've always been an admirer of tight jeans.' He gently stroked my leg, gave me his silliest grin, and winked."

Women are just sexual objects for the male gaze, and this is played for laughs and supposed to be endearing.

"Straight after school is fine for ladies of leisure like you and Ginny, but it might be difficult for me,"

Mike doesn't believe that full-time caring for children he helped produce has any value as labor. This is not the first time he has belittled and dismissed all the work Jacqui does, even though she works her butt off.

"He took another look. 'Red hair is James,' he announced, smiling. 'They're holding hands. Why are they holding hands? Should I be worried?"

Mike is a homophobic piece of garbage. He, of course, sees nothing wrong with it until Jacqui tells him off, because he is once again a stereotypical a big stupid man. This is once again played for laughs.

"I was about to retune Mike's radio from Radio 4 to Radio 2 in the hope that some classic pop would be okay, when I spotted one of my own CDs—The Sky Didn't Fall—poking out from under a cloth in the side pocket. I wondered how long it had been there. I'd been looking for it for weeks, and Mike had denied all knowledge when I'd asked him if he'd seen it."

Mike refuse to clean his grody, disgusting car, but he either won't even bother to give Jacqui back her CD or he cares so little about her or her things that he doesn't think it matters.

"Mike gave a murmur of protest when the CD began, but I pointed out that it was the only CD in the car without any language issues, and I'd asked him if he'd known it was there weeks earlier, when I'd first asked him. That shut him up."

Ah, there it is. He did know, but Jacqui as a human being and her wants and needs are so worthless to him that he didn't care. The CD, like Jacqui, just wasn't important.

Mike treats Jacqui like trash. She appears to be trapped in an abusive marriage with kids and a husband who sees her as a sex object to be placated and managed.

I really feel for her, and for the author if Jacqui is truly any kind of self-insert. This is a sad, miserable life of servitude to lead. This poor woman. Her pig of a husband has her by the short hairs, and he knows it: Trap 'em with kids and they can't leave.
12/3/2020 c18 Jasmine
Another sign this is an abusive relationship:

"He had wined and dined and pampered me. And he had good-naturedly allowed me to swim in the almost magically warm and clear Ionian Sea every day."

She is a grown woman. He *allowed* her to swim every day?
I almost vomited, reading this. This is such a creepy line. He does not own her. She is not his dog. He 'allows' her NOTHING.

This is so gross, so creepy,, and so concerning. Is this actually what you think a healthy relationship is? Yikes.
12/3/2020 c18 Jasmine
Mike is a completely gross, abusive, sexist piece of garbage and he is keeping me from enjoying an otherwise good fic.
This behavior isn't funny. It's utterly disgusting and has no place in this story:

"So, swimming on Saturday ... d'you think the redhead will have a bikini?"

"After all, it seems that your mummy spent the entire afternoon busily gossiping and drinking tea."

And even worse:

"'It's okay, red…' my husband began"

"Ginny is Ginny. Not redhead, or Red, or Ginger, or Ginge and definitely not Gin,"
(also, WTF!? Ginny is a grown women who can speak for herself and does not need a man to speak over her.)

"She's definitely a redhead,' Mike said in an undertone. 'She's got a temper that's even quicker than yours. I don't want to die a horrible death, so don't let me call her "red" again.' "

So Mike is such worthless garbage as a human being that he can't even police the words that come out of his own mouth? What an utterly useless grown adult man.

And this is even worse:

"'Red?' he said. Ginny rounded on him.

'The wine,' he said, trying to sound innocent. 'We're very fond of red wine, aren't we, Jacqueline, darling?' "

This is abuse. You are sitting here writing an abusive man who is deliberately refusing to listen to "no means no" about a woman's NAME and trying to play it off as a cute joke.

Abuse is not a joke. It is abuse. This is disgusting and vile. This sexist piece of garbage is treating Ginny like a sex object and you are playing it for laughs.

What is wrong with you?
12/3/2020 c39 4David Fishwick
thanks for writing this great idea. I liked how you wrote the friendship between the Potters and the Charltons.
12/2/2020 c39 Descend unto Madness
Your writing style and attention to detail absolutely blew me away. It has been a long time since I've posted a review on any story, but this story deserved all that and more. Every scene in the story was written in such a vivid manner that I could imagine that I was experiencing the scene right alongside the protagonist. At the same time the details were never superfluous nor did they detract from the flow of the story. This is a fine line to walk and honestly I feel you've done an absolutely smashing job of it. I am not usually a fan of the "after years" type of fanfiction because they often seem over the top and rather unbelievable( I include the cursed child in this heading). This story though not only made the characters relatable and real, it also seemed like an almost seamless transition from canon. Thank you so much for this wonderful read :)
12/2/2020 c12 Guest
Thank you so much for finishing this story! I made chocolate buns today and they were delicious! No idea if they were anything resembling jacqui’s though.
11/22/2020 c30 Guest
:))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
10/7/2020 c39 Aratherfluffyfatcat
Enjoyed the story thanks
9/29/2020 c39 ironhair
This was a lovely read. Thank you so much for writing & describing a regular family & a mom's routine.
9/26/2020 c39 Guest
Fantastic! I had run across this a few years ago and life got in the way and I only just found it again this last week! Fantastic!
9/21/2020 c1 ironhair
Reading
9/14/2020 c19 5IHateSnakes
Great story! Just a note about the last few chapters: I noticed 3 or 4 instances where the italic html tag was not properly formatted and the tag appeared as part of the text, something like: iyes/i.
9/13/2020 c9 IHateSnakes
Wonderful story.
9/12/2020 c3 IHateSnakes
very good, you are a gifted writer.
9/12/2020 c1 IHateSnakes
interesting story and very well written...onward!
2,282 « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »