for Reflect What You Are

2/13/2012 c1 Aquidian
Lol, that souns just like Phineas. Always the gitty prat, and proud of it.
6/5/2011 c1 Il'Diko
Oh, you captured the Black personality very well! I think they were like Phineas. Proud and loved to make an entrance, but the stuck to their family. Bellatrix just went wrong somewhere... ;)
5/26/2011 c1 55Xx starlight-moon xX
I absolutely love this! How you manage to pack so much character into such a small piece I'll never know. This reminds me of your Alecto piece, in that you've taken a sidelined and really quite unpopular character, and given them a really forceful personality. And that's what I'm getting from this - the sheer FORCE of Phineas' personality. He doesn't shy away from anything, in his thoughts or in his actions, and as snobbish as he is, I can't help admiring that, in the weirdest way. Because it doesn't just work one way - he isn't JUST a snob and a classist. He definitely is those things, and pulls no punches about it, but he does what I don't think any other member of the Black family manages to do - he stands up just as firmly for his family, even when they don't meet his high expectations. It's that unexpected note - the fact that he's attending the wedding at all - that I think I liked the most. It hints at him having more potential than most of the ancestral Blacks, and would also go some way towards accounting for the grudging respect he shows Dumbledore. (Now look what you've done - you have me thinking I should pester you for a "Dumbledore and Phineas Nigellus talk" fic. *hangs head* But just think how good it could be! Especially as Phineas would probably be aware of the Dumbledore family scandal . . . *is carried away on another tide of fantasy-Erika drabbles* xD)

I love it! (And any time you want to write more Phineas . . . *coughs*)
4/4/2011 c1 8Verse
LOVELY! I adore what you've done with Phineas here :) I was cracking up at the gift of china that can't be used. He won't keep his opinions quite, but he won't give up on family either. (In my personal head canon, the Sorting Hat threatened to put Phineas in Hufflepuff due his strong family loyalty ;)
4/3/2011 c1 19Lexyann
Very nice and well turned story ! Good job !
3/12/2011 c1 300Inkfire
Oh, I just loved this! I would never have expected Phineas to accept such a thing! But it was very well done - you showed his disdain for the thing, and how he'll make slight compromises, but always stick to the family values and show contempt to her choices all along - the way he will probably manage to make her feel inferior and grateful to him for staying in her life. How subtly manipulating. The glasses showed that brilliantly... That biting little present that feels just so much like a slap in the face... And I could just imagine her children completely enthralled with their uncle. I liked the part about the Muggle's name and face too, lol!

Isla is in the FF characters though - WTF? She's just some random member of the Black Family Tree right? Hepzibah Smith wasn't even there, and she's mentioned in the book!
3/12/2011 c1 28xoxLewrahxox
I love this! A really interesting idea and I love what you have done with the prompt.

I like the idea that Phineas is actually attending Isla's wedding. Could this be him trying to remind her of where she has come from? Almost as if to say, it isn't too late to change your mind and marry someone who is decent. (Though Phineas doesn't like to admit it himself.) Or, is it just the fact that he is pleased that Bob makes Isla happy, but is just going to show his disapproval by complaining?

I love the description that you have used and the slightly devious side that you portray here with Phineas sedning the wine glasses with the Black Family crest on them. It shows this idea that those glasses will be a permanant reminder of what family Isla was born into and how she should have married someone who was pureblood.

All in all.. really well written like always!

-Sarah :)
3/12/2011 c1 30BellaPur
Ooooooooh! It's lovely! Good old Phineas Nigellus. I really like it. Dispising her husband but still keeping in touch and going to her wedding and Oh! It's just lovely. Well done hunny bunch.
3/12/2011 c1 42TuesdayNovember
Ooh, the Velvet Underground! I love that song, it's so jangly and nice. ^^

Ahem, but on to the proper review. ;D

I really liked this! I think you did a wonderful job with the prompt, I'm certain Cathy will like it - you definitely picked more obscure Blacks!

I really liked your characterization of Phineas Nigellus. He's a personal favourite of mine, and I think you've definitely done him justice. Even though he disapproves of his sister's marriage, and he's rather spiteful about it (as his presents certainly show) I think a part of him is, in a way, stronger, almost more Gryffindor-y than the later Blacks (ie Bella and Narcissa to Andromeda) because even though his sister has been burned off, and even though he doesn't like the choices she's made, she's still his sister. And I especially liked the repetition of "make an entrance."

So yes, I thought this was very nicely done, and hooray for more Phineas Nigellus fics! =D