for Diverging Paths

5/17/2021 c1 Lukalukageno
I don’t usually read this type of stories but my gosh it’s just so well written and I really love how you portrayed azula!
1/27/2021 c2 Guest
I just finished chapter 1 after binging all 20 chapters of your first story and I don’t even want to keep reading anymore because I’m already addicted and I don’t want to experience the pain of reaching the last abandoned chapter and never knowing how it all will end. Seriously how much do I have to pay you to come back and finish this. I’m not kidding. Send me your PayPal and ill transfer you whatever you want within the hour. Holy shit please.
3/21/2020 c1 StuckatHome77
i do this to myself really, it's always the good authors and writers that don't get the right attention, and so they stop writting and you leave us with unfinished work... really good unfinished work... and it's upsetting that regardless of the fact that this book is unfinished and will probably never be finished, i'll still favorite this book in the empty hope that one day I'll see another well written chapter even though the chances are below 0, i have't read the next 5 chapters but I already know they are unbelievably well written, and i find it sad that i am being forced to read an unfinished book because a finished one dragged me here, i loved your last book, it was excellently written, so much so that even though o know this isn't finished, here I am, loyally waiting for the next command
8/12/2019 c5 DemonVampireGoddess
I hate when this happens *last updated 5 years ago*
5/11/2019 c5 padzer
hey, Just want to say that I really enjoyed this story so far along with into the madhouse. I still hope that you are planning on continuing it one day!
4/14/2018 c5 Lich Irelia
Sometimes i read old unfinished fic and regret it because ill never see the end. This is great A. I hope Azula kills this fuck thats hunting her.
7/2/2017 c5 CinammonRoll2
Half of 2017, dude i hope you are planning to continue this one day, great story anyway. :)
12/6/2016 c5 Nigiri
please, I hope you're still out there. I've been reading since "In the Madhouse" and every year I check back to see if you updated and I read through your first story again. It's one of my favourites. I feel you though. Work never seems to be done and I too find myself just waiting for the Christmas holidays to have 3 days of free time haha. University forces us all to have 25 hour work days sometimes, I hope everything worked out of you. If you do find some freetime to write, I'd be overjoyed. I need to know what happens next, how this story will end. don't abandon it :(
10/8/2016 c4 36sol113
Good and evil are present in everybody and it is your masterful portrayal of that battle in Azula (and to a lesser extent other characters) that helps make In The Madhouse and Diverging Paths the most impressive Avatar stories I have ever read and among the most thought provoking on the entire site.
Violence, consequences and wounds that don’t heal are things that make this stand out.
It is also appealing to see what Azula will turn into; a redeemed but still damaged character or more aware villain.

Azula’s persona as damaged, abused and morally skewed (partially by others selfishness and failure) must be far harder to write than the usual Azula stories where she is either pre evil or misunderstood. Your version of Azula exists in a very different place.

Damaged people, unable to just fight their way out of everything brings severe threat to the story, especially with a genuinely threatening villain; Admiral Shen is a genuinely disturbing opponent for Azula as his quest is not to destroy the world or kill the main character but to enslave her (if I’m reading your intention right) and this is more menacing for being personal.

Someone recently said Harley Quinn (from DC Comics) was a ‘social chameleon’- someone who transforms and becomes something else to please whoever she’s with; she becomes more psychotic around the Joker, more protective around Poison Ivy, quasi-heroic around Power-Girl, etc. Is there something similar going on with Shen (although more self-interested)?

Iroh’s darker morality and increased self-interest in an interesting break from canon as well.

Ursa’s background makes her sinister, if not dangerously imbalanced, another great break from canon.

