FanFiction.Net
for I Hear Him Scream

4/14 c16 MMMmanke
Insane story, prob one of my favorites, but I kinda wish Hiccup stayed a dragon.
11/27/2023 c16 TheCatsmith
Fun fact the word toothless is in this book 890 times (i found out while i was editing it to make it into a personal physical copy (im swapping out swears for non swears etc))
11/25/2023 c17 TheCatsmith
Ive listend to this twice now and its still like one of my most favorite books/group of books (listend to via the app (text to speechalthough in my minds eye hiccup is white for some reason except when it mentions him camouflaging in with something, i dont know why exactly
9/15/2023 c3 ultoriousflama
can definitely tell this story wasn't written by an adult
7/7/2023 c4 Takemikazuchi25
reading this when I was younger it was the best story I've ever read. but now that I'm older and re-reading it, it's pretty meh. everything is blown out of proportion, for example the fact that hiccup stole kept being repeated so much that it became so boring, like we get it move the story forward already.

another thing is that hiccups behavior reminds me of a 5 year old that's trying to impress everyone and not make anyone mad at him, and at any sign of conflict he goes to his "I'm sorry" head down mode. it gets old pretty quick.
10/6/2022 c1 2ArcaneStorywriter
I love re-reading this for the hundredth time :D
9/14/2022 c2 2TheDayofRickening
Love the way you portrayed the village’s general reaction to Hiccup’s transformation. It sounds horrific just in written word; imagine having to witness it.
9/14/2022 c1 TheDayofRickening
From the description you’ve given, Dragon Hiccup’s coloration could make him almost look like a Sand Wraith.
8/5/2022 c2 ImMoku
im confused with your POV
3/1/2022 c6 Mr.Snowstorm
Reading it now after years, I can see this work's age. It's really awkward in places, but otherwise still a good read!
2/20/2022 c17 Epclaymore
Fourpony please do temper your expectations, nothing is perfect
10/20/2021 c4 Fourpony
There is heavy emphasis put on Hiccup listening to the Night Fury leave... but if he hadn't heard the Night Fury get up, it would have changed nothing in the story. That little paragraph is completely superfluous. I think it actually hurts the narrative a little. Hiccup is speaking directly to the reader there which does not happen often, putting more importance on something that doesn't matter in the least.
10/20/2021 c3 Fourpony
The whole "dishonoring" thing didn't make a lot of sense to me. They are both combatants in a fight with no standing rules of engagement. Maybe one could be seen as fighting dirty but that doesn't dishonor the other.
10/15/2021 c1 picothea
So, after having never heard of this collection of fanfics before, I started reading it a couple of days ago. I finished I Hear Him Scream on the second day, having been completely drawn into it.
From the very beginning, chapter 1, I was feeling very different about this fic. The whole dragon!Hiccup idea has of course been done elsewhere, but... often rather awkwardly and, at times, even too weirdly to keep up with. But this one, this fanfic, this was the one that really drew me into the idea.
It's everything but sunshine and rainbows. It's not a well-intended gift to Hiccup. It is a malicious act of vengeance by a brash, spiteful Toothless that will send the boy tumbling down through numerous near-death experiences. It's dark, as will a lot of the story be. And it's impressively written.
Every time I paused my reading of I Hear Him Scream, I was left eagerly wondering what would come next. The story doesn't just grip you in the moment, it grants you beats and cues to tumble around in your head and theorize about. Everything in the story has the possibility of playing a major role sooner than you expect.
I can give nothing but praise to the brunt of this story. From its darker handling of established characters, to its creation of original characters on the fly. And, despite all the gloomy and forlorn events of the story, it makes the happier, heartfelt moments so much more impactful.

Now, having said that I finished IHHS, my only real complaint or concern was the ending, and the content of the sequels.
So- ending spoilers!

Part of me is very sad that Hiccup wasn't able to remain a dragon, after everything he and Toothless had been through, and after the acceptance that he finally received. I am reading the sequels with bated breath, hoping for it to happen, but unfortunately it might not truly be. Maybe I am just a sucker for dragons and their escapism.
9/20/2021 c4 3Detsella Morningdew
I think the only reason Toothless was so quick to trust Hiccup is a combination of Hiccup's weak body, his complete unwillingness to kill even when he had the best opportunity, and then the forced contact between them. It was a very clear "I'm not like those other violent humans." Then Hiccup fixed his tail, at least partially.

Now, Toothless trusting any other Viking? That's a bit different. There's history there.

In this story, the circumstances are not the same, and so it takes a lot longer. Also, the lack of language barrier removes any sort of uncertainty to what people are saying, so ironically it lengthens the time it takes to trust each other.

Hiccup in canon didn't know anything but "this dragon is acting nothing like dragons are supposed to", and thus didn't hear constant insults about humans. And of course he didn't have any reason but previous prejudice to hate Toothless. And of course in order to communicate at all, Hiccup had to do a lot more than just open his mouth, so Toothless must have at least been mildly impressed at the effort.
1,090 Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »