for All That Is Left

3/13/2012 c27 9Ju-dou
ER, what? Cora is dead! My creys! Oh my, that was awful awful sad :( so beautifully written as always. I was kidding myself when I thought I could spread reading this over the day... Off to read more!
3/13/2012 c26 Ju-dou
Oh Robert! Yes he was quite crazy annoyed throughout series two, so this could certainly be how he would have reacted to a public scandal (I am disappointed in you, Richard!) I love how you wove Sybil and Branson into this chapter, it worked really well. I love Mary and Matthew united and the tension with Robert was just palpable, adored the way Matthew stuck up for Mary. Guh. I can't stop, I need to read more, byeeeee...!
3/13/2012 c25 Ju-dou
My body was ready! However, now I am peeling myself up from the living room floor.

Oh Lordy this was divine. Just pure unadulterated all kinds of wonderful. I continue to love how you've made the canon fit the ATiL verse with the welcome addition of the most beautiful magical smut ever written. And now I only have five chapters left to read, I may have to spead the remainder across the day as rewards for doing housework. But as that chapter was really split in two I'd better jump on to the next part post haste :))
3/13/2012 c30 3Annie Targaryen
I'm going to miss this story :( I loved it. Perfect ending! :)
3/12/2012 c30 Gumbo42
Great story! Can't wait to see what else you write!
3/12/2012 c30 1OnlyALouse
Oh this is perfect. The perfect ending to a perfect fic (despite how much it hurts me to say it). I can't believe it has ended. This made me so sad :(

It was everything I had ever hoped it would be and so much more - you answered all my wishes for the ending and the reason why I haven't reviewed yet is that the tears were streaming down my face and I couldn't think a coherent thought let alone type a review. That, and I've been away this weekend with the horse. (quickly on other deeply sad news related to horses - Highclere Horse Trials has been cancelled! :O :( I was so looking forward to going and now its been moved to somewhere else :( It deeply saddened me, but this was not what I was here to discuss. Get to the point, Alice, as my history teachers always say to me. Right.)

It was wonderful. Truly amazing. Stupendous. I could go on, but I will say that if you want to know more about my feelings for this chapter, have a look in a thesaurus under the word 'perfect' or 'flawless'. Because that accurately describes this fic. Everything is happy and has come a full circle and is complete. I myself am still unhappy with the fact that ATiL has ended (haven't come to terms with it yet) but this has made it better, because you have done it justice (you are the author after all I don't see how you could not have done it justice) and it was amazing.

I don't know where to start. Lets see, at the beginning? Seems appropriate somehow... There are too many moments to mention them all (the whole chapter?) so here are a select few. I LOVE how you set it on Remembrance Day, so very poignant considering how much they've been through with the war central to all of it. :( :(

The bit that really got me was Kit. :( Tearing up just thinking about it - how she only knew Matthew as absent in that uniform and how Mabel is the first to cotton on because she understands where Kit is coming from and, ugh, so many feelings!

And the ending was well, frankly stupendous. Tremendous. Amazeballs. Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera (you get the gist) Such a fitting end to the story which has been such a wonderful journey. However I am not below begging for a sequel. I really am not, so pleeeease? It would be fantabulous :D And also, I think you need a new project to start on so that you can keep up my procrastination record :D any ideas?

Thank you ever so much for sharing this wonderful wonderful story with us :D Looking forward (hopefully!) to a sequel! :D

Alice x
3/12/2012 c30 157gifts
The characterisations are really good and I think I have mentioned before that I wish your AU was what happened in canon, it flows more seamlessly than what we were shown in Season 2 (I'm guessing Julian Fellowes was gunning for Season 3).

This is a perfect ending to an awesome AU. I enjoyed the story from start to finish, thank you for sharing this with us, its been an amazing ride!

This was my favourite line, don't you just love the simple reasoning of a child.

"You're a… Papa, is your name not really Papa, it's… Oh." Mabel was very confused. She knew enough to understand that everyone had a Papa, but… everybody called her Papa such different things. He was 'darling', or 'Mr. Crawley', but now people seemed to call him 'Lord Grantham' or 'Your Lordship' or 'my dear' and… none of those sounded quite like real names, either.
3/12/2012 c30 36Syblime
I'm going to miss their little family so much! This has been a fabulous story to read, i've enjoyed it so much and I'm sorry to see it end but this was a really fitting finish. Well Done! :D
3/12/2012 c30 18Chickwriter
GAH! A perfect conclusion to a perfect fic. What began as "fix season one" ended up being "fix EVERYTHING" and I found myself every week (and in between) saying YES. THIS. Truly masterful work, and if possible, every single chapter was better than the last. I can't wait to re-read it... and re-read it... and re-read it. Your Mary is a wonder and your Matthew... well, your Matthew is the very best out there. No one writes him better... honestly, not even JF :D

As for this final (wah!) chapter, I didn't think I was going to survive Catherine's reaction to Matthew in his uniform... poor darling. And Mabel's typical big sister reaction... so wonderful. I shall miss these girls... please do write some one-shots with them.
3/12/2012 c30 MistressBlack523
I just love this story so much!

What a fantastic end to the story! I just love how you tied everything back to the beginning, to what happened to them in the war, it was just aja;sdkfa I can't even say how much I loved it.

Matthew's speech, the unveiling, their last conversation and scene together (had me in tears!) just perfect perfect. I was delaying reading the epilogue because I didn't want it to end! I was tearing up through most of it and the end just did me in.

Thank you so so much for writing and sharing this story. It is one of my absolute favourites and I know I'm going to be rereading this for a long time. I'm so sorry I haven't left a review before, but I'm so inadequate with leaving them! lol
3/12/2012 c30 3Stego24
I've already given my general feelings for this story: for this epilogue, I can say that it was a good idea both to have Matthew and Mary as Earl and Countess, and for the characters to look back at the war - both things provide a good sense of resolution. Very sad to see this story end!
3/12/2012 c30 7TrapperII
Unlike you, I wasn't sobbing at the end, but I had one of those big, lush, dewy-eyed kind of grins on my face that make one glad to be sitting alone in front of the computer instead of out in public :)

BRAVO! This was a fabulous end to your story. It tied everything together and just commemorated everything so perfectly. It really hit all the right notes.

This was the first fab line I came across: "An ache of fear fluttered quickly through her, that brief little panic where she forgot that they were safe, now, and happy. The reminder that so often he had left them, that he had been in danger, that he'd been hurt… Yet it mingled with the warm, inevitable stir of desire because he really – really did look very, very fine in it, and she cast her mind to more pleasant memories of freeing him from it in passion…"

That little blurb there seemed to sum up so much of what had come before in this story.

I loved how you portrayed Carson (pitch perfect) and I loved how Matthew is uncomfortable with his son's title.

I absolutely adored the entire scene in the village and the unveiling of the monument - from Matthew's heartfelt and somewhat shocking (and incredibly affecting) speech to Matthew and Mary trying to explain to their girls why it's a good thing his name isn't engraved on the memorial. Then the love scene at the end (potentially the hottest one you've given us because of its intensity and context)and their final conversation ... guh. No words.

Thanks so much for sharing your talents with us! It must feel so crazy to be finished with this story. What epic do you have up your sleeves now? :)
3/12/2012 c30 elise
Oh wow, this story has had me crying, laughing-ever emotion possible; but I have to say that this latest chapter was one of the best chapters I've ever read in my life! I don't mean to sound ott dramatic but I just loved it so much! This whole story has been so well crafted, well written, well thoughtout, I could write an endless list of things you have done brilliantly but I'm sure you don't want to see it! Please, please, please, please, please, please, please write a sequel:)? Even if its just a one-shot! *batts eyelashes pleadingly*!
3/12/2012 c30 52TheSingingGirl
I've been rather neglectful with my reviewing over the past few days, but I'm home now, curled up on the sofa (I'd forgotten how much I liked sofas) with my mother watching bad daytime telly (I haven't missed that) so I can catch up a little!

Anyway, such a lovely ending to this fic. It's rather odd, reading Mary as her Ladyship and Matthew as his Lordship, and so bizarre to hear Bobby called Lord Downton! But it's lovely, the way that Mary's helping Matthew through it, because it gives us a glimpse of her in her rightful place. She feels very natural in the role, making Matthew's job so much easier. Can you imagine if he'd had Lavinia to help him? Poor girl, she was more out of her depth than he was. Thank goodness he has Mary, eh? :)

TSG
3/12/2012 c1 lsfmuk
I've never reviewed a piece of fanfiction before but I just had to since yours has now came to an end. It was brilliant, captured my attention from the very beginning. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and thank u for writing it. I feel very sad that it is now all over.
680 « Prev Page 1 .. 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 .. Last Next »