for From the Depths

8/13/2019 c1 5Superkawaiifreak
Okay, excuse me for this effusive profusion (you like that alliteration?) of emotions, but I cannot believe that I didn't review this piece of work the instant it was published. You know I was on in within seconds - I had just gotten an iPhone! ... Moving on, this story enters my mind daily. It encapsulates me. I understood what 'love' was, or could be, when I read this story; of course, it has changed in its iteration, but really, this was the first story in which I was able to process the happy marriage of romantic and amity-based love. Who would've thought, right, that best friends made the best lovers? That those who pray for your self-betterment for your own good are those who truly love you?
This text has exceptional staying power. I wrote a version of the story of the biblical Jacob and Rachel, loosely based off Bernard Malamud's "The First Seven Years," and all I could see as I wrote was this story. God, I can't believe I didn't leave a review. I know you know what I think, but still. You are better than any modern writer I've read. You know your geographic focus; you know your emotional focus; you understand mathematics and geometries, the precious tethering of a story's necessary technicality so that it can convey what it means to say. This concept enters my mind weekly, if not daily, and I am absolutely at a loss of words, and so utterly grateful. What the fuck else can I say? Need I critically remark on your mastery of syntactical execution, the rhythmic release of truth in the very bone of this? No, because you know what you did. I see it.
The best part of this story is the outlining of the 'watery womb' while they fall in love; yet, I am most satisfied when I read about Roxas's pathetic attempt to take the fish guts in his hand. The 'aching vowels' is responsible for my first real love in college, so thanks for that. (My grad student instructor commented on this phrase I stole, said that its onomatopoetic pull moved him, and that its use of all of the vowels touched his creative spirit.) You know, the last 'master work' I performed in college was called De Profundis by Delalande, and I couldn't help but think that it was a sign - that my college experience was bookended with these deep inquiries on depth, verisimilitude, shy love.
Thank fuck you exist. Thank god I read your work when I did, and sorry that I am just now getting to tell you how much this text, in particular, influenced me. The Eliotic 'cry of the gulls' is something I will never get over.
3/13/2016 c1 43silvermyth
Give me purple prose all night long and I will love you forever. This was just so beautiful. Idk what it is about this kind of writing, the way it ebbs and flows and doesn't always make the best of sense, but I could just eat it all up. Thank you so much for writing!
9/17/2015 c1 22apiegohome
Beautiful, a great little story.
9/1/2013 c1 1Seaside Strangers
(This is Madi on a new account, lost my e-mail for the other one, lolfail)
I can SMELL the sting of the salty air.
"A press of lips against his jaw, chapped with salted air. "The salt of the earth," Roxas breathed, "the gold of whole coasts. Before, a prince would trade his entire country for an empire of salt." Licking his lips, Roxas shook his head. "You can't see what you have. Salt preserves, it seasons. Toilers of the sea, they know how to endure." A tentative arm wrapped around his waist, Roxas' voice warm in his ear. "You do the work of kings.""
This is fucking PROSE. I can hear his voice, visualize the miscievous glint in his eyes, the light of the sky glaring off the water, and endless deserts of sandcastle empires.
"Roxas, too, smelled like the sea, moved like a perfect storm and anchored him in the middle of a swirling gulf, teasing out articulations of want, need, obliterating his loneliness with a singularity that bordered on devastation, leaving nothing but raw, damp skin and eyes blinking back the glory of the sun in its wake."
This struck me like a fucking anvil. Your words are heartbreakingly beautiful. If you don't become a famous writer one day I'll eat my socks. Mmm, socks.
Aside from my babbling, I just want you to know that no artist has ever been able to move me and make my heart tremble the way you do. You have so much talent, c. Thank you so much for sharing it with the world. NEVER STOP. You're too damn good to stop.
8/5/2012 c1 ILoveLoveRomance
man i thought that was funny
1/4/2011 c1 2bijou
This was breathtaking.
12/18/2010 c1 3Celestial Secrets
That was incredibly poetic. I liked that you gave Axel such a different lifestyle than anything else I've read on here. I enjoyed the prose and the descriptions of Axel and the fish. This piece stands out in my mind for being so different; it doesn't seem like fanfiction at all.
10/23/2010 c1 3Yarouka
This was incredibly moving, poetic, and beautiful. Most definitely something to be proud of. I don't even know what to say. I've been having such a weird week, I've been nonchalant and empty-like nonstop and I don't know why and, holy shit, this really got me. The last passage gave me so much feeling and the last paragraph drew me over the edge. It was so beautiful. Thanks for writing this; I can tell that it meant a lot to you, just through the writing.

-Savvy

p.s. Kinda reminded me of Play Crack the Sky ;)
10/21/2010 c1 3Geddan
This...This was amazing!

I've just started to come into the Kingdom Hearts Fandom, and..And I find this?

Just freaking fantastic.

I woke up this morning, and wanted to finish it. (Last night I had only got to read a bit of it)

Lemme tell you, it was so.. Epic?

Yeah. Epic.

-Spazzy
10/10/2010 c1 otaku.hakuyahoo.com
I'm sorry to hear about your friend. My best friend of several years recently broke off our relationship, in what I infer was a similar way. I also will never be able to forget her. At least you and I both had some time with that specific kind of love, and the beautiful gifts it brings from us.
10/6/2010 c1 7ere-melo
I can't even. just, fucking yes.

every time you write Roxas, I have to make more room in my heart.

beautiful. ;3
10/6/2010 c1 19Rocketship Romance
This is beautiful.

I love the way it flows, I love the descriptions. It's confusing yet at the same time simple.

The way you describe everything; actions, looks, etc is beautiful. :)

It's light hearted on the surface, but deeper below.
10/5/2010 c1 Loppuo
Just be proud when you've done well. :) Don't be afraid.

The Purplish Hue made me giggle a little but the fact that you know that it's there makes it void. And besides: you over-doing it here and there looked only like someone wielding a weapon they haven't mastered yet. They practice and practice and when people are looking, they will throw in some fancy stunts, just because they CAN.

That is completely different from the type of purple fiction where the wordplay is actually clumsy and embarrassing, indicating lack of style, skill and vision.

I enjoyed it. I thought the meeting of these two different worlds and views was lovely. I also enjoyed the subtle role reverse. I was conned into thinking that Roxas was the one with the problems. XD

Thanks for posting this story here for us to read. :)
10/5/2010 c1 sdrtyuikl
...wow. this is really good. i love it!
10/4/2010 c1 2kwizera