for Warpath

10/21/2019 c16 Kyle
I'd love it if the Nazi's had taken over America.
9/9/2019 c10 SortingHat
"Loo hurry up!" Well THAT'S very insulting in Britain to say! The Loo is where you take care of 'business' and the bathroom is where you take a bath (no toilet) though if you say you need to use the toilet that will work too!
12/16/2018 c2 150Qoheleth
Dear JJ:

I don't think I buy this. Not that there aren't possible explanations for how so many Narnian trees found their way to Manhome, or why they should all have been independently made into wardrobes - or, for that matter, why the portal in this one seems to always be open when the Professor's was so much more whimsical. It's even possible that you provide these in future chapters. But, on a site as full of careless self-indulgence as this one, you'll understand, I trust, why I don't have enough faith in this possibility to wish to read further. I have this sinking feeling that, if you weren't concerned enough about the matter to establish it as early as possible, you're unlikely to have been concerned about it at all. (And, to be frank, I'm already detecting a certain carelessness in your style that only goes to reinforce that suspicion; the snatch of dialogue dealing with the Talking Beasts in chapter 1, for instance, has a childish, heavy-handed quality difficult to reconcile with its place in the mouths of war-weary soldiers.)

Now, if I'm wrong, by all means let me know how. Otherwise, though, I'm afraid I'll be leaving this written off as a sadly missed opportunity.

Sincerely,
Qoheleth
4/27/2015 c17 12cflat
Was in the Narnia mood again and decided to look up this old Nazi's in Narnia story I remembered reading. Still as great as when I read it the first time. We need more Pevensies fighting Nazi's stories (whether it be in Narnia or England). Shame that this is your only Narnia story.
10/28/2011 c17 7XxWanderlustxX
I love love love this story! I love how brilliantly woven together the whole thing is, the way it connects with history and how the characters' names sounded slightly familiar at first, but you only realize how significant they are in the end, and I specially like the bit about Rowling. Thank you so much posting such an amazing story for people to read... XD
9/21/2011 c17 mysticmoon1331
fantastic story! it was woven together so well! i liked how you ended it very much. very unique storyline, very enjoyable. i thank you so very much for writing this and i wish you good luck and no writers block in all of your future writings. good luck!
5/30/2011 c17 2Jazzcat
Haha... Skorzeny, chained to a desk! Good. He's more harmless there. And I had a feeling, long before I read the footnotes, that much of the information in that scene was pulled straight from actual history.

They say truth is stranger than fiction, and the scene between Fleming and Niven proved it once again! I thought it was all marvelously fanciful... until I read the footnotes. A great scene... and how cool that it was based in reality!

Same with the Joanne Rowling scene... and connecting Narnia, and this little adventure, to...

*lightbulb goes on*

Arthur was really Joanne Rowling's cousin? I'm tired and a little slow, and I didn't catch that! How neat!

What a doozy of a story you put together, JJ. And I LOVE pulling threads from real life and weaving them into a fictional tale in such a manner that it leaves a reader wondering, "Could that really have happened? DID that really happen?"

Another awesome story! Thanks so much for sharing it.

Blessings!

5/30/2011 c16 Jazzcat
*falls over laughing*

I LOVE the dressing-down Hitler gave Himmler! Priceless. I could just hear that insane dictator's voice screaming through every word. Well done! And for once, I shared Himmler's feelings on something: I'd love to see the leaders of that operation assigned to garbage detail.

I wouldn't have done anything to Skorzeny, either. He's too much of an asset to punish.

And the fear of invasion seals Narnia against any future threats from Germany. And with all the scrap metal the Germans left behind, Cair Paravel scores a new set of silverware. I like it.

"You are right. I could have vanquished the Nazis, and many of those who died would now be alive. But what then? If you rely on a single individual to be the solution to all of your problems, in the end, you will only do harm to yourselves. To become so dependent on one being will lead you down a path of sloth, of want, of weakness. You will abandon your resiliency, and respect for yourselves. If you cannot respect yourselves, how can you expect those who follow you to respect you?"

A great lesson from Aslan. And an awful reality. Don't we all wish it were easier? That great lessons could be learned without the loss of life?

But in the end, this life is all about developing character and growing virtue... to become a people worthy of Heaven (or, in this case, of Aslan's Country). Standing up for one's principles, and to protect one's people, and to prevent the invasion of one's home country (even though they are a world away), and to uphold justice... Those are all very noble things. The war heroes, both living and dead, showed what they were made of - and became more than they were before, forged on the battlefield.

And High King Peter has become much more than a boy wearing a crown. He is a true king of Narnia.

A perfect chapter to read on Memorial Day. Wonderfully done, JJ.

5/25/2011 c15 Jazzcat
Another great victory! Though not without great cost.

And things could have been a lot worse. I understand completely why they were considering the bombing of Digory's mansion. Better that than letting it stand as a portal for Germans to invade England. But still, that was a painful moment. And for Professor Kirke, what he must have been thinking... knowing that the gateway between England and Narnia would be destroyed, closing him off from the young Pevensies.

This chapter, too, was chock full of beautifully descriptive sentences like this one: "Exploding suns lit up the pre-dawn darkness."

Yay for the gryphons! It was a great battle, fierce and dangerous but decisive. At this point, all the "handicaps" presented by the medieval-style world's lack of modern technology and heavy weaponry have turned into advantages.

And now, finally, Niven's company gets to go on the offensive.

I'm also sure we haven't seen the last of Skorzeny. Definitely looking forward to the next two chapters.

5/25/2011 c14 Jazzcat
Losing Private Chaffee hurt, badly.

Things did not look good for the Narnians, at all... until Susan noticed the tank-that-was-not-a-tank at the edge of the battlefield.

Another fierce and awesome big-budget fight! I can't believe how they wiped out those panzers. It was very brave of them, and there were several moments when I thought they were toast. But on sheer determination, they prevailed. Very nice teamwork by the crew, too - Niven took Fleming's suggestion without a second thought.

Yay for the gryphons and the flaming arrows! Distracting the Germans by giving them more than one thing to worry about was key to the victory.

Farewell, Draut. We shan't miss thee very much.

Once again, this chapter was full of descriptive one-liners - like this one: "The remaining armored cars that escaped the first attack unscathed turned into wheeled funeral pyres."

*I* felt like cheering by the time that battle was over. So awesome.

And then, the aftermath. So many good men and creatures lost. So much destroyed. That is one of the most daunting and depressing portions of war - dealing with the destruction. Susan showed her sweet and giving heart in that moment with King Peter, moving past whatever she also felt and reassuring him that he really is a good king and leader. And he is. They prevailed in the face of impossible odds, somehow.

But the war isn't over. After all that, they still have to catch up with a vast regiment on the way to England and find a way to stop them. Talk about digging deep.

I can't wait to find out what that plan is all about. Go Narnians!

Another killer chapter.

5/25/2011 c13 Jazzcat
Whew. Well done, Niven! A great fight between Niven and von Droth, and Niven got the upper hand in a very sudden manner. It was good to have von Droth out of commission.

The battle between King Peter and Skorzeny was AWESOME - an absolute five-star battle scene; easily one of your best ever (among the stories I've read, that is) and the best in this story so far. The brief interaction between them was also perfect: Just enough for two archenemies to acknowledge one another, and then they clashed. Every blow, every parry, was startlingly clear and perfectly timed. I was especially blown away by the timing!

"Yield or die, your choice." VERY nice.

On a more personal note, King Peter's temptation to kill an unarmed man who'd just surrendered, but who was responsible for the torture and death of noble Narnian centaurs, was completely understandable and painfully real. I knew Skorzeny was going to be a threat if he weren't instantly thrown to the ground and tied up, though! And sure enough. At least he didn't have a chance to grab a weapon and finish off Peter.

The other extremely well-done battle scene was when Niven, Peter and Fleming in the SIG 33 versus the Hanomag. It was like a Top Gun-style dogfight, but with tanks instead of Tomcats. The timing on that battle was also fast-paced and very real, and I literally gave a fist pump when that Hanomag finally exploded.

I sort of hate to say this... The way you continually single out various Narnians (or various Germans, when the perspective shifts to the other end of the battlefield) who get injured and/or die at the hands of the enemy is great. It keeps everything so real that it feels almost as if we're right there in the middle of it. It keeps the armies from being a faceless mass of creatures moving in one direction or another. It... humanizes the war.

And you come up with some great one-liners for those moments, also. This line is such a one: "One of the fauns twisted in a macabre dance and collapsed. Niven's jaw clenched, knowing the poor creature would never rise again."

Followed by Niven's reaction, and that just drove the dagger home.

I'd forgotten Sergeant Ladamire, and I couldn't have been more thrilled to see him. Neutralizing the threat of Thalberg was, I have to say, a huge relief. Again, great details on Thalberg's perspective, as a trained sniper - noticing something that anyone else might have missed.

I loved the final line from Niven: "I don't think Jerry will mind if we borrow one of his artillery pieces. And if he does mind, well then too bloody bad."

Indeed. GREAT chapter, and I'm looking forward to seeing the next. The battle isn't over. And I know better than to celebrate prematurely.

5/25/2011 c12 Jazzcat
Ah, JJ, you are really good - at times, TOO good - at putting your readers right in the thick of things... on one side of the battlefield or the other. First, we stood next to Susan and shared her concerns as the German tanks advanced. Then we rushed down to look in on Skorzeny and friends.

One thing led to another, and just like that, Niven was locked in hand-to-hand combat with that evil monster, von Droth.

And since I'm hanging off a cliff, this review will be much too brief. Another great chapter, JJ... and I'm waiting for that red pennant to do something for the Narnian side. And quick!

Great work, JJ!

5/13/2011 c17 5Artemistmg
The end made me crack a smile, that was unexpected. Darn...it's over already?
5/12/2011 c17 3Perthy25
I loved your story, but was severely disappointed at the performance of the SS. They were supposed to be the best of the best, but were defeated by a group of commandos with 1 tank destroyer. Other than that, the flaming arrows part seemed a bit impossoble. Unless the gryphons were stationary, the aroows had nocway of hitting the target. The wind direction, coupled with the factor that machine guns can shoot down the gryphons, should make sure that an armoured battalion was not going to be beaten.

Other than that, I loved your story.
5/11/2011 c11 2Jazzcat
"They had to start taking risks, otherwise everything they had fought for, the peace and prosperity they had just begun to build in Narnia, would all be lost, and this world would enter a new dark age under the rule of that screaming lunatic in Berlin."

That paragraph just... sings. Even though it's foreboding in the extreme! It sums up the situation and everything that's at stake, all in short order.

The description of Susan's traumatic remembrances of being shot were eerily spot-on. In this case, talking with one of the soldiers was a great way to ease stress before the battle.

And what a battle it was! Fantastic. King Peter's humility does him credit, especially since he's a young leader who knows he has a lot to prove. Most young men in his position would foolishly take charge, regardless of the consequences. Peter cares about protecting Narnia. He's the best kind of leader.

I wondered if they were going to keep any of the guns to use against the Germans! I'm glad they had the idea before they blew up the last gun. It might not be the most ideal technological defense, but Narnians can use all the help they can get.

The Nazis' reaction will be interesting, no doubt. They certainly weren't expecting defeat! I doubt even Skorzeny foresaw such an outcome. He probably thought he'd taken every possible precaution en route to a sure victory.

Awesome chapter!