Overall I love this story and feel it would be a tragedy to not see more of it, or at least hear an outline for the conclusion.
1/15/2016 c3 3Nikolai22
This whole chapter on politics is a bunch of cheese IMO. The fire nation is a monarchy, or a dictatorship. With some aspects of feudalism.
What is portrayed here looks like congressional debates in the U.S.A during the gilded age between radical republicans and democrats.
It was funny tho and maaaaaaan do I love funny politics. But from what I understand...Zuko's word is law no ifs ands or buts about it unless you want to go ahead and try to lead a revolution against him lol
8/11/2015 c1 opin
Every so often in fanfiction we see a story that is so well written, so emotionally powerful, so engaging and just so plain awesome that people wonder why the author isn't writing professionally and making a fortune. This is one of those stories which makes me particularly anxious about the lack of updates.
If this does not continue (I sincerely hope it does) can you please publish an outline of any intended plot you had so the readers can see how the story was meant to end. Because I know many people who desperately want to know.
8/3/2015 c2 opin
Every so often on this site we see a story that is so well written, so powerful, so gripping and so plain awesome that people wonder why the author isn't writing professionally and making a fortune. This is one of those stories which makes me particularly anxious about the lack of updates. If this does not continue (i sincerely hope it does) can you please publish an outline of any intended plot you had so the readers can see how the story was meant to end. Because i know many people who desperately want to know.
2/27/2015 c5 Guest
Where the heck is the happy family reunion and the happy ending? !? WTH MAN I'm DYING HERE WHO CARES ABOUT ZUKO!?
2/15/2015 c3 7Acastus
Ok, here we go. I have very mixed feelings about this chapter. Let me explain. My reservations have nothing to do with the Avatar end of things! Fifty bucks none of the other reviewers will understand, but you will! My concerns are on the Roman history.

I read your disclaimer at the beginning of chapter one - so I acknowledge straight up that you have addressed the concern I am about to voice. Please feel free to skip the rest of this paragraph. I just can't help myself. The cultural backdrop of the Avatar world as you correctly noted is based on far eastern cultures, China, Japan, etc. Consequently there is no basis for the Roman parallel that you are drawing. And not just any Roman parallel. I could easily see integrating other aspects (particularly Roman military tradition, or imperial administration) of the Roman world, but the organ of the Senate, particularly in its republican form, is I feel very hard to transfer into this world.

Also, the debate you show here is I feel much more representative of the late Republic rather than the Principate. There is absolutely no way such a frank and disrespectful debate could have transpired under the emperors. Don't mistake me - your writing is well done as always. The conflict is engaging and the politics are very believable. Zuko is weak and naive enough to have allowed such a debate and to lose it. However, I just do not believe that a) the Fire Nation ever had such a republican tradition and b) if it did, that such a senate after a century of atrophy (and the inevitable treason trials / packing) would have anywhere close to the spine shown here.

That said, I enjoyed picking out the Roman allusions. I love every one of them. I particularly like the portrayals of the homines novi - it recalls to me Syme's "Roman Revolution" - if we allow the republican tradition in the Fire Nation, one wonders whether Sozin employed similar methods as Augustus. Your grasp of the rules and operation of the late republican Senate is of course very strong. Not many know the senate had no permanent meeting place, but you note it here properly. I don't think the curia was built until Augustus, and the one extant in the forum now is I believe from the third century AD. Also, on a side note, can you believe they won't let you go into the curia anymore! They shut the damn doors! Last time I was there was like 2002 and it was still open to the public. What is the world coming to?

Anyway, I would be interested if any of the senators are stand ins from the actual history and what other direct references you are making in this chapter. Seriously, what more rewarding pursuit can there be but exploring and understanding the greatness and achievements of Rome? Yes, I am old fashioned. I actually admire Rome and Roman culture. This is of course a dreadfully unpopular view these days - a disgusting reality that I find tedious, ignorant and woefully infected by political correctness.
2/15/2015 c4 Acastus
I like the western feel here, fan as I am of spaghetti westerns and the Dark Tower.

Other reviewers have commented this chapter felt choppy, and I suppose I agree, but I still like it. Without her bending, exhausted and probably not well nourished I don't agree with the other reviewer(s) about how it's unlikely that Azula would have lost this fight so precipitously.

This is a classic case of getting mugged my reality. It's so bad, Azula even had to admit it out loud. As other reviewers have observed, she has to break down this way if she's ever to become something better.

That said, I'd have liked a few more episodes like this before she decided to slink off and hide in Ba Sing Se. I just feel like some stuff happened between chapter 2 (where she begins and ends the scene as the total bitch we always knew) and chapter 4 where she is exhausted and consciously desperate.

Now for a strange comment. In your last story I praised you for not letting it turn into just another vile snuff piece. I stand by that. However, I wonder how likely it is that Azula would get out of both that prison and situations like this without... uh, something awful happening. Anyway, I enjoy it as is, I'm just a cynic and the more often she gets into these situations the less likely I think it is she would escape unscathed in this way. To be clear, I don't want it to happen. I like Azula far too much to want anything like that to happen her - she's awesome! That's why you're writing this and why we're reading it! Like I said, I'm just a cynic.
132 Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »