for Wormwood's New Patient

7/1/2020 c1 Mark
The danger in The Lord Of The Tings wasn't of the One Ring falling into the wrong hands. That was not the real threat. The real threat was of Sauron returning, which could happen as long as the Ring existed.
3/19/2019 c1 SweetheartSoldier
I LOVE this concept!
1/3/2019 c1 9TheDarkLordofDoom
I know not why, but I find this completely hilarious. The dry humour elicited many a chuckle indeed.

The Screwtape letters is a tale long lost in the rusts of memory, but I thnakfully recalled enough to understand it.

What makes it so terribly funny is how it is written with a serious air. There is also a little feeling of strangeness to it all, as if it is all inherently wrong and extremely awkward.

One discrepancy is Sauron being Screwtape's brother-perhaps Screwtape is an Úmaia who is simply called a 'demon' by those who fail to understand the nuances of ainurin hierarchy?

Perhaps Screwtape should cross-examine Sauron himself at some point. That should definitely help with the- ahem, terrible fits of rage, the tendency to kill his own servants, blasting fire randomly at people all the time, the "IT'SNOTMYFAULTILOSTCURSETHELUCKOFTHOSEHOBBITS" rants, and all the "To think I left Valinor for this" sentiment.

Thank you for the laugh.
12/30/2014 c1 Lowenweiss
Nicely done. One of the better Screwtape stories I've read.
3/22/2014 c1 Prismatic Lollipops
great crossover.
3/18/2014 c1 Reldresal
Sauron is a Maia. Not a devil.
1/6/2014 c1 Deleted Account Pending Remove
Wow! I'm not sure how you've managed to combine hilarious and chilling in the same oneshot, but you've done it. Maybe because I can see it at the same time from the demons' perspective (hilarious to them) and also that of the heroes of Middle-earth (chilling, of course).

I haven't read the Screwtape Letters, but now I want to. (Thanks, SG, for the background you gave me on that story earlier!) It's easy to see what's going on here, though. What a situation! It's spooky how well you weave the concept of the corrupting/tempting demons together with the story of Frodo, the Ring, and LOTR overall. Your descriptions of the characters were spot-on, and often highly entertaining. My very favorite is what Screwtape called Strider. ;) The bit about Boromir was awesome, too. It was sort of a dark "Wow Moment" to read that.

About the plan against Frodo, I can definitely relate to the concept of power over one's own life as opposed to being trapped in fear! It gave me a chilling moment to think of that as a demonic tool of control, even though in the real world I see it (and try to live it) in a positive way. You've just given a clear and noteworthy illustration, I think, of how almost anything can be twisted into evil if we let it be.

It's very interesting, too, how the demons are so anxious to avoid Frodo getting "noble," or taking the Ring in order to help others, or any of the other things that troublesome hobbit kept on doing!

And finally, I just have to love the part about Gandalf. "Saying things the patient shouldn't hear," indeed! That is just so perfectly in keeping with the antiquated-creepy-evil-psychiatrist feel of these demons (which, from your explanation to me when we talked earlier, seems to be what C.S. Lewis may have been going for).

All in all, a fascinating and very entertaining, as well as thought-provoking, read. I found myself regretting that it's only a oneshot, as I'd have loved to read more of the same with the demons' take on further LOTR events. But still, you end it at a very effective point and it does work really well as a story on its own. Kudos!

-Lysana
6/26/2013 c1 DragonElf
"dreadfully perfect, power-despising Ranger" that is awesome :D
this is very well written, well done.
-applause-
5/18/2013 c1 91Violets and Lilies
Haha. This was funny. I like how you chose desire for power and fear as Frodo's temptations. I must admit, it's been a while since I watched Lord of the Rings, so it took a few sentences to figure out what you meant, but I think I got it. Whose the "certain man of the south"? I don't recall...

Say, my account is pretty new, and I've decided to take it easy for a few weeks (not completely stop writing, but be more relaxed about it) and perhaps, I hope, make some more Fanfiction friends. I've written 3 stories about Screwtape tempting the children that go to Narnia and, if you'd like, I'd love for you to read/review. My stories, for now, have been Narnia and Disney related, but I'm going to do others by and by after my break as well.

V&L
1/7/2013 c1 46The Wayfaring Strangers
Oh my. I'm ...stunned? This is a very good crossover, SG! I love how you developed the ideas of fear and power and how the writing style so closely resembles Lewis'. I think he would be pleased with this.

And the bit about Sauron being a Tempter before his 'accident in Númenor' was genius!

RandomCelt
9/14/2011 c1 Majikkani Hand
Excellent! You kept the voice of the character enough that it wasn't distracting, the means of corruption were amusing, and you ended it before it could become tiresome (as sometimes these sorts of things can get-they become lists, and that's no fun for the unexpecting). I enjoyed this.
6/13/2011 c1 101Vilinye
I have to add that to favorites. It's absolutely hilarious!
5/11/2011 c1 8Silvertongue90
Wow! You have quite an imagination. I love reading the Screwtape Letters, but the idea of The Screwtape Letters and LOTR's going together never crossed my mind. This is excellent!
4/29/2011 c1 5OhShirleyUJest
Thanks to you, my room-mate now knows I'm crazy. I LOVE this! 'Double-C.S.-Lewis-Tolkien-Bomb for the win! I must have burst into a silent spasm of laughter for about five minutes after just reading the first paragraph.

You captured the essence of the Screwtape Letters perfectly. There need to be more awesome English projects like this out in the world